Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21998
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 28 Dec 2017, 12:45

Jesus that Matt Stoller guy on econtalk makes me want to jab chopsticks into my ears until his whining stops.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23600
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 28 Dec 2017, 12:54

JasonL wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 12:45
Jesus that Matt Stoller guy on econtalk makes me want to jab chopsticks into my ears until his whining stops.
I'll have to check it out. I felt the same way about Michael Moynihan and Tina Brown over at 5thC. Gossip is the lowest form of conversation and celebrity gossip is the lowest form of gossip. Crawling up your own ass over what great celebrity gossip journalists you are is like a podcast made of antimatter.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21998
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 28 Dec 2017, 13:03

Stoller is all amazon sells more stuff and it’s the end of human dignity. I wish I were exaggerating

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23600
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 28 Dec 2017, 13:13

JasonL wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:03
Stoller is all amazon sells more stuff and it’s the end of human dignity. I wish I were exaggerating
I'm only ten minutes in, don't know how much longer I'll stick with before I bail.
At first I was all ready to come back here guns blazing over municipal corporate cronyism. That lasted about thirty seconds. Now he's going on about how logging online sucks the agency out of you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21998
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 28 Dec 2017, 13:33

Warren wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:13
JasonL wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:03
Stoller is all amazon sells more stuff and it’s the end of human dignity. I wish I were exaggerating
I'm only ten minutes in, don't know how much longer I'll stick with before I bail.
At first I was all ready to come back here guns blazing over municipal corporate cronyism. That lasted about thirty seconds. Now he's going on about how logging online sucks the agency out of you.
It gets pretty unreal by the end. This is NOT a good time to be a craft brewer because inbev has lots of labels and choice is an illusion!!!!

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23600
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 28 Dec 2017, 13:46

JasonL wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:33
Warren wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:13
JasonL wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:03
Stoller is all amazon sells more stuff and it’s the end of human dignity. I wish I were exaggerating
I'm only ten minutes in, don't know how much longer I'll stick with before I bail.
At first I was all ready to come back here guns blazing over municipal corporate cronyism. That lasted about thirty seconds. Now he's going on about how logging online sucks the agency out of you.
It gets pretty unreal by the end. This is NOT a good time to be a craft brewer because inbev has lots of labels and choice is an illusion!!!!
Ha ha ha ha ha. Oh man I don't think I can take another hour. That's hilarious.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Sandy » 28 Dec 2017, 19:30

JasonL wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:33
This is NOT a good time to be a craft brewer because inbev has lots of labels and choice is an illusion!!!!
That's true, but nothing to do with InBev. There have been too many putting out too many similar beers (oh yay another IPA wow) and the market correction has begun. Inbev is just taking advantage of that.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23600
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 28 Dec 2017, 20:37

Sandy wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 19:30
JasonL wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:33
This is NOT a good time to be a craft brewer because inbev has lots of labels and choice is an illusion!!!!
That's true, but nothing to do with InBev. There have been too many putting out too many similar beers (oh yay another IPA wow) and the market correction has begun. Inbev is just taking advantage of that.
The reason there's so many IPAs, is IPAs taste great. There has never been a better time to be a beer drinker. Too many similar beers? WTF? Even out here in Goat Rope I can get Mothers, Goose Island, Shafley, Boulevard, A local Micro Brew, and a better one down the road a piece. There's also a selection of hard ciders and about two years ago a variety of hard sodas (root beer, orange, cherry cola, etc. I haven't had the nerve to try any.) When I get to civilization there's even more selection. And even if 850 out of a 1,000 are IPAs, that's still 150 amazing and unique brews. It wasn't that long ago there were 52 varieties of Budweiser, and nothing else, to choose from.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15485
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jan 2018, 15:39

