Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL »

Russ Roberts advertised for Plantronic headsets. We are doomed.

nicole

Post by nicole »

JasonL wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 11:08
Russ Roberts advertised for Plantronic headsets. We are doomed.
Whaaat

Man
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex »

i have a plantronics headset that's really good what did i do
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

nicole

Post by nicole »

Haha me too but still

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It is a hilariously bad read. I heart RR so much tho. He's so earnest he can't sell.

dhex

Post by dhex »

yeah he could talk a dead guy to sleep
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

nicole

Post by nicole »

I love your sig so much dhex

dhex

Post by dhex »

i am joose driving all of my pre-employment forms this am bc fuuuuuck you steroids

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Cum Town has the best ad reads.

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 09:53
Reason isn't alone.
iTunes needs to add a TiVo skip ahead button.
The phone app does.

What I really want in my car is tivo for radio, that buffers the previous 30 minutes of air time and lets you skip back to re-hear something you missed because you were yelling at that prick.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

lunchstealer wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 22:54
Warren wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 09:53
Reason isn't alone.
iTunes needs to add a TiVo skip ahead button.
The phone app does.

What I really want in my car is tivo for radio, that buffers the previous 30 minutes of air time and lets you skip back to re-hear something you missed because you were yelling at that prick.
Might be promising:

https://www.adblockradio.com/en/
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

You guys hear the Errol Morris 5thC episode? He was a good interview talking about his Bannon documentary, and I thought he was pretty honest about his reactions to the piece and Bannon. His comments about the complete denial of "normal people" (the left) that Trump actually won are on point. They can't live in a world where they lost to that guy and spend all their time on things like "it was a trick" or "let's undo it" or whatever.

I will say though - he resists the idea that Bannon is a populist, which I find odd. He very clearly is a populist, even if he's other things too. He sees himself as a representative of a people's revolution - he uses that language. He also was entirely successful in tapping into similar instincts among lots of people. Ultimately, he doesn't take seriously enough the idea that there is as much resonance with right populism as there is with left populism and the two share a lot in common. I think he wants to preserve the left narrative that populism is their turf, that when put to a fair vote of The People, that favors the left. Even very smart people of the left need to get over that. They need to understand what happened by taking seriously that Bannon and cheeto tapped into a thing they've been trying to mobilize and it doesn't look like what they wanted it to.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 14:38
You guys hear the Errol Morris 5thC episode? He was a good interview talking about his Bannon documentary, and I thought he was pretty honest about his reactions to the piece and Bannon. His comments about the complete denial of "normal people" (the left) that Trump actually won are on point. They can't live in a world where they lost to that guy and spend all their time on things like "it was a trick" or "let's undo it" or whatever.

I will say though - he resists the idea that Bannon is a populist, which I find odd. He very clearly is a populist, even if he's other things too. He sees himself as a representative of a people's revolution - he uses that language. He also was entirely successful in tapping into similar instincts among lots of people. Ultimately, he doesn't take seriously enough the idea that there is as much resonance with right populism as there is with left populism and the two share a lot in common. I think he wants to preserve the left narrative that populism is their turf, that when put to a fair vote of The People, that favors the left. Even very smart people of the left need to get over that. They need to understand what happened by taking seriously that Bannon and cheeto tapped into a thing they've been trying to mobilize and it doesn't look like what they wanted it to.
I heard it. I also heard Gillespie interview him. I think Morris is about the only political documentary film maker I can stomach. The reason I like his docs, is he doesn't feel the need to guild the lily. When he thinks the subject of his doc is a monster of one sort or another and he wants them to hang themselves with their own words. That's why even though the film is clearly painting them as the bad guy, Rumsfeld and Bannon didn't make any objections to the way they were portrayed. Morris let them speak for themselves and tried to edit the interview honestly. Nothing is taken out of context, or misrepresented. But he thinks all sane individuals should agree with him that the guy is evil. He makes no room for the possibility that intelligent well meaning people can have a different perspective. So while I'll watch his film, I don't want to hear him mope about how some people didn't come out with the take away he intended.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren »

Holy cow has Jonah Goldberg gotten less noxious since the GOP went all in with Trump. His one conversation/two podcasts double "interviews" with Gillespie is a lot to chew on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

