Premature cancellation

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau

Premature cancellation

Post by thoreau » 11 Aug 2013, 19:24

A thread for TV shows that you wish had not been canceled. Besides Firefly, because, seriously, we've all made that point more than enough times.

A few that come to mind for me:
1) Daybreak: I liked the premise and the execution. I don't know why it didn't get more viewers.
2) John Doe: This series made a lot of mistakes in the first season, but it had promise, and Fox should have done more to support it. Strangely enough, they gave his show more of a chance than they gave Firefly, and it was in the same season. I would have given both shows more of a chance, but Firefly was better than John Doe, making it all the more inexplicable that Fox didn't support it.
3) I'm totally biased here, because the star is a friend, but My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss deserved its full run, if for no other reason than to validate my deduction that the mystery boss must be a random number generator.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Re: Premature cancellation

Post by the innominate one » 11 Aug 2013, 19:28

Greg the Bunny
Andy Richter controls the Universe
The Tick (live action)
Arrested Development
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Aug 2013, 19:42

Jack of all Trades
Jim Henson's Dinosaurs
The Oblongs
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2013, 20:04

The 4400
Angel
Newsradio (though it was the right decision given the circumstances)
Futurama (cancellation just turned it to shit)
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Aug 2013, 20:10

It is a shame that NewsRadio was cancelled, but it just wasn't the same without Phil Hartman. They were starting to go off the rails in any case, though.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2013, 20:18

I do wish someone would find a premise that would work for an Andy Richter series. Because he is hilarious in everything he does.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Aug 2013, 20:23

If they keep making Arrested Development, we can keep enjoying Andy Richter in prime time, even though he's not a main character, he does have five potential characters to play: namely, Andy Richter and his four identical quintuplets.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Aug 2013, 20:30

Human Target

The Finder

Lie To Me

Dirty Sexy Money

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2013, 20:40

Wonderfalls should have been allowed to find its feet.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Aug 2013, 20:46

The Inside. It was a pretty good show, a police procedural, and I liked the star, Rachel Nichols (now of Continuum). It also had Adam Baldwin. I wanted to see the last episode of the first season which evidently involved an obese cannibal who murdered anorexic girls. There was supposed to be a scene where he rode around his Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre-esque lair on a Rascal, but they canceled it before then.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Aug 2013, 20:51

Can't say that Angel was too early, although another season would've been OK.

The Tick wasn't as good live-action as it was animated. Although still good.

My nominees:

Wonderfalls

Babylon 5*

Dollhouse**

* asterisk. If you don't have to ask, you know.

** Whedon took too long to establish the arc, so I understand the cancellation, but it was starting to get rolling as a decent show by the end.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2013, 21:49

I'm unfamiliar with three out of four shows mentioned on this thread. Most of the ones I do know can rust on the ash heap of history as far as I'm concerned.

I nominate:

The Kids From C.A.P.E.R.
Beakman's World1
Rome

1 This show actually had a good run if you could watch it straight. Problem was it went to syndication and it kept getting dropped, picked up, and moved around (pre DVR era) so that just about the time you found it, you'd lose it again.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Aug 2013, 21:55

Veronica Mars. I understand there may be a movie in the works.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2013, 21:57

the innominate one wrote:Veronica Mars. I understand there may be a movie in the works.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Aug 2013, 02:41

Those shows Fox started up in an attempt to capitalize on The X-Files in 1995 (and then canned at the end of the season) were better than they had any right to be.

* VR. 5
* Strange Luck
* Space: Above and Beyond
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Aug 2013, 04:12

Terriers
Rubicon
Robbery Homicide Division
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Aug 2013, 04:15

Fin Fang Foom wrote:The Inside. It was a pretty good show, a police procedural, and I liked the star, Rachel Nichols (now of Continuum). It also had Adam Baldwin. I wanted to see the last episode of the first season which evidently involved an obese cannibal who murdered anorexic girls. There was supposed to be a scene where he rode around his Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre-esque lair on a Rascal, but they canceled it before then.
Apparently that aired in the UK.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 12 Aug 2013, 11:01

Second on Rome, since the time following Augustus's ascension to power is ripe for docu-drama. Luckily, it covers a large enough span of time that new episodes with new actors down the road would more feasible than most other shows.

Also, Carnivàle...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Aug 2013, 11:07

Controversy - I thought even the second season of Rome was too much. Or wasn't done right. Something. Season 1 was 10X better is what I'm saying.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 12 Aug 2013, 11:10

JasonL wrote:Controversy - I thought even the second season of Rome was too much. Or wasn't done right. Something. Season 1 was 10X better is what I'm saying.
A agree, but I still enjoyed it because I was invested in the characters by then. From what I heard, the cancellation was a surprise in the middle of filming, and they had to shoehorn the termination of several plot points into the last few episodes.

EDIT: No, I agree...
Last edited by Taktix® on 12 Aug 2013, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Aug 2013, 11:24

JasonL wrote:Controversy - I thought even the second season of Rome was too much. Or wasn't done right. Something. Season 1 was 10X better is what I'm saying.
Also agree. Maybe a third season of Romewould have been good, but it would have had to introduce entirely new protagonists.

Agree on Carnivàle and let's throw Deadwood onto the list HBO foolishly cancelled before their time. I'd have liked to have seen some other network give No 1 Ladies Detective Agency a chance after its abrupt HBO cancellation. HBO wasn't the right channel, it wasn't edgy enough either as a comedy or a detective show, but it was a good adaptation of the books, themselves wonderful light reads.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Aug 2013, 11:28

Taktix® wrote:
A agree, but I still enjoyed it because I was invested in the characters by then.
Thirded. But that's a fixable problem.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Aug 2013, 11:29

Still irritated they canned Alphas without at least closing things up a bit better.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Aug 2013, 11:49

Eek, I forgot about Carnivale. And United States of Tara. Both were series where it was quite obvious the cancellation notices came much earlier than the writers intended, so they had to either hurry up and tack on some half-assed plot resolutions, or they outright ignored them and left the story hanging.

I hope they don't do something similar with Game of Thrones: the last episode shows a sleepy-eyed tousle-haired Arya waking up in bed one morning and hearing her dad sing in the shower, and then she realizes the whole show was just a bad dream.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Aug 2013, 11:59

Rome - Thirded. And as others have pointed out they got cancelled like half way through filming the second season so the last season was kind of a hurried affair.
Deadwood - Not technically cancelled but abandoned. They should have staged an intervention before the head writer left to do Jon from Cincinnati.
Angel - Needed one more season.