A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

Re: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Jul 2017, 16:21

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 15:50
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 14:38
Calling it now: Poderick Payne and his massive, perfect dick will single-handedly defeat the white walkers.
With the reaction of the ladies, I'm pretty sure that Podrick can keep both hands free most of the time.
He has to aim.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Jul 2017, 18:11

Taktix® wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 10:15
Mark it down, folks. Today, the nineteenth day of July in the year two thousand seventeen, is the first time I've ever laughed (out loud) at a Reason-produced video...
Not even the libertarian gift guide? A Constitution pocket for your pocket Constitution?

Seriously, though, this video was fucking awesome. Thanks for sharing, Kolohe!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Jul 2017, 18:32

I still want a 4-D printed gun.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jul 2017, 04:40

Taktix® wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 10:15
Mark it down, folks. Today, the nineteenth day of July in the year two thousand seventeen, is the first time I've ever laughed (out loud) at a Reason-produced video...
Same here.

Behold the value of practice!

(Not to dis the people involved, but I wouldn't have expected that much effort to improve craft in a political video clip crew.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jul 2017, 23:14

Reek is back!

I has a sad.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jul 2017, 00:51

dead_elvis wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 23:14
Reek is back!

I has a sad.
I don't know if it's Reek. If he'd of charged, Euron almost certainly would have slit her throat. Perhaps he saved her.
I liked Yara though. I have sad for her even if she lives. She won't have cause to smile anymore.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2017, 01:05

Did anyone else just feel uncomfortable for the writers, directors, and actors in the Grayworm sex scene? Like, "Oh, sweetie. Bless your heart I'm sure you did your best. Don't beat yourself up over that choice."
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 24 Jul 2017, 08:33

Warren wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 00:51

I don't know if it's Reek. If he'd of charged, Euron almost certainly would have slit her throat. Perhaps he saved her.
I liked Yara though. I have sad for her even if she lives. She won't have cause to smile anymore.
Oh I agree, he had no chance of saving her. But you could see that posture, that twitch in his eye, the humiliation and subservience was all coming back to him, which is why he had to find another way out. Well, my theory anyway.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Jul 2017, 09:43

lunchstealer wrote:Did anyone else just feel uncomfortable for the writers, directors, and actors in the Grayworm sex scene? Like, "Oh, sweetie. Bless your heart I'm sure you did your best. Don't beat yourself up over that choice."
But as someone else said on the twits, for any other show, it would be the most uncomfortable thing in its run; this show, it doesn't break into the top 5 uncomfortable sex scenes.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jul 2017, 10:02

The thing I got out of it is: Missandei is Delilah to Grey Worm's Samson.
Nevermind the bit about the hair and cutting things off in general. She weakens him with fear.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Jul 2017, 10:19

"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jul 2017, 19:49

Ellie wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 10:19
Uproxx (ew) link, but funny: http://uproxx.com/tv/best-tweets-game-o ... reactions/
meh
meh
meh
Oh snap
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jul 2017, 20:19

Disappointing to see the non-Euron Iron Islands fleet go down, but I'm guessing it's necessary for the plot -- otherwise, it would be too easy for Dany to beat Cersei, and they still need enough drama to fill 11 episodes before the series ends. I'm guessing the invasion of Casterly Rock will also fail, for similar reasons.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jul 2017, 20:31

So it is known how many more episodes there will be?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jul 2017, 20:35

Warren wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 20:31
So it is known how many more episodes there will be?
Supposedly seven episodes for this season, and six in the next and final season (though IIRC, next season will include some longer episodes, more like short movies than TV-series episodes).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Jul 2017, 16:45

The show's quality continues to sink. The only thing that can save it is if Daenarys turns heel and stays that way. If Jon shows up tonight and says, "like, yo, setting dudes on fire and threatening the same isn't cool," and she responds "gosh, you're right," there'll be no hope. Cool for tv battle scenes don't cut it.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 Jul 2017, 18:45