5thC Patreon only dispatch 4 in which Kmele has watched Mandingo and yea found it racist. Also a discussion of engineers disease in which engineers think they understand “systems” and so keep trying to tell everyone else how things really work even when they have limited direct knowledge of the subject.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Systems engineers ugh. I don't even think of them as true Scotsman engineers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It was a Welch comment about the mindset from his dad who was an aero engineer who kept trying to explain to Matt the "real" situation in eastern europe.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 14:45
It was a Welch comment about the mindset from his dad who was an aero engineer who kept trying to explain to Matt the "real" situation in eastern europe.
When I worked in aerospace, it was all systems engineers. They live in the land of 'shall'. The whole of the job is writing/signing off on, the specs. i.e. The widget shall fit in the box. The output shall be within +/-1 unit of set point. etc.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren »

The Reason Interview
Listening to Gillespie slap around Molly Jong-Fast for 68 minutes was time well spent.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Been doing some Hidden Forces. It's often quite technical - I think Demetri Kofinas may have done some finance at some point for example, but it is interesting interviews that presume a certain level of current knowledge of the world and the subject matter. Heterodox takes on many things. Curious what others might think about the recent one with Michael Lind on Class War. It is a take on that comment I made in a thread recently that I feel like populist moments are always accompanied by finger wagging telling us to do empower populists so they aren't empowered periodically. He argues as I do against current Trumpism as being a continuation of the southern strategy in the right. He supports the idea that trumpism and left populism both are reflections of powerlessness in the face of neoliberal institutions. I'm not sure I buy the overall take but it's interesting and smartly argued.

https://hiddenforces.io/podcasts/new-cl ... hael-lind/

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 15:32
He supports the idea that trumpism and left populism both are reflections of powerlessness in the face of neoliberal institutions.
That's my basic theory of the world. Brexit is also a symptom.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

What does neoliberalism mean in your context? (I've just heard it slung around for so many different things that I can't remember what it's "supposed" to refer to.)
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

In this context it means that there is a consensus that emerged in the post cold war era that The Good is democracy, trade, societal openness, increased social liberalism, and maybe we can argue about tax rates but really those things are good and if you don't want them you are wrong/dumb. Neoliberal institutions are things like say the EU, NAFTA and other trade deals, and even democracy promotion. The argument goes that Trump isn't about immigration in the US per se, but about the idea that many people felt like it wasn't even arguable - all parties agreed that decent levels of immigration were good. Brexit similarly is about Britons not being able to "have a say" against EU migration rules. So, in one sense, the argument is that these institutions of the smart classes are designed and people who lose their jobs are just supposed to accept it as part of the greater good and eventually they get mad about it and vote for clowns.

My problem with this thesis is kind of what does power really mean, aren't you really just lying to people if they leave the EU and act like now you can all have your jobs back? So there's this element of yes people may feel this way, but no they really aren't sophisticated in their desires and to the extent they have real power they will do dumb things. They ARE wrong and the sense of power that's supposed to make this all better is either illusory or we all live in a dumb world.

ETA: I think France is instructive. Broad worker protections of every sort, still not enough. How dumb do you want to be with 12% persistent unemployment?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Well yeah but that's the history of populism forever. Some demagogue seizes onto the grumbling of the great unwashed and whips them into a frenzy by promising to string up the elites and give the power back to the people. But even if they could deliver they don't really want to. In the best case scenario the demagogue gets rich bilking people at rallies and flees the country, in the worst case scenario they actually get elected and its runaway inflation, brain drains, madame guillotine, death squads, gulags, and death camps.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 16:18
Well yeah but that's the history of populism forever. Some demagogue seizes onto the grumbling of the great unwashed and whips them into a frenzy by promising to string up the elites and give the power back to the people. But even if they could deliver they don't really want to. In the best case scenario the demagogue gets rich bilking people at rallies and flees the country, in the worst case scenario they actually get elected and its runaway inflation, brain drains, madame guillotine, death squads, gulags, and death camps.
Yeah dude here proposes a remedy in the form of something something unions as a way for participation through organization as well as wage share to create power that will make people feel better. He argues against UBI as an answer because it doesn't get to cultural power and even would run the other way in most cultural narratives. On the global stage, since we are viewing this as a global issue, there's scant evidence that union things or even strong worker protections in law are a hedge against yellow vests the first time you want to raise gas taxes to theoretically save the planet.

My own take is that the powerlessness comes from a basically correct sense that some activities are so dominatingly more potent than others and that threatens identity of people who had self narratives about "the real workers like me are doing the real important things ... with our hands". That will be less and less true as time goes on. I'm not sure how to make it better, but I'm skeptical that "cripple very valuable work" is an answer of any sort.