Warren wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 20:37
Sandy wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 19:30
JasonL wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 13:33
This is NOT a good time to be a craft brewer because inbev has lots of labels and choice is an illusion!!!!
That's true, but nothing to do with InBev. There have been too many putting out too many similar beers (oh yay another IPA wow) and the market correction has begun. Inbev is just taking advantage of that.
The reason there's so many IPAs, is IPAs taste great. There has never been a better time to be a beer drinker. Too many similar beers? WTF? Even out here in Goat Rope I can get Mothers, Goose Island, Shafley, Boulevard, A local Micro Brew, and a better one down the road a piece. There's also a selection of hard ciders and about two years ago a variety of hard sodas (root beer, orange, cherry cola, etc. I haven't had the nerve to try any.) When I get to civilization there's even more selection. And even if 850 out of a 1,000 are IPAs, that's still 150 amazing and unique brews. It wasn't that long ago there were 52 varieties of Budweiser, and nothing else, to choose from.
I will sort of second this, but with two amendments.

IPAs don't so much taste better than other beers, as they taste MORE than other beers, so it's really easy to make them 'special'. Hop load is the easiest thing to alter in your brewing process. It covers up off flavors, so you don't have to worry that you'll lose a batch of beer to a small problem elsewhere in the process. So that there are too many IPAs (and APAs that might as well be IPAs) is that they're reliable and thus safe economic bets. The second way to cover up brewing problems is to amp up the alcohol content. Hence so many 'imperial' stouts and even IPAs. And they feel like adventurous beers. People like to think they're being adventurous (and to a great extent genuinely like being adventurous) but it's also economically really easy. Doing a good, subtle, smooth Irish Red is hard. There's nothing for any part of it to hide behind. So if you have a small problem in your brewing process, you run a real risk of just losing the entire batch, and all the money you've invested in it. You won't run into that problem with an American Imperial IPA.

Second, of those 150 other beers, 50 will be some variation on wheat, and another 40 will be infused with fruit or coconut or coffee or hemp or some shit. At least the gose craze is fading a bit. But good luck finding a nice porter these days. Stouts are a little better. All of these problems are magnified when you go to 'on tap' at a place that doesn't specialize in wide beer varieties. Finding something that's low ABV, not wheat, not fruit, and not IPA is a bit of a stretch. Fortunately there are a fair amount of people doing decent lagers these days, which helps on this front.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23600
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 01 Jan 2018, 16:10

IPAs don't so much taste better than other beers, as they taste MORE than other beers, so it's really easy to make them 'special'. Hop load is the easiest thing to alter in your brewing process. It covers up off flavors, so you don't have to worry that you'll lose a batch of beer to a small problem elsewhere in the process. So that there are too many IPAs (and APAs that might as well be IPAs) is that they're reliable and thus safe economic bets. The second way to cover up brewing problems is to amp up the alcohol content. Hence so many 'imperial' stouts and even IPAs. And they feel like adventurous beers. People like to think they're being adventurous (and to a great extent genuinely like being adventurous) but it's also economically really easy. Doing a good, subtle, smooth Irish Red is hard. There's nothing for any part of it to hide behind. So if you have a small problem in your brewing process, you run a real risk of just losing the entire batch, and all the money you've invested in it. You won't run into that problem with an American Imperial IPA.
That's mostly right, though I think you're overstating it a bit. If you're working with a proven recipe, an Irish Red isn't really that hard to duplicate. It's true that I can almost always count on an untried IPA to deliver. It needs be said that there is quite a lot of variation to be found in the IPA/APA style, and some are better than others. But yes, if you put in enough hops so you can taste it (without going all DFH on it) chances are you'll get something agreeable.
Second, of those 150 other beers, 50 will be some variation on wheat, and another 40 will be infused with fruit or coconut or coffee or hemp or some shit. At least the gose craze is fading a bit. But good luck finding a nice porter these days. Stouts are a little better.
Again, I'd say mostly right but overstated. "Some variation on wheat" is akin to "some variation on chicken soup", that covers a shit-ton of variation. The ongoing entries in the "unusual adjunct" category is a feature not a bug. It's true I'd as soon live without most of them, but now and then I find something really out there that surprises me in a good way. Though I may not ever order it again. No idea what you consider a "nice porter". I can get Sierra Nevada anytime.
All of these problems are magnified when you go to 'on tap' at a place that doesn't specialize in wide beer varieties. Finding something that's low ABV, not wheat, not fruit, and not IPA is a bit of a stretch. Fortunately there are a fair amount of people doing decent lagers these days, which helps on this front.
Totally with you here. High ABV is the bane of my beer hunting. It's definitely a thing, and it's definitely not my thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Sandy » 01 Jan 2018, 19:34

