the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Jan 2018, 15:33

The only food religion that is okay is Pythagorean isn't, and only if it manifests itself by a willingness to use violence to liberate the three bean casserole.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jan 2018, 16:10

My experience is the food religious treat the food indifferent with pity and condescension while they treat the non religious food enthusiast with shocked vitriol. Yo, I don't care if the chickens eat GMOs. I don't care if they are free range. I only care if they taste good and specifically that they aren't injected with so much saline they won't sear. I don't think locavorism makes a bit of sense. Some things are good from your garden and some things are good from cans. Food preservation strategies are good. Eating "all fresh" food is for rich people who frankly don't care what things taste like in the winter. And so on.

That would get me hung by a majority of food blogger types.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 23 Jan 2018, 17:45

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 15:16
The only kind of people it is okay to be friends with are the ones who never:

1. Talk about their diet, or
2. Talk about food unless it is "that restaurant's good/bad" or "I can't eat that because I would die if I did."
As one of Jason's food enthusiasts, I would object to this. Talking about food, and hour-long conversations about cooking technique, are a cornerstone of social interactions.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 Jan 2018, 17:53

Jadagul wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:45
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

2. Talk about food unless it is "that restaurant's good/bad" or "I can't eat that because I would die if I did."
As one of Jason's food enthusiasts, I would object to this. Talking about food, and hour-long conversations about cooking technique, are a cornerstone of social interactions.
At minute 8, someone is going out the window.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jan 2018, 18:10

Let me put it this way - if the case is me and Jad at dinner, the probability of defenestration would be minimized by food conversations. If you join us, not so much.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Jan 2018, 18:33

I have no issues hearing about cooking. It’s doing it that’s the problem.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 Jan 2018, 19:22

JasonL wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 18:10
Let me put it this way - if the case is me and Jad at dinner, the probability of defenestration would be minimized by food conversations. If you join us, not so much.
I said "someone" because I'm open to throwing myself out to escape.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2018, 19:24

Team Jason. Happy to talk about food and cooking, so long as the underlying premise is about flavor and enjoyment. I can also take a limited amount of health and diet conversation. But I draw the line at diet zealots of all stripes. Your diet dogma is your business and other people are not lesser people because they won't regurgitate your catechism.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 23 Jan 2018, 19:58

Andrew wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:53
Jadagul wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:45
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

At minute 8, someone is going out the window.
This is why one shouldn't have conversations in enclosed environments.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Jan 2018, 20:18

A food conversation between JasonL and Had should actually be interesting because it shouldn't be to hard to get Jad going Alex Jones on the sandwich conspiracy.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jan 2018, 10:28

nicole wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 13:56
Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 10:15
Nope, vegans are the worst if only because they are the hardest to avoid.
I have zero vegan friends. I have multiple keto friends.
I have tried in the past to dabble in "vegan keto" with the occasional fantasy of starting a blog or writing an e-book, since there really isn't much else on the market (probably because the market is about 3 people). In this day and age that would require building a social media following. There are a few Facebook groups dedicated to vegan keto, and I've peeked into them, but the kookiness annoys me SO FAST, I can't bear it.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Jan 2018, 11:34

Making keto bread this am. Seven eggs! Many seeds! Almond flour is fucking really expensive!

Will report back. Tonight is cauliflower crust pizza so like fuck my life?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jan 2018, 11:39

Here's a recipe that only requires 6 eggs! Progress? https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/best-keto-bread/

Cauliflower pizza crust is a rite of passage for all keto cooks :)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jan 2018, 14:06

Speaking of keto cooking (kooking?) I have yeast in the pressure cooker right now, with the hope of getting an ingredient that will add bread-y flavor to almond flour baked goods.

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Jan 2018, 15:24

report: loaf is greasy and weird and the wife loves it. it's more like a banana/pumpkin bread than anything else.

still up for pizza tonight. gonna start ricing cauliflower in about an hour.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jan 2018, 16:43

Ellie wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 14:06
Speaking of keto cooking (kooking?) I have yeast in the pressure cooker right now, with the hope of getting an ingredient that will add bread-y flavor to almond flour baked goods.
Results: not quite the "foxy brown" ambrosia with the "wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread" that they had. Pale brown and smells slightly of toast. I don't know if that means I need to cook it longer or that my pressure cooker just doesn't get as hot as theirs, or what. Still, will be interesting to throw it into biscuits or something and see how it tastes.

I wonder if oven-toasting the yeast would also work? Is the pressure cooker doing something special or is it just that you can throw in a lot more at once and have it brown evenly?

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Jan 2018, 18:57

I know less than zero about pressure cooking.

Cauliflower crust pizza was OK. Pressing water out of cauliflower is difficult. May consider trying again, with cooking the crust on both sides.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jan 2018, 18:57

Stronger flavor than I realized! I added two tablespoons to an almond flour biscuits recipe and it was WAY too much.

I can't put my finger on what the flavor actually is. It's not really yeast, not really toast. It's familiar but I can't name it.

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Jan 2018, 18:58

Malty like a dark milk stout?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jan 2018, 18:58

dhex wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 18:57
Cauliflower crust pizza was OK. Pressing water out of cauliflower is difficult. May consider trying again, with cooking the crust on both sides.
Would salting it and letting it sit before pressing help draw out some of the water? (I know as much about cooking vegetables as you do about pressure cooking.)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jan 2018, 18:59

dhex wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 18:58
Malty like a dark milk stout?
I'm not sure. Obviously, now I need to get a dark milk stout and taste-test it. :D

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Jan 2018, 20:04

apparently you need to small batch the cauliflower and press it.

the end result was worth it for my wife's happiness but not worth it in that it kinda sucked. it wasn't awful, mind you, just kinda not great. i'm used to fucking stone cold crushing it when it comes to cooking so merely ok is like man i wouldn't even wipe my neighbor's dick on that.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Jan 2018, 12:53

Cauliflower is just fucking awful, no matter how it's dressed up. The only time I enjoyed it recently is when it was battered, deep fried, and coated with Buffalo wing sauce. I tried a cauliflower pizza crust this past weekend, and chucked half of it away it was so gross.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jan 2018, 13:47

I love me some cauliflower. Though I seriously doubt it can make an acceptable pizza crust. It's great steamed or roasted, and it's also great in other dishes. Mash it in with potatoes. A really awesome use for cauliflower is to run it through the food processor and make mock couscous.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 30 Jan 2018, 13:52

I like mashed cauliflower. If you tart it up with enough roasted garlic, butter and cream cheese; it becomes tasty.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus