the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Jadagul » 28 Sep 2017, 20:09

nicole wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 17:53
You can tell this person doesn't go to mcdonalds, or she'd know it takes two of these burgers to make an adult sized meal.
Eating less meat: The study posits that “Limiting meat intake worldwide to 40 g/day—the equivalent of one standard fast-food burger per person—could reduce global consumption of antimicrobials in food animals by 66 percent.” This one caught my eye: do we really on average eat more than a burger a day? Turns out, according to the FAO, the global average of meat available per person per day in 2013 was around 42 grams, or about one fast-food burger patty. In the United States, the average is 260 grams a day—or six burgers. Given developing economies’ growing appetite for meat, it may be a stretch to believe that the globe could hold its meat consumption steady for the next 13 years. On the other hand, does a ration of one McDonald’s hamburger-worth of meat every day really sound so hard?
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... r-a-day/#1
I had the same reaction. A real burger is at least, like 1/3 of a pound post-cooked weight. Which is about 150 grams.

So that average is "people eat somewhat less than two meals of meat a day."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Nov 2017, 10:21

I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 13 Nov 2017, 12:43

Ellie wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:21
I always suspected that was the Harvey Weinstein of pizza.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Nov 2017, 20:22

Lately feels like I can't go online without tripping over a fitness blogger talking about collagen in coffee. Maybe it actually does something, but it sounds like junk science, and maybe it's delicious, but all I can envision is a mug of black coffee with chunks of connective cow tissue floating in it :barf barf:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » Yesterday, 07:56

fuck all those people with their shitty coffee hacks
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

tr0g

Post by tr0g » Yesterday, 13:08

dhex wrote:
Yesterday, 07:56
fuck all those people with their shitty coffee hacks
Yes. I don't want grease or peanut butter or omega 3s or rancid yak butter in my coffee. Black, I artificial sweetener, moving right along and fuck your nonsense. I want my caffeine in convenient liquid form with no bullshit.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » Yesterday, 13:13

Jello and beef broth are both food (and have collagen in them).

I don't know that either of them belong in coffee. But then I can't stand coffee in the first place and no amount of any additive can make it better.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » Yesterday, 13:14

What is the argument for using coffee to deliver collagen? I ... I don't understand the point.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » Yesterday, 13:27

JasonL wrote:
Yesterday, 13:14
What is the argument for using coffee to deliver collagen? I ... I don't understand the point.
I suppose if you want smoother coffee but don't want the fat and lactose of cream/half-and-half, and don't want the emulsified cornstarch slurry of 'fat free' 'half-and-half' or 'creamer', maybe collagen or gelatin would work. I like cream and sugar/splenda in my coffee but the best coffee doesn't need it. Most coffee is not the best coffee, especially the coffee that comes my way. Espresso is never the best coffee, because it is burned.

This all reminds me of the fact that there is a stock/broth brand called "College Inn" which amuses me a little bit.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » Yesterday, 13:48

I assumed it was about spiking your collagen with caffeine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » Yesterday, 13:51

lunchstealer wrote:
Yesterday, 13:27
JasonL wrote:
Yesterday, 13:14
I suppose if you want smoother coffee but don't want the fat and lactose of cream/half-and-half, and don't want the emulsified cornstarch slurry of 'fat free' 'half-and-half' or 'creamer', maybe collagen or gelatin would work. I like cream and sugar/splenda in my coffee but the best coffee doesn't need it. Most coffee is not the best coffee, especially the coffee that comes my way. Espresso is never the best coffee, because it is burned.

This all reminds me of the fact that there is a stock/broth brand called "College Inn" which amuses me a little bit.
HAHAHA I never got that!!! I think we even have it right now.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » Today, 16:03

Mary's nephew was selling krispy kreme for some school group he's in. We bought a dozen glazed and they arrived today.
I ate one. It was a disgusting amalgamation of sucrose, fat, and starch. No actual flavor, just dopamine triggers. And now I want another one.
These things aren't food they're culinary crack. Don't even try it once.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » Today, 16:14

Warren wrote:
Today, 16:03
Mary's nephew was selling krispy kreme for some school group he's in. We bought a dozen glazed and they arrived today.
I ate one. It was a disgusting amalgamation of sucrose, fat, and starch. No actual flavor, just dopamine triggers. And now I want another one.
These things aren't food they're culinary crack. Don't even try it once.
Yes, this. I have often wondered what happened to doughnuts during my 20-year exile in Europe. Especially to Krispy Kreme.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”