Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2857
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Jasper » 28 Feb 2018, 16:40

I tried the Sub-Standard a couple times (at a party,) but I didn't like it. I promise I won't do it again.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2592
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Jake » 28 Feb 2018, 17:42

Hooray! I finally learned what CBT (in the non-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy sense) stands for!

...aaaaaand now I want to forget!
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15431
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by dhex » 28 Feb 2018, 23:21

Ellie wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 11:45
lunchstealer wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:27
Mo wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:20
CBT*?

* I do not mean cognitive behavioral therapy here.
One assumes that the 'T' rhymes with "enhanced interrogation'?
I have a book on my shelf entitled Beat Low Self-Esteem with CBT and it still amuses me every time I see it.
Oh God I'd have to turn it spine in just to get through the day. Having a rough one? Flip it over and all that is old is made new again. Joy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 28 Feb 2018, 23:33

Jake wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 17:42
Hooray! I finally learned what CBT (in the non-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy sense) stands for!

...aaaaaand now I want to forget!
They grow up so fast *wipes tear*
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15988
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Mar 2018, 01:33

Speaking of CBT, I will probably not be listening to Chuck Tingle's "Pounded in the Butt by My Own Podcast"

https://play.radiopublic.com/pounded-in ... b61dc96016
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2018, 12:01

The This American Life covering #metoo is pretty interesting. It focuses on women telling stories about alternet bro and their mental states about the whole thing over the years. It’s the sort of thing I don’t think I get a picture of very often. Struck me as pretty genuine reflection.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 15:32

JasonL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 12:01
The This American Life covering #metoo is pretty interesting. It focuses on women telling stories about alternet bro and their mental states about the whole thing over the years. It’s the sort of thing I don’t think I get a picture of very often. Struck me as pretty genuine reflection.
I'll give it a listen, but honestly this is the reason I don't listen to TAL anymore. They decided to be relevant.

ETA
AAAAARRGGGHHH NO NO NO NO
Just no.
My blood pressure was up just from the prologue. I got as far as act 1: I met him, I dated him, I followed him to his apartment, I made out with him, we got naked, THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN HE WAS INSIDE ME :o

*clap*
I'm out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2018, 16:17

I ... don’t understand. That’s a weird way to take that story.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 17:52

JasonL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 16:17
I ... don’t understand. That’s a weird way to take that story.
I don't understand. That's not a "take" on the story, it's an abbreviated version of what she said. Aside from the allcaps it isn't colored or interpreted. That is the story she told.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2018, 18:02

You are talking about the first encounter where no protection discussion was had?

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 18:10

JasonL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:02
You are talking about the first encounter where no protection discussion was had?
I think so. She said she was surprised because he didn't stop to go get a condom.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2018, 18:46

Warren wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:10
JasonL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:02
You are talking about the first encounter where no protection discussion was had?
I think so. She said she was surprised because he didn't stop to go get a condom.
And that was enough to prove something something? Is your view that her story in total didn't have anything you'd sweat about in it or did you stop there because whatever?

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 18:49

JasonL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:46
Warren wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:10
JasonL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:02
You are talking about the first encounter where no protection discussion was had?
I think so. She said she was surprised because he didn't stop to go get a condom.
And that was enough to prove something something? Is your view that her story in total didn't have anything you'd sweat about in it or did you stop there because whatever?
Because the whole tone is that this is something that happened to her.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2018, 18:53

It doesn’t get to be a data point on the way?

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 18:57

I don't understand what that means.

This whole show is presented as part of the "me too" thing. Which is all about sexual harassment in the workplace. The entire point of the whole thing is to expose the commonplace abuse of professional power. Women are victims.
Are we talking about actual adult human beings or fictional characters? Do these women have agency?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2018, 20:30

Every data point is not presented as the worst possible thing and explicitly in this segment she’s says exactly that this wasn’t the worst thing. It’s context. You .... you’ve heard of it?

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 20:38

JasonL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:30
Every data point is not presented as the worst possible thing and explicitly in this segment she’s says exactly that this wasn’t the worst thing. It’s context. You .... you’ve heard of it?
I think I read about it in some class I took to fill my liberal arts requirements.
What did you get out of it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2018, 21:13

All in - a set of perspectives I found interesting.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15988
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Mar 2018, 21:22

Warren wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:57
I don't understand what that means.

This whole show is presented as part of the "me too" thing. Which is all about sexual harassment in the workplace. The entire point of the whole thing is to expose the commonplace abuse of professional power. Women are victims.
You're thinking of "Time's Up". #MeToo is much broader and is about all kinds of sexual harassment, assault, etc.

That said, I've had surprise "hey wait we're going there already what about a condom" thing happen to me, too. The logistics make it somewhat less likely to happen to a dude than to a woman, but it's hardly impossible.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 09 Mar 2018, 10:01

To expand a bit, there was quite a bit of nuance in the stories told where at various points women acknowledge why they assented to certain behaviors, where the breaking point was, how they contextualized in different ways - including some ways that were not flattering. There's a lot of "i had the feeling I was the powerful one - that this successful guy needed me" kind things in there. It's the sort of internal dialogue normal dudes don't get to hear very often. I'll leave it to others to opine on how generalizable these stories are, but they were interesting.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 09 Mar 2018, 11:04

JasonL wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 10:01
To expand a bit, there was quite a bit of nuance in the stories told where at various points women acknowledge why they assented to certain behaviors, where the breaking point was, how they contextualized in different ways - including some ways that were not flattering. There's a lot of "i had the feeling I was the powerful one - that this successful guy needed me" kind things in there. It's the sort of internal dialogue normal dudes don't get to hear very often. I'll leave it to others to opine on how generalizable these stories are, but they were interesting.
So we're talking about a guy that was forced out of an executive position right? And it's these women's stories that are behind that right? If that's not right, then the context is very different. Because when you say "i had the feeling I was the powerful one - that this successful guy needed me", what I hear is "I thought I could use sex to manipulate my boss but it turned out he was manipulating me so fuck him".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 09 Mar 2018, 11:43

The whole point is it isn't all one thing or all the other. In aggregate the dude is really hard to defend. That is, if you do the whole story and document just things he said and did. These stories are a bit of a view into how does that kind of behavior go on so long without consequences. Some of the answer to that is like you say, some of it is more nuanced. I don't think it's necessary to hold some religious belief that all metoo claims are reasonable or that all of them are exaggerated and women are treated no differently from men in this regard, which I think is a foolish view on its face.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 09 Mar 2018, 11:49

JasonL wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 11:43
I don't think it's necessary to hold some religious belief that all metoo claims are reasonable or that all of them are exaggerated and women are treated no differently from men in this regard, which I think is a foolish view on its face.
Neither do I. And I don't thing anything I've said can reasonably be interpreted that way.
I'm looking at actions, consequences, and how do we as a society govern ourselves.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24428
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 15 Apr 2018, 19:11

Well fuck. Since about Y2K I've binge listened to This American Life about once ever 18 months or so. I was all set to start in on it again. I looked over the past year's worth of archives and actually started on three different programs. It seems TAL is now all in on Public Radio Anti-Rightism. Fuck that noise. I use to really get a lot out of that show. This blows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18008
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by dbcooper » 07 Jun 2018, 08:55

Cum Town did a deep dive into reddit to find out if it's still OK to make fun of adult virgins.

Ah, cruel but funny.

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/patr ... ioZOZ1.mp3
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests