the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by JD » 09 Jul 2018, 17:43

My wife bought a pint of Halo Top ice cream. The tipoffs should have been the words "light ice cream" and "only 280 calories per pint!" I thought the flavor was OK, she did not, but we both thought the texture was nasty; I thought it had a greasy, slick mouthfeel that was not at all like the creaminess of real ice cream. It should also tell you something that the ingredients include erythritol and "prebiotic fiber" - last time I checked, fiber of any kind was not an ice cream ingredient.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Jul 2018, 09:20

Yeah that stuff is GROSS
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Jul 2018, 23:19

Papa John resigns from Papa John's.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... ur-n-word/

At least maybe our pizza will get a little better.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Jul 2018, 23:25

Man, you can't gripe on a conference call about how back in the day, you could drop the n-bomb all the time and drag black people to death behind cars without people taking it the wrong way, anymore.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Jul 2018, 23:33

I hope that that they develop a loveable cartoon mascot and call him "Papa John" as a form of Damnatio Memoriae.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Jul 2018, 00:55

Now finally reading the full story on the Papa John's thing that happened. The most ha ha morissettian part I now just learned is that the entire point of conference call was to coach him on better public relations interactions.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Jul 2018, 02:50

Kolohe wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 00:55
Now finally reading the full story on the Papa John's thing that happened. The most ha ha morissettian part I now just learned is that the entire point of conference call was to coach him on better public relations interactions.
There's an O'Henry story in there. Possibly a meta story where O'Henry and Mark Twain duel it out with brickbats at a distance three quarters of a mile.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jul 2018, 11:04

Almonds don't lactate, so almond milk will be illegal. Next on the chopping block, cream of wheat.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jul 2018, 11:08

What do they plan to call it instead? Almond water? They better not do what pretentious vegans do and spell it "mylk." I'll barf.

That reminds me of something I read last night that made me chuckle: "Coffee with soy milk is just bean water with bean water."
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Jul 2018, 14:04

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 02:50
Kolohe wrote:
There's an O'Henry story in there. Possibly a meta story where O'Henry and Mark Twain duel it out with brickbats at a distance three quarters of a mile.
Schnatter is now complaining of unfairness due to the fact that nobody ever criticized Colonel Sanders for using the n-word. Colonel Sanders died in 1980.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jul 2018, 20:56

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:04
lunchstealer wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Schnatter is now complaining of unfairness due to the fact that nobody ever criticized Colonel Sanders for using the n-word. Colonel Sanders died in 1980.
Wait no. "Colonel Sanders used the N-word" was part of the story the first day it broke.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jul 2018, 15:38

Warren wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 20:56
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:04
lunchstealer wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Wait no. "Colonel Sanders used the N-word" was part of the story the first day it broke.
The version of the story I saw had Sanders' family claiming that, while he used lots of cuss words, he wasn't the type to go for racist commentary. (Although, given the time and place where Sanders lived, I dunno how plausible that is. I do know that among Jim Crow-era racists, even those who were unapologetically in favor of segregation and would even say they wished the south had won, at least some of them had the idea that the word 'nigger' was nonetheless vulgar.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 21 Jul 2018, 22:03

Based on the discussion in some other thread, I tried a chocolate moon pie after my hike today. Like more than a few junk food items, I'm baffled how it can have so much fat and sugar and yet taste like... nothing. Even cardboard might have more taste. If I'm going to have some junk food, I'll grab a snickers bar in the next box over, which is cheaper, fewer calories, and actually tastes like something.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Jul 2018, 22:06

I told you. It’s cardboard and nothing.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Jul 2018, 22:10

Cardboard and nostalgia.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 21 Jul 2018, 22:17

Ellie wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:10
Cardboard and nostalgia.
I guess I'm lucky I didn't have a severe reaction when my nostalgia antibodies kicked in.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Jul 2018, 12:32

Damn, Schnatter must be a real cunt. The board adopted a poison pill to limit his ability to get some control. That's fucking harsh given that presumably he gave them all their jobs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... r-takeover

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2018, 19:29

The latest culinary craze here in goat rope: Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball put out by the local Amish Bakery and Deli (makers of exquisite sandwiches). My understanding is that it's little more than chocolate chips in cream cheese. It is said that one will experience ecstasy from eating (cage free) animal crackers dipped in it. I myself can not say.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Oct 2018, 21:35

I’ve always known this as “cookie dip”. Served with cookie sticks. You know. As a dip.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 02 Oct 2018, 21:36

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 19:29
The latest culinary craze here in goat rope: Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball put out by the local Amish Bakery and Deli (makers of exquisite sandwiches). My understanding is that it's little more than chocolate chips in cream cheese. It is said that one will experience ecstasy from eating (cage free) animal crackers dipped in it. I myself can not say.
Hm, that might be good. Then again, I think chocolate chip cookies and French onion dip aren’t bad.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2018, 22:28

Solitudinarian wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:36
Warren wrote:
Hm, that might be good. Then again, I think chocolate chip cookies and French onion dip aren’t bad.
You're weird
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 02 Oct 2018, 22:34

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 22:28
Solitudinarian wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:36
Warren wrote:
You're weird
It has been suggested in some quarters.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2018, 23:02

JasonL wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:35
I’ve always known this as “cookie dip”. Served with cookie sticks. You know. As a dip.
Wha? *googles* oh dear god
It's a thing.

Between cookie dip and Kavanaugh, I don't want to live in this cold dead world of sin.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Oct 2018, 23:05

JasonL wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:35
What the fuck

That is some civet poop coffee for the rascal scooter squad bullshit
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Oct 2018, 04:29

Warren wrote:
That sounds like a deconstructed cheesecake with chocolate chips.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex