Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by nicole » 19 Aug 2017, 15:12

Warren wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 13:20
nicole wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 12:55
He was.

I finished it this morning and I have to say, Kmele with Deray was like, exactly why I'm not really a Kmele fan. Like at the end, when Deray says, well money is just a social construct, do you want to get rid of money? Kmele has to just lamely be like, "It's different, it's different," without being able to explain why. He could have said, "Well, some people who really want to end wealth inequalities do want to get rid of money, so if you want to end racial inequalities why don't you want to get rid of race?" I mean, just because Kmele doesn't want to get rid of money doesn't make it not a thing, he should be able to explain why not just like Deray should be able to explain why he wants to continue to see race.
Maybe because he wanted to allow Deray more time to speak his mind?
He said "money is a medium of exchange". What is served by repeating that?
I don't want him to repeat that. I want him to say something entirely different. Make Deray argue there is a positive value to keeping the social construction of race.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Aug 2017, 18:14

Ahh jeeze

I haven't listened to this episode yet. That doesn't sound amazing
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Aug 2017, 18:36

dhex wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 18:14
Ahh jeeze

It is relatively brief and at the end.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Aug 2017, 20:48

Sebastian Gorka has a message for you:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Aug 2017, 09:29

I've been to the Chapo sub on reddit. Before I listen to that, it's it what I'd think from observing the fans?
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Aug 2017, 16:14

I just liked James Adomian's Gorka impression. Ignore the rest.

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Aug 2017, 21:09

nicole wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 18:36
dhex wrote:
Ahh jeeze

it was...ok. mostly a very good episode. i kinda wish kmele would just be more outright with "i think xyz" rather than beating around the bush about it.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Aug 2017, 21:58

dhex wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 21:09
nicole wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 18:36
dhex wrote:
Ahh jeeze
it was...ok. mostly a very good episode. i kinda wish kmele would just be more outright with "i think xyz" rather than beating around the bush about it.
Yeah I don't know if he's just like that or he takes his hosting role to mean he can't just proffer his opinion.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2017, 22:00

I think it's a rhetorical thing where he wants to lead you to something. Is annoying though.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Aug 2017, 11:15

Been meaning to say for a couple days, the John McWhorter EconTalk is really good. I'm sure you guys would enjoy it. I think it has the best explanation of pragmatics for laypeople I've ever heard.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Aug 2017, 13:25

Listening to it right now.

Edit: Wait, I haven't finished. Do they cover 'Right now', because that's a thing, right?
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Aug 2017, 14:14

Dangerman wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 13:25
Listening to it right now.

Edit: Wait, I haven't finished. Do they cover 'Right now', because that's a thing, right?
Ha I don't think rn came up.

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Aug 2017, 21:22

this is a pretty good show. (sorry, "'cast")

i disagree with the daily beast guy. ironic nazis are a thing. they were a thing in 2007 when i wrote my ma thesis on 4chan. it's a significant failure of imagination, but anime + antinomian overdose = something something get off my lawn, fritz

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Aug 2017, 23:57

dhex wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 21:22
this is a pretty good show. (sorry, "'cast")

i disagree with the daily beast guy. ironic nazis are a thing. they were a thing in 2007 when i wrote my ma thesis on 4chan. it's a significant failure of imagination, but anime + antinomian overdose = something something get off my lawn, fritz
I'm Moynihanian on the state of the Nazi menace. They gathered their ranks from across the land, and even the sea, and they mustered in the mere hundreds. They were weighed, they were measured, and they were found wanting.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Aug 2017, 23:58

That guy's voice is kind of amazing tho

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Aug 2017, 02:18

It is. Plus it's nice to hear severe disagreement without moralizing acrimony.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Aug 2017, 09:48

Has kind of a Tom Waits thing going on.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Aug 2017, 12:29

I love Siegel; he's so good I almost didn't miss Moynihan.

I also really liked the point he made about South Park. There are people who point out hypocrites to say, "you should actually follow the principle," and there are other who do it to say, "look, this proves your principle is wrong." The alt right are the latter and it's a big part of why they're so gross.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Aug 2017, 12:48

That was a good point. The whole "dangerous South Park right" angle was obvious from the jump just a way to say "anyone who makes fun of the left ever is basically a nazi".

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 30 Aug 2017, 03:21

dhex, you know you want to listen.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Sep 2017, 17:10

Welch is on fire this week.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Sep 2017, 18:16

LOL, Nick Mullen is in an IBM commercial with Big Bird & Oscar the Grouch.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Sep 2017, 13:44

Night Vale presents I Only Listen to The Mountain Goats

I think this is "I don't even own a TV" in podcast form, but I also think this one will probably be a thing I listen to.
I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats

A collaboration between Night Vale Presents, the Mountain Goats, and Merge Records, I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats is a podcast about what it means to be an artist, what it means to be a fan, and what it means to be, as many people are, both at once.

The show finds Joseph Fink, creator of Welcome to Night Vale and Alice Isn’t Dead, in conversation with one of his artistic heroes, John Darnielle, singer and songwriter of the Mountain Goats. Season One explores the stories behind the Mountain Goats’ album All Hail West Texas, one song at a time.

In each episode, John, Joseph, and special guests discuss songwriting, storytelling, current events, and the art and artists that inspire them. Each episode will also premiere a brand new cover version of the song discussed that week, recorded just for the podcast by artists like Amanda Palmer, Andrew Bird, and Dessa.

Season One of I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats premieres September 28, 2017.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Sep 2017, 18:02

I've started listening to FSCK Em All by T. Greg Doucette. He's a crim defense lawyer that reminds me of Radley Balko, but with a bit more attitude. Unlike Radley, he offers several nut-punches a week, commenting on crim justice cases and politics in general. I've only listened to a couple, so I don't know if he ever has guests on. The ones I did listen to, it was only him.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Sep 2017, 19:11

Jasper wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 18:02
I've started listening to FSCK Em All by T. Greg Doucette. He's a crim defense lawyer that reminds me of Radley Balko, but with a bit more attitude. Unlike Radley, he offers several nut-punches a week, commenting on crim justice cases and politics in general. I've only listened to a couple, so I don't know if he ever has guests on. The ones I did listen to, it was only him.
Sounds interesting. Got a fav ep?