I agree with FFF. Every episode now feels like A Very Special Episode. Since they cut out so much supporting stuff from the books, they really only have like 2 episodes of plot left and are just filling it in with Hot Pie cameos and as much Direwolf CGI as they can afford with what's left in the budget...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jul 2017, 20:33

I've been waiting for Arya and Sansa to reunite since season 4. I'm still looking forward to that.
I'm also enjoying Samwell's story. Yeah, he's full fledged Mary Sue by this point. Still it was fun watching him slice the skin off Jorah
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Jul 2017, 20:55

Warren wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 20:33
I've been waiting for Arya and Sansa to reunite since season 4. I'm still looking forward to that.
I'm also enjoying Samwell's story. Yeah, he's full fledged Mary Sue by this point. Still it was fun watching him slice the skin off Jorah
Yeah, Sam's great.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 Jul 2017, 00:02

That episode was irritating. How the hell did Euron have time to get from his King's Landing victory parade all the way to Highgarden in time to burn the Unsullied fleet? Also, it takes two episodes for Bran to get from the Wall to Winterfell, whereas Jon goes from Winterfell to Dragonstone practically overnight? Meanwhile, Dany knows that dragons are real (duh) and blood magic is real and the House of the Undying folks had all KINDS of magic powers, but she draws the line at believing in zombies?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 Jul 2017, 00:22

I'm beginning to suspect "G.R.R. Martin already plotted out the rest of the storyline" is this decade's "The Cylons: they have a plan."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 31 Jul 2017, 00:29

Jennifer wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 00:02
That episode was irritating. How the hell did Euron have time to get from his King's Landing victory parade all the way to Highgarden in time to burn the Unsullied fleet? Also, it takes two episodes for Bran to get from the Wall to Winterfell, whereas Jon goes from Winterfell to Dragonstone practically overnight? Meanwhile, Dany knows that dragons are real (duh) and blood magic is real and the House of the Undying folks had all KINDS of magic powers, but she draws the line at believing in zombies?
WRT to dragons, there are all those big skulls everywhere, and the last had died within little over a lifetime. The white walker are part of pre-history, of the first men and not the Andals. So it isn't that crazy.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 31 Jul 2017, 00:30

I hope Davos gets to defeat, if not kill Euron.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 Jul 2017, 00:36

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 00:29
Jennifer wrote:
WRT to dragons, there are all those big skulls everywhere, and the last had died within little over a lifetime. The white walker are part of pre-history, of the first men and not the Andals. So it isn't that crazy.
But she was able to make stone dragon eggs hatch via magic. And she herself is magically fireproof. And she's seen blood magic and Undying magic with her own eyes. With all that, plus the whole business of "That's a hell of a high wall if it's only supposed to keep out some barbarian humans," it still strikes me as arbitrary skepticism.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 31 Jul 2017, 01:49

Jennifer wrote:
I agree the episode was a little all over the place but looking at the map it's not implausible.

1. You never see Euron at Casterly Rock, just his ships. They could have divided and caught up with the Unsullied fleet which were a bunch of transports and not raiders like the Ironborn ships.

2. I imagine not all of Yara's fleet was destroyed and many ships likely changed sides when it was obvious they were losing adding to Euron's numbers.

3. Sailing isn't like land travel and depending on the prevailing weather it could have slowed down the Casterly Rock invasion fleet allowing the Ironborn to catch up to them.

4. This also could also account for John's rapid passage who isn't actually all that far from Dragonstone. We also don't know when John decided to go there in relation to other events. The episodes don't always show simultaneous events.

5. Another possibility is Euron left some ships in the Iron Islands for defense, some ships possibly were still being built when Euron left, and he just sent a raven to them with the plans and they were waiting on the unsullied to land.

6. Dragons had been around up until a 150 years ago. They are terrifying but ultimately they are just big beasts, magic or not. Ice kings and armies of the dead are going to be much harder to swallow. They also haven't made themselves known for a thousand years or so and are at best myth for the few people who know anything about them.

My main complaint is it's obvious the writers are trying to set things up in a certain order for the big finale, so it doesn't feel organic and has a kind of rush job feeling to it.