Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 13 Mar 2019, 09:51

It's the funding mechanism rather than the idea of UBI itself that may have some effect on the general price level. Yang wants a VAT that is pretty pervasive in the economy to capture a piece of most transactions. That would, it seems to me, create upward push on prices generally because it's a universal increase in cost structure. It would also put downward pressure on the volume of transactions that are executed as all sales taxes do, i.e. net of the tax a marginal purchase won't be worth it.

The question is what is the magnitude of the price effect relative to the magnitude of the effect of giving people money to spend. I don't know the answer to that or even how to guess it. People fond of these things are very generous as Yang is in the assumptions of demand driven growth and the power of the multiplier. I'm quite a bit skeptical about the multiplier being large and I think the the total effect of higher prices is significantly under appreciated by fans.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2019, 10:26

Dangerman wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 09:15
Does anyone have a good explanation for why prices won't just rise to wipe out the gains of UBI? Is it because the payments are balanced against not using other safety net services?
There's a lot of stuff the money can go to, luxury and staple. So all of it will go up a little due to inflationary effects. However, it is sufficiently broad based, that it has sufficiently poverty amelioration effects. So goes the theory.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Mar 2019, 17:39

JFC have you guys heard this deep cut on Alex Jones?

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/670/be ... /act-two-2

The guy is a crazy person. What I don't understand and have very uncharitable views about is ... how can there be fans of this person? Why is stupid ass conspiracy so potent a force that you just have to mouth the words at any arbitrary degree of awfulness and people jump right in there with you?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Mar 2019, 19:57

JasonL wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 17:39

The guy is a crazy person. What I don't understand and have very uncharitable views about is ... how can there be fans of this person? Why is stupid ass conspiracy so potent a force that you just have to mouth the words at any arbitrary degree of awfulness and people jump right in there with you?
Bitches be crazy, if I understand the recent social psychology papers on the subject.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Mar 2019, 20:25

JasonL wrote:

You just today became aware of the crazy that is Alex Jones?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Mar 2019, 21:25

Jon Ronson seems like a cool guy but his name sounds so fake that I find it hard to remember to take him seriously.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Mar 2019, 06:56

JasonL wrote:

the answer to your question is yes.

i heard a lot of secondhand alex jones after 9/11 in ny. it became a thing my more paranoid friends used as entertainment/framing.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Mar 2019, 15:37

I subscribe to the view that social median has turned a light on the various moonbat cockroaches we didn't want to believe existed in large numbers.
There is a corollary view that social media has facilitated a population explosion of moonbats. I think there's something to that too, but it's usually overstated. Wackadoodles have always been there and I think it's more true that we take more notice of them than there are many more of them or that they've become more organized, dangerous, etc.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Mar 2019, 15:44

Counter point. We have measles now and a birther won a presidential election.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Mar 2019, 01:24

A spherical birfer in a vacuum no less.

Also, MMR vaccination rates are pretty consistent all the way back to the dial-up era.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Mar 2019, 09:40

Hugh Akston wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 01:24

Also, MMR vaccination rates are pretty consistent all the way back to the dial-up era.
That is interesting. The outbreaks are because of concentrations among the unvaccinated I guess then.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Mar 2019, 10:46

I'm listening to that now, it's wild. Having Jon Robson talk interview blue collar Texas football coaches with His. Careful. Diction. gives this piece a strange wildlife documentary feel.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 20 Mar 2019, 22:41

JasonL wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 09:40
Hugh Akston wrote:

That is interesting. The outbreaks are because of concentrations among the unvaccinated I guess then.
So, that's a positive mark for social media, yeah?
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Mar 2019, 01:46

Kwix wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 22:41
JasonL wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

So, that's a positive mark for social media, yeah?
It's mostly that social media's impact on the anti-vax movement is unclear. It's obviously amplifying dumbshit ignorance, but it's also amplifying expert information, so who knows?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Mar 2019, 07:17

JasonL wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

Also, I suspect international travel has increased from places without much vaccination as well. I am surprised that vaccination rates have not changed appreciably.

https://ourworldindata.org/tourism
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Apr 2019, 20:57

Andrew Sullivan is quite the catch for the 5thC, but his was a very boring episode. They spent half the time talking about teh gayz. And then at the end about Roman Catholic Church. Two topics I've heard all I ever care to already. The immigration bit in the middle wasn't bad.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT