Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jul 2013, 18:47

I haven't been listening to any podcasts for a while, mainly because I was mostly listening to the various WOXY new-music and live performance podcasts before they shut down. I'm planning to give a listen to the first episode of Welcome to Night Vale because it got a bit of random hype and sounded interesting.

Anyone else following any podcasts?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Jul 2013, 19:10

I am also interested in this topic, and would expand it to recommendations for good internet radio stations (via Iheartradio). I have been listening to KOA from Colorado in the mornings. And while the morning noozcasts are decent enough, listening to Mike Rosen soil his drawers over terrorism every morning has grown pretty tiresome. So recommendations for anything political/talky that isn't insane would be much appreciated.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Jul 2013, 19:22

I listen to the anandtech one sometimes.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Jul 2013, 21:38

i sometimes listen to anandtech, radiolab, bleep. i listen to a lot more work-related stuff but i think that's more a factor of the incredibly overdriven self promotion requirement of this field.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jul 2013, 22:06

Ok, I listened to the first episode of Welcome to Night Vale on the way home, and I kept grinning and bursting out into laughter. It's exactly what it says on the tin: a community radio show from a desert town deep in paranormal folklore. Except 1) the weather is replaced by music, and 2) it's at least twice as smartly-written as you'd expect. I don't think you'll need to know your MiBs from your EMFs to enjoy it, though.

Red button* warning: one mild dig at the NRA.

I actually wonder how later episodes will measure up.

* I'm going to try to spread this one as "like a trigger warning, but just for things that anger or irritate". Now that I've said that nobody else will ever use it, of course.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jul 2013, 22:07

dhex wrote:i sometimes listen to anandtech, radiolab, bleep. i listen to a lot more work-related stuff but i think that's more a factor of the incredibly overdriven self promotion requirement of this field.
What would be an example of those?

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jul 2013, 22:21

Last week on Soundcheck, which I don't usually listen too, they did a weeklong thing on the music of the Summer of '93*. I enjoyed the fuck out of that.

* Unofficially known as the original "Summer of Mo"
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jul 2013, 00:09

The only podcasts I listen to are This American Life and Penn's Sunday School.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Jul 2013, 10:22

I need new content. I do TAL, EconTalk, Radiolab, Planet Money, the BS Report, and sometimes Wine for Normal People. I'm retiring WFNP because the content is okay but they allow it to ramble. The blog is better and still recommended. Others of these are getting worn.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 24 Jul 2013, 10:46

I've got various episodes of....

Radiolab
Freakonomics
The History of Philosophy (without any gaps)
Skepticality radio
STARTALK (Neil DeGrasse Tyson)

When I'm bored I'm going to try Comedy Bang! Bang!

Also, I use Pocket Cast for Android.

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Jul 2013, 10:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
dhex wrote:i sometimes listen to anandtech, radiolab, bleep. i listen to a lot more work-related stuff but i think that's more a factor of the incredibly overdriven self promotion requirement of this field.
What would be an example of those?
these guys are pretty good, though obviously somewhat self-aggrandizing

http://www.thinkinterval.com/arrogant-h ... -bastards/

nothing anyone else who comes through my linked in feed. mayo clinic tends to have good content. used to listen to marketing over coffee but then they moved to itunes only and fuuuuuuuuuuk that.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2013, 14:05

I've been occasionally listening to the Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality podcast.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jul 2013, 03:33

I am loving Welcome to Night Vale. "NPR from the Twilight Zone" is the perfect description I've come across.
We've had some power outages reported throughout Night Vale in the last couple of hours. If you're experiencing one...well, then you can't hear me, can you? The Night Vale municipal utility department said that they are still working to determine the cause of the outages, which are roving back and forth across town in a continuous motion, like a great pacing beast. Those whose neighborhoods have been hit by the outages reported the shriek of hawks overhead, and that when the lights came back on, they felt that perhaps they were different people-- their memories and identities were the same as always, but suddenly felt like costumes that didn't fit exactly, as though it all were actually brand new to them. As though they had been switched out with someone who was exactly like them. As though all that was familiar would ever after be strange.

Keep some flashlights with spare batteries and a childhood photo album by you tonight. Just in case.
One death has already been attributed to the glow cloud. But listen, it’s probably nothing. If we had to shut down the town for every mysterious event that at least one death could be attributed to, we’d never have time to do anything, right? That’s what the Sheriff's Secret Police are saying, and I agree. Although, I would not go so far as to endorse their suggestion to run directly at the cloud, shrieking and waving your arms, just to see what it does.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Jul 2013, 10:17

Dangerman wrote:I've got various episodes of....

I've been reading some philosophy and history of philosophy lately, so I will check that one out.

First episode I see is titled "By the Time I Get to Phoenix: Avicenna on Existence." What's the chance that the podcast is shorter than the song?
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jul 2013, 14:50

Fin Fang Foom wrote:

I've been reading some philosophy and history of philosophy lately, so I will check that one out.

First episode I see is titled "By the Time I Get to Phoenix: Avicenna on Existence." What's the chance that the podcast is shorter than the song?
Out of curiosity, mostly because unbiased histories of philosophy are few and far between, what history of philosophy are you reading?

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Aug 2013, 17:28

Fin Fang Foom wrote:

The podcasts are about 15 minutes long. Which is good at first because the pre-Socratics are almost incoherent, and 15 minute bites make absorbing their woo almost tolerable.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Aug 2013, 17:48

Dangerman wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

The podcasts are about 15 minutes long. Which is good at first because the pre-Socratics are almost incoherent, and 15 minute bites make absorbing their woo almost tolerable.
If 15 minutes just seems like way too much time to devote to philosophy, the Three Minute Philosophy clips on YouTube are remarkably good. For example,

and

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Aug 2013, 19:20

I can never get to the end of that Zeno video.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Aug 2013, 19:23

Kolohe wrote:I can never get to the end of that Zeno video.
You'd probably be able to if you could ever get started in the first place.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Aug 2013, 20:17

15 minutes is too much for Thales, but I listen to 3-4 episodes in a row because I really am interested.

I can't wait to get past the Greeks. After he finishes with Greco-European philosophy, he does quite a bit on Arabic philosophy and scholars, and I'm really looking forward to that because i know fuck all about that subject.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Aug 2013, 09:05

You think you know fuck all, but what you really know is zero.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 02 Aug 2013, 12:27

2shay yo.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Aug 2013, 12:29

Not to mention in the cases of Locke, Mill and Dewey, you don't know Jack.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 02 Aug 2013, 13:08

And in the case of Socrates, I didn't know squat either.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Aug 2013, 13:17

Dangerman wrote:And in the case of Socrates, I didn't know squat either.
Although in that case it means you got the point.