IPAs take less time to produce, so if you’re in an overextended industry, that’s how you pad your profit margin.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15485
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jan 2018, 22:00

Warren wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 16:10
IPAs don't so much taste better than other beers, as they taste MORE than other beers, so it's really easy to make them 'special'. Hop load is the easiest thing to alter in your brewing process. It covers up off flavors, so you don't have to worry that you'll lose a batch of beer to a small problem elsewhere in the process. So that there are too many IPAs (and APAs that might as well be IPAs) is that they're reliable and thus safe economic bets. The second way to cover up brewing problems is to amp up the alcohol content. Hence so many 'imperial' stouts and even IPAs. And they feel like adventurous beers. People like to think they're being adventurous (and to a great extent genuinely like being adventurous) but it's also economically really easy. Doing a good, subtle, smooth Irish Red is hard. There's nothing for any part of it to hide behind. So if you have a small problem in your brewing process, you run a real risk of just losing the entire batch, and all the money you've invested in it. You won't run into that problem with an American Imperial IPA.
That's mostly right, though I think you're overstating it a bit. If you're working with a proven recipe, an Irish Red isn't really that hard to duplicate. It's true that I can almost always count on an untried IPA to deliver. It needs be said that there is quite a lot of variation to be found in the IPA/APA style, and some are better than others. But yes, if you put in enough hops so you can taste it (without going all DFH on it) chances are you'll get something agreeable.
Second, of those 150 other beers, 50 will be some variation on wheat, and another 40 will be infused with fruit or coconut or coffee or hemp or some shit. At least the gose craze is fading a bit. But good luck finding a nice porter these days. Stouts are a little better.
Again, I'd say mostly right but overstated. "Some variation on wheat" is akin to "some variation on chicken soup", that covers a shit-ton of variation. The ongoing entries in the "unusual adjunct" category is a feature not a bug. It's true I'd as soon live without most of them, but now and then I find something really out there that surprises me in a good way. Though I may not ever order it again. No idea what you consider a "nice porter". I can get Sierra Nevada anytime.
All of these problems are magnified when you go to 'on tap' at a place that doesn't specialize in wide beer varieties. Finding something that's low ABV, not wheat, not fruit, and not IPA is a bit of a stretch. Fortunately there are a fair amount of people doing decent lagers these days, which helps on this front.
Totally with you here. High ABV is the bane of my beer hunting. It's definitely a thing, and it's definitely not my thing.
I actually don't see Sierra Nevada's porters or stouts all that often anymore. And I have never seen it on tap.

It's true that there's a shitton of variety in wheats. My problem is that there's something in wheats that I over-taste or something, so I can barely stand most of them. Hoegaarden, (late, lamented) Celis White, and actually Blue Moon are all drinkable, but otherwise not so much. Maybe some of the dunkel Weissen. So that's a huge swath of variety that I just can't drink. So if you're at a place with 30 beers on tap, you end up with 20 IPA/APA, and 5 wheats of various kinds, plus an apricot wheat or a raspberry gose or a blood orange IPA, leaving at most four straightforward beers to choose from. I like IPAs just fine, but they're more of a sometimes food for me these days. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale used to be my very favorite beer, but I've moved on.

I will say that sometimes high-ABV stuff can be nice. I like a good wee-heavy or doppelbock once in a while, and there's a good winter Hibernation sitting in my fridge right now. But they are definitely sometimes-foods.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11844
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jan 2018, 12:55

Older IPAs are good. IPAs developed or reformulated in the last five to seven years are horrible, hop-based abuse.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15485
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Jan 2018, 01:21

Ugh.

