Premature cancellation

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kwix

Re: Premature cancellation

Post by Kwix » 02 Jun 2017, 20:22

Having just now seen this thread:
Wonderfalls (thirded)
Pushing Daisies
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Jun 2017, 08:35

Maybe next time don't make a show about telepathic lesbians in the present day cost $9 million per episode.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Jun 2017, 13:25

Better Off Ted- literally no one I know saw this show, so I guess it's not a surprise it got cancelled. But I thought it was surprisingly funny for a mainstream network sitcom.

Fifthed on Rome.

Seconded on Luck - great characters that I'm disappointed I won't get to see what else they get up to. Supposedly they did shoot a couple of episodes of the second season before it got cancelled, but it seems we'll never see them.

I also would like to have seen more Bletchley Circle (maybe more of a mini-series, like Black Mirror only a few episodes per). I'm sure it would be hard to keep coming up with excuses for the gang to get back together for another mystery but who cares if it's believable, smart women who are good at crypto are hot!

Saxondale. Great Steve Coogan show, and I liked this character better than Alan Partridge (though I also enjoyed that). Only got 2 'series'.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 03 Jun 2017, 17:41

dead_elvis wrote:Better Off Ted- literally no one I know saw this show, so I guess it's not a surprise it got cancelled. But I thought it was surprisingly funny for a mainstream network sitcom.
Loved it. But I only saw it on Netflix.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Jun 2017, 17:56

Sandy wrote:Maybe next time don't make a show about telepathic lesbians in the present day cost $9 million per episode.
But they were SEXY telepathic lesbians!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2017, 19:12

Ellie wrote:
Sandy wrote:Maybe next time don't make a show about telepathic lesbians in the present day cost $9 million per episode.
But they were SEXY telepathic lesbians!
Every twenty something cast looks the same to me. And I find their sexy to be inversely proportional to the disparity between their age to my own.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 03 Jun 2017, 21:48

Sexy is Ivanova and the psi corps chick. JMS will never top that.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Jun 2017, 05:31

Sandy wrote:Sexy is Ivanova and the psi corps chick. JMS will never top that.
Corps is Mother. Corps's your daddy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Jun 2017, 14:35

Ellie wrote:you still have to come up with dolla dolla bills
Seeing this on another thread totally reminded me! the hustling-small-business-startup-glorification show How to Make it in America (HBO) was cut off too soon. Some really fun characters, though like some straight-man-surrounded-by-colorful-characters shows, it's a drag when the main character is the least entertaining/interesting (I did think Better Off Ted also suffered from this).
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Jun 2017, 14:55

I call that Boring Main Guy Syndrome. It's a common malady on TV. Some shows have the writing/performance/production alchemy to overcome it (eg Burn Notice), others do not (Sons of Anarchy).
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Jun 2017, 15:31

Blake's 7, even if it had a great ending with a slow-building sense of inevitability to it. That was a rare show where the writing actually improved in later seasons (like ST:TNG), and season 5, if they'd swung it, would probably have been pretty good.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem