the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Ellie » 30 Jan 2018, 14:04

Krushing it (the k stands for keto) is most achievable with meat-based dishes. The further you go towards trying to replicate carby dishes, the harder it gets to improve past "not bad."

It's like the flip side of vegans, who have amazing cupcakes and shit meat substitutes.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jan 2018, 14:08

I like cauliflower but it isn't rice and it isn't steaks and it isn't chicken wings - all things I've seen claimed over the past 12 months. It's cauliflower. Let it be what it is.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jan 2018, 14:19

pistoffnick wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 13:52
I like mashed cauliflower. If you tart it up with enough roasted garlic, butter and cream cheese; it becomes tasty.
I do cheddar over cream cheese but yes.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Jan 2018, 15:01

I dunno. I like most other cruciferae just fine. I basically rotate the weekly shopping between broccoli, napa cabbage, and bok choy as it is.

Cauliflower just has a weird, funky note to it I just cant get past.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Jan 2018, 15:12

Need I say more?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 30 Jan 2018, 15:33

I think it has too strong a taste to work as a rice substitute, and it's way too much effort to dry it out for a faux-bread product, but mashed cauliflower is great. Even with nothing more than cream and S&P. Though I've stated throwing in turmeric and cayenne, figuring it's a convenient way to get in some beneficial spices, and the earthiness complements the meat. Plus, yellow mash.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 30 Jan 2018, 19:43

Ellie wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 18:57
Stronger flavor than I realized! I added two tablespoons to an almond flour biscuits recipe and it was WAY too much.

I can't put my finger on what the flavor actually is. It's not really yeast, not really toast. It's familiar but I can't name it.
So, not knowing exactly what this toasted yeast tastes like, if you are looking for savory try Vegemite. It's basically yeast that died in a salt bath.

I'm with the peace frog regarding cauliflower. Roasted with garlic, olive oil, red pepper and in the last few minutes topped with Parmesan is a killer meal. Toss a chicken breast on the side of the plate if you want the protein.

EDIT: Oh, I see this is the "things that are NOT food" thread. Carry on with your talk of cauliflower pizza crust.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jan 2018, 20:20

Ellie wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 10:28
There are a few Facebook groups dedicated to vegan keto, and I've peeked into them, but the kookiness annoys me SO FAST, I can't bear it.
Case in motherfucking point, I popped into one today, and within 3 posts was reading about how "vegetable oils are not keto friendly on any level" because "canola oil is inflammatory" and "damages your body on a cellular level" and being told to read some dude named Dr. Axe before I embarrassed myself further.

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Jan 2018, 22:53

Some of them are the nutritional equivalent of a display plaque at the creation museum.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2018, 19:21

I made a grilled cheese sandwich with pimiento cheese in lieu of my usual cheddar-plus-mustard. The result was ... interesting. Not interesting enough to ever repeat the experiment, though.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Feb 2018, 19:56

Jennifer wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 19:21
I made a grilled cheese sandwich with pimiento cheese in lieu of my usual cheddar-plus-mustard. The result was ... interesting. Not interesting enough to ever repeat the experiment, though.
Ah yes pimento cheese. The caviar of the South.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2018, 20:14

Warren wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 19:56
Jennifer wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 19:21
Ah yes pimento cheese. The caviar of the South.
During my last visit to Chattanooga Jeff and I visited this hippie-gourmet hot dog restaurant, and one of the dogs I tried and liked had "their own" pimiento cheese spread on it. So a couple days ago I bought a tub of pimiento cheese to put on my hot dog at home, but the result wasn't worth repeating. Nor was the grilled sandwich I tried tonight, as I mentioned already.

I still have half a tub of pimiento cheese left.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Feb 2018, 00:49

Ellie wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 20:20
Ellie wrote:
There are a few Facebook groups dedicated to vegan keto, and I've peeked into them, but the kookiness annoys me SO FAST, I can't bear it.
Case in motherfucking point, I popped into one today, and within 3 posts was reading about how "vegetable oils are not keto friendly on any level" because "canola oil is inflammatory" and "damages your body on a cellular level" and being told to read some dude named Dr. Axe before I embarrassed myself further.
It is BONKERS how many vegan keto people will jump down your throat if you mention you use vegetable oil. Like, you already gave up animal products AND carbs. You're literally only eating vegetables and fat. But you won't eat fat made from vegetables? Why are you so obsessed with giving up every possible food under the sun?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Feb 2018, 08:27

Ellie wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 00:49
Ellie wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 20:20
Ellie wrote:
It is BONKERS how many vegan keto people will jump down your throat if you mention you use vegetable oil. Like, you already gave up animal products AND carbs. You're literally only eating vegetables and fat. But you won't eat fat made from vegetables? Why are you so obsessed with giving up every possible food under the sun?
They are sinners and only dietary purity can save them.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Feb 2018, 14:16

ya know what's not food? the rice i just burned in my pan because i was toasting it and washing dishes at the same time like a fucking clown.

2nd time in the last six months.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Feb 2018, 14:37

dhex wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 14:16
ya know what's not food? the rice i just burned in my pan because i was toasting it and washing dishes at the same time like a fucking clown.

2nd time in the last six months.
I don't toast my rice anymore. Partly because burning is a real danger that ruins the rice and is a pain in the ass to clean, but mostly because getting the right amount of water and simmer is everything. If boil the rice right, it's not that much better if I toasted it. If I fuck up the boil, toasting doesn't help.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Feb 2018, 16:47

I've started using koshihikari japanese rice in the rice cooker and I can't find a good reason to use any other rice these days. Maybe arborio for risotto but I never make risotto because wife hates it.

But seriously, that stuff is unreal. Firm, bouncy texture for short grain, mild stickiness that you can use to your advantage or blend out with very small amount of oil. Good japanese rice from a cooker, decent olive oil and salt is amazing. I just used it with my gumbo.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Feb 2018, 11:57

I'm starting to get a sense of glee, rather than dread, when I mention canola oil in a vegan keto group. After all these years online I finally understand why trolling can be fun.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Feb 2018, 12:19

Ellie wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 11:57
I'm starting to get a sense of glee, rather than dread, when I mention canola oil in a vegan keto group. After all these years online I finally understand why trolling can be fun.
Why are you not calling it rapeseed oil?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Feb 2018, 12:24

Sandy wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 12:19
Ellie wrote:
That's totes legit.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Feb 2018, 13:07

Ellie wrote:
See - I can get trolling with something you actually believe, or mostly believe. What I don't get is being a normal decent not-nazi human being and trolling with 'funny nazi pepe' stuff. It's kind of why if someone says something that I think of as evil, I don't buy into the whole 'ha ha i got u i was trolling u and u r stupid but u cant be mad bro because i was just trolling and u cant prove i believe this shit' thing. I treat trolls as believing what they say.

You troll vegans about canola because it's amusing but also because you legitimately think that canola is a cromulent cooking ingredient. You may be taking it further than you might otherwise, but I don't buy the ha ha ironic nazi not real nazi thing because I can't wrap my brain around consistently trolling with something you wholeheartedly oppose.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 22 Feb 2018, 13:11

Shut it you beta cuck.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Feb 2018, 13:13

Sandy wrote:
Ellie wrote:
OILSEED JOKES AREN'T FUNNY, KAREN!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Feb 2018, 14:49

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 13:13
Sandy wrote:
Ellie wrote:
OILSEED JOKES AREN'T FUNNY, KAREN!
https://media.giphy.com/media/99nMpPPCivikU/giphy.gif
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2018, 05:56

Saw something called barqs red cream soda yesterday at the gas station shwarma place.

Had to try it.

Big mistake.