I was at the liquor store yesterday, looking for the unadulterated porters that aren't there. There was a slot for Deschutes but they were out, and I avoid Deschutes because they bilked taxpayers in NC for their east coast brewery. Anyway, a local brewery that I had heard of but not tried had their 'Happy Marzen' out, so I was all, yeah I should try that. Got it home, cracked one open, and...

Oh...

It said "Hoppy" not "Happy". Who the fuck hops up a Marzen?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22473
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Mo » 24 Feb 2018, 18:56

The CEO transition Freakonomics is a microcosmic of everything I hate and love about the show. Great guests and interesting topics, but unrepentant star fucking and the inability to push back at all.

Like he was interviewing Jack Welch on the topic of succession and how GE has fared worse with Immelt. Never raised, even as an aside, that Jack Welch manipulated earnings with shady accounting. What’s crazy is one of the critiques Welch made was about getting out of financial services, which was the vehicle that he used to manipulate earnings.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23600
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 24 Feb 2018, 19:46

lunchstealer wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 22:00
I actually don't see Sierra Nevada's porters or stouts all that often anymore. And I have never seen it on tap.
I owe you an apology lunch. Sierra Nevada quietly disappeared from the shelves without me noticing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15485
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Feb 2018, 20:41

Warren wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 19:46
lunchstealer wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 22:00
I actually don't see Sierra Nevada's porters or stouts all that often anymore. And I have never seen it on tap.
I owe you an apology lunch. Sierra Nevada quietly disappeared from the shelves without me noticing.
Yeah, I see the Pale Ale and their Torpedo IPA and their Christmas IPA and the Citrus IPA, but I haven't seen the stout or porter in prolly a decade.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22473
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Mo » 27 Feb 2018, 23:20

I am not listening to them, but what the fuck is up with all of the pop culture podcasts from political magazines/writers, particularly on the conservative side? Is, "I like this person's views on foreign policy and health care economics, but what I really want to know is what they think about the relative merits of the DCU vs MCU," a thought that comes across anyone's thought that doesn't also enjoy CBT*?

* I do not mean cognitive behavioral therapy here.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15485
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Feb 2018, 23:27

Mo wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:20
CBT*?

* I do not mean cognitive behavioral therapy here.
One assumes that the 'T' rhymes with "enhanced interrogation'?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11844
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Feb 2018, 00:02

Mo wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:20
I am not listening to them, but what the fuck is up with all of the pop culture podcasts from political magazines/writers, particularly on the conservative side? Is, "I like this person's views on foreign policy and health care economics, but what I really want to know is what they think about the relative merits of the DCU vs MCU," a thought that comes across anyone's thought that doesn't also enjoy CBT*?
I think they're noticing all the other pop culture discussion stuff out there and hoping to get catch eyeballs (eardrums?) of people looking for that stuff.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22473
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Mo » 28 Feb 2018, 00:08

But pop culture stuff from culture/general interest orgs with culture verticals is different than from a political mag which maybe has a dude with ideologically blinkered movie reviews. Maybe the closest analogue is NPR, but they've done music/pop culture stuff targeting UMCW for decades.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10802
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Ellie » 28 Feb 2018, 11:45

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:27
Mo wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:20
CBT*?

* I do not mean cognitive behavioral therapy here.
One assumes that the 'T' rhymes with "enhanced interrogation'?
I have a book on my shelf entitled Beat Low Self-Esteem with CBT and it still amuses me every time I see it.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2478
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Jake » 28 Feb 2018, 12:21

Catastrophic Bowel Trauma?
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23600
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 28 Feb 2018, 14:49

Jake wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 12:21
Catastrophic Bowel Trauma?
Yes dear that's right. Now go outside and play with your little friends.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2478
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Jake » 28 Feb 2018, 15:30

Warren wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:49
Jake wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 12:21
Catastrophic Bowel Trauma?
Yes dear that's right. Now go outside and play with your little friends.
Okay, Dad! I'll be back when the streetlights come on.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests