A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Post by Kolohe » 03 Aug 2017, 17:56

I haven't seen the episode, but a quick collapse of the Highgarden regime is plausible given that most of their high command was taken out in Sept 11 of Baelor.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Aug 2017, 18:32

Kolohe wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 17:56
I haven't seen the episode, but a quick collapse of the Highgarden regime is plausible given that most of their high command was taken out in Sept 11 of Baelor.

Given what a dumbass Loras and Margery's dad was, his death should've improved Highgarden's chances.

In all seriousness: I'm not saying I disagree, exactly, with any of the theories posted here, regarding how or why Highgarden could've fallen as quickly as it apparently did, or how Euron apparently managed to travel thousands of miles in less time than it takes me to drive from my house to the nearest state line, or other things ... but I will say that the show itself should've shown or at least mentioned this, rather than leave these big gaping plotholes to be filled by fans posting theories about it on a discussion forum.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 04 Aug 2017, 08:32

Highgarden (and the Reach) are being besieged under entirely different circumstances in the books. The yada-yada'ing of highgarden's fall in last week's episode is probably a way to spackle over the show-book differences to get to the next major plot point...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Aug 2017, 11:45

Yeah I had no problem with it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Aug 2017, 18:25

gotjoke.jpg
gotjoke.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 1007 times

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Aug 2017, 20:45

Painboy wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 18:25
gotjoke.jpg
HA! That's kinda what I was thinking when I watched that scene.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Aug 2017, 21:47

Tomorrow's episode is, I am reliably informed, action packed.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 06 Aug 2017, 00:28

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 21:47
Tomorrow's episode is, I am reliably informed, action packed.
As a leaked watcher (what?!? my mother-in-law is in town tomorrow and she shant be spoiling my normal Sunday ritual), uh, yes, yes it is...

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Aug 2017, 15:06

Best episode of the season thus far. Though I still intend to watch it in HD after it comes out tonight, since certain scenes will no doubt look much nicer that way.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Aug 2017, 22:27

Yeah, this was a good one.

All I care about now is working class hero, Bronn.

And Sam, Davos, Missandei, and Greyworm.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Aug 2017, 23:17

Prediction: Arya kills Dany.

Someone has to. She's bad.

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 06 Aug 2017, 23:54

More like THEY DIDN'T KILL WHO?!?!

I like Bronn, but he should have died tonight. They better have something good planned for him.

And good directing from the guy who does most of the It's Always Sunny episodes.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Aug 2017, 00:29

When Arya showed up in that courtyard to fight Brienne was the first time since maybe Hardhome that I actually jumped up and assumed an edge-of-one's-seat-like disposition...

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Aug 2017, 01:14

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 23:17
Prediction: Arya kills Dany.

Someone has to. She's bad.
I don't know if she's actually bad, but her potential for badness is a lot more obvious than before. I'm getting very tired of her constant refrain of "bend the knee, bend the knee, bend the fucking knee." But I look forward to seeing her reaction if and when she learns that Jon has a better claim to the Targaryen throne than she does.

I'm not at all worried about Jaime. He has to live long enough to get fed up with Cersei.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Aug 2017, 14:07

OHOTHI

Tyrion: "Flee, you idiot."
Us: "Flee, you idiot!"
Jaime: "LEEEE ROY JENKINNNSSS!!!"

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Aug 2017, 14:38

"Who trained you?"
"No one."
... is in the Top Ten best dialogue snippets of the entire series.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Aug 2017, 18:24

It's too bad they got all the gold into King's Landing before the dragon came along and torched the loot train, though. Watching Cersei deal with the Iron Bank would've been an interesting storyline.

I can't figure out how far from King's Landing the dragon battle actually was, though.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Aug 2017, 23:42

Jennifer wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 18:24
It's too bad they got all the gold into King's Landing before the dragon came along and torched the loot train, though. Watching Cersei deal with the Iron Bank would've been an interesting storyline.

I can't figure out how far from King's Landing the dragon battle actually was, though.
Well here's the area between King's Landing and Highgarden.
GOTmap.PNG
GOTmap.PNG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 849 times
If they are using the Roseroad and we know they were near a river that seems to place it near Bitterbridge. I'm curious about how the Dothraki got there.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 08 Aug 2017, 08:08

Painboy wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 23:42
Jennifer wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 18:24

Well here's the area between King's Landing and Highgarden.

***MAP***

If they are using the Roseroad and we know they were near a river that seems to place it near Bitterbridge. I'm curious about how the Dothraki got there.
Dragonstone is in that bay upon which King's Landing rests, so they could have landed the Dothraki south of the Blackwater and KL and either followed down the Roseroad, or (more likely, due the difficulties of mounted troops marching through forest) swung around the Kingswood and then south to meet the loot train en route. Also, Stannis torched the Kingswood to flush out Tyrion's Mountin Clansmen during the Battle of the Blackwater, so the Kingswood might not be as much of an impediment as this map suggests...

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Aug 2017, 10:56

On thing that's weird, and probably just a continuity error, is that they attacked the left flank of the column. If they're headed along the Rose Road, they'd be attacking from the north/west, so if they landed on the east coast of Westeros, they'd have had to either land north of Kings Landing, circle around and cross a major river, then attack the train from the west, or they'd have to land south of King's Landing and cross either the Kingswood or the mountains to the south of it, then circle north to attack from the west. Or they'd have to have sailed all the way around the continent, and ridden all the way across from someplace like Old Oak. It's hard to get strategic surprise doing any of that.

They said just before the fight that the gold had already entered King's Landing with the first part of the loot train, so if they'd been attacked from the east just south of the river crossing before entering King's Landing, the logistics would be easier. Land on the south side of the Blackwater, ride along the coast on the north side of the Kingswood, and hit the loot train at the north end of the Rose Road. That would be easy to do and would give relatively little chance of getting a warning to King's Landing and the Lannister army as it moved north.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Aug 2017, 13:16

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 10:56
On thing that's weird, and probably just a continuity error, is that they attacked the left flank of the column.
Did they? I mean it sort of looked like it how it was framed but in this screenshot:
Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 9.59.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 9.59.31 AM.png (474.78 KiB) Viewed 814 times
It looks to me like the cart on the right has the yoke towards the viewer, which would put the defensive line on the right flank? Although there are no horses attached it usually looks, from the direction of the carts, in other shots like it comes from the right as well. They play pretty fast and loose with directions, I assume to make the battle look more chaotic.

In any event, it's interesting that the attack was generally framed from right to left:

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/02/left-or ... tters-film
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2017, 20:11

Taktix® wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 00:29
When Arya showed up in that courtyard to fight Brienne was the first time since maybe Hardhome that I actually jumped up and assumed an edge-of-one's-seat-like disposition...
That was satisfying.
More than the Arya/Sansa reunion. Though I do like the bit about Arya's list. Did she ever delete Sansa from it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Aug 2017, 20:25

I don't think Sansa was ever officially on her list.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2017, 20:49

Huh. I thought she was, over the butcher's boy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Aug 2017, 21:01

Sansa had nothing to do with the butcher's boy being killed; she "only" refused to tell the truth about why and how Joffrey was bitten by Arya's direwolf. But it was Sansa's own direwolf who ended up getting killed over that.