the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Jadagul » 15 Mar 2018, 06:02

dhex wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 05:56
Saw something called barqs red cream soda yesterday at the gas station shwarma place.

Had to try it.

Big mistake.
Awww, I remember Barqs. Mostly their root beer, but I remember the soda too.

I don't remember an opinion of the soda, though. Not sure I ever tried it.

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2018, 06:04

It most reminded me of the first and last time I had sweet tea. I thought the equipment was broken or someone had made a mistake.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 15 Mar 2018, 06:56

The most telling thing about sweet tea, to me, is that my mother very carefully orders unsweet tea, and then adds like three packets of sugar to it.

But she can't drink the sweet tea because it's too sweet. So how much sugar does that have?

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2018, 08:02

Oh it's fucking vile stuff.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Mar 2018, 09:04

dhex wrote:
Saw something called barqs red cream soda yesterday at the gas station shwarma place.

Had to try it.

Big mistake.
Surprised. They're one of the better root beers you can get at the megamart. Their regular cream soda is pretty good too.
*googles*
Barq's website wrote: Barq's Red Creme Soda is one part creme soda, one part red deliciousness - and we've heard that it also has that "hard to get" quality. so if you're lucky enough to spot it, call friends, stock up, enjoy
"one part red deliciousness"? That does sound bad. Also, Barq's was folded into Coca-Cola somewhere along the line.
dhex wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 08:02
Oh it's [sweet tea] fucking vile stuff.
It is indeed. It's hard to say how sweet Jadagul's mother's tea is though. Tea needs to be sweetened when it's still hot. Sugar added to iced tea mostly just collects on the bottom.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Mar 2018, 09:06

There’s also a difference between sweet tea and sweetened tea. Like it’s normal for restaurants around here or back in CT to have sweetened, but that’s not as sweet as sweet.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Mar 2018, 09:13

nicole wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 09:06
There’s also a difference between sweet tea and sweetened tea. Like it’s normal for restaurants around here or back in CT to have sweetened, but that’s not as sweet as sweet.
So the difference is just the amount of sugar they put in? I don't think you can rely on that distinction being respected.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Mar 2018, 09:20

Sweet Tea is usually sweetened with simple syrup, and is probably twice as sweet as you're going to get iced tea to be when you add sweeteners to it.

If I'm sweetening iced tea, I use half saccharine and half aspartame. You can use less of it (one of each is about as sweet as 3-4 sugar), it dissolves better in cold liquid, and the mixture balances out aftertastes.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Mar 2018, 09:53

Warren wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 09:13
nicole wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 09:06
So the difference is just the amount of sugar they put in? I don't think you can rely on that distinction being respected.
Perhaps not someplace where sweet tea is part of the native cuisine, no. But I mean, I'm never worried that sweetened iced tea in a cooler, like Snapple or Honest Tea or whatever the fuck, is "sweet tea" if it doesn't say "sweet tea."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Mar 2018, 10:00

Barqs is to me uniquely awful among root beers / cream sodas which were only ever a sometimes food and now a never food. They are a little flat and even sweeter than most. IBC was to me top of the mountain on grocery options and they had some gas station presence for a while. A&W after that. Jones' is also pretty decent.

The last time I had any of this was like 20 years ago so ... I have no idea how my body would react now. Probably just esplode into beetus.

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2018, 11:27

this red cream stuff is fucking insane yo.

but yeah, this is regional. if i asked for sweetened iced tea in nyc i'd get something that was a little too sweet, but drinkable. sweet tea in maryland is just plain sugar madness. i can't even imagine what it's like in new orleans. it's bad enough i can't stop eating brothers fried chicken when i'm down here.

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Mar 2018, 11:31

Barq's diet root beer is far and away the best diet root beer available, especially among mass-market root beers (and even IBC). Maybe there's some low-volume, 2-dollar-a-bottle diet root beer that can match it, but I'm not the kind of guy to take a flyer on some expensive root beer.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 15 Mar 2018, 12:43

dhex wrote:

Had to try it.

Big mistake.
I am reliably informed that Barqs got sparks.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Mar 2018, 13:19

I thought it had bite?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Mar 2018, 13:48

Highway wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 09:20
Sweet Tea is usually sweetened with simple syrup, and is probably twice as sweet as you're going to get iced tea to be when you add sweeteners to it.
Yeah, sweet tea is a regional thing that gets sweeter the further south you go.
No syrup needed. The key to it is to sweeten it while it's warm at a ratio of 1.5 - 2cups sugar/gallon. Then chill, not ice. You're looking for a strong beverage that can then be iced later and hold it's own in 90degree weather. I used to add a couple of bags of peppermint tea to the mix to brighten the flavor.

Regarding red soda, I've never had the Barq's stuff but when I was a youth in Texas there was a brand called Big Red which tasted of bubble gum. I was never a fan.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Mar 2018, 14:06

Highway wrote:Barq's diet root beer is far and away the best diet root beer available, especially among mass-market root beers (and even IBC). Maybe there's some low-volume, 2-dollar-a-bottle diet root beer that can match it, but I'm not the kind of guy to take a flyer on some expensive root beer.
A&W is 10x better and same price.

A test - preferred ginger ale? There’s a wrong answer here as well...

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2018, 14:08

The only soda worth drinking is the expensive stuff that comes in glsss bottles. Especially ginger beer.

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Mar 2018, 14:11

dhex wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 14:08
The only soda worth drinking is the expensive stuff that comes in glsss bottles. Especially ginger beer.
This but also context. The best soda I ever had was a fountain Coke, right after a marathon. It was incredible, almost psychedelic.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Mar 2018, 14:13

dhex wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 14:08
Preferably the stuff that leaves your lips burning a little bit. Most ginger beer I find lately is too sweet and mild. :/
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Mar 2018, 14:28

JasonL wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 14:06
Highway wrote:Barq's diet root beer is far and away the best diet root beer available, especially among mass-market root beers (and even IBC). Maybe there's some low-volume, 2-dollar-a-bottle diet root beer that can match it, but I'm not the kind of guy to take a flyer on some expensive root beer.

A&W Diet is swill. Horrible. Worse than store brand diet root beer. And the absolute worst of A&W Diet is at A&W stores. Because most of them don't give a crap about maintenance.

I don't like any ginger ale.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 15 Mar 2018, 15:08

JasonL wrote:

Vernor's.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Mar 2018, 15:12

Vernors is the correct wrong answer. It's monstrously worse than other ginger ale, in a way that to my taste matches the way Barqs is worse than everything else in rootbeerland. It's a flatness and weight and sweetness that is all out of whack to me.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Mar 2018, 15:23

JasonL wrote:

Schweppes
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 15 Mar 2018, 15:25

JasonL wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 15:12
Vernors is the correct wrong answer. It's monstrously worse than other ginger ale, in a way that to my taste matches the way Barqs is worse than everything else in rootbeerland. It's a flatness and weight and sweetness that is all out of whack to me.
Jihad.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Mar 2018, 15:27

That's your answer to everything.