A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Post by Jennifer » 29 Apr 2019, 18:03

Another thing I don't get: the scene with Melisandre riding out of the dark and turning the Dothraki swords into fire weapons was visually gorgeous, and obviously was a last-minute surprise from every other character's perspective. But -- had she not shown up, the first wave of attackers were going to be Dothraki with their ordinary, non-obsidian or Valyrian steel swords?!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Apr 2019, 18:34

Jennifer wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 18:03
Another thing I don't get: the scene with Melisandre riding out of the dark and turning the Dothraki swords into fire weapons was visually gorgeous, and obviously was a last-minute surprise from every other character's perspective. But -- had she not shown up, the first wave of attackers were going to be Dothraki with their ordinary, non-obsidian or Valyrian steel swords?!
Conversely, maybe the DP went to the director and asked "How the hell are we going to show darkly clothed, darkly dirty people fighting in the dark?"

Back to Bran, either he's just a McGuffin at this point or he figures in the actual final denouement. For all we know, he cawed into Arya's ear how to kill the Night King, but there is a (switching streams for a moment) annoying sort of Dr. Strange "If I told you it wouldn't happen" superiority about Bran.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Apr 2019, 18:51

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 18:34
there is a (switching streams for a moment) annoying sort of Dr. Strange "If I told you it wouldn't happen" superiority about Bran.
Your stream carries wisdom.

That sounds dirty.

But yeah gawd Bran is being such a fantasy cliche right now.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Apr 2019, 18:52

Pham Nuwen wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 17:57
JasonL wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:40
That's not how you spell Nic Cage.
Bees?
Naw, T-R-A-V-O-L-T-A

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Apr 2019, 20:13

There are a lot of issues with the story. But I dont get why peeps don't understand the night king. He was created by the children of the forest to kill humans. He grew beyond their control when they tried to stop him. Dude just wants to kill humans. I really dont get what's so hard about that. He's just a driven human murdering machine. That's all.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Apr 2019, 20:31

But what does fixating on Bran do for him in the murderin' a buncha humans department? Seems like if he wanted to kill a fuckton of humans his best bet would be to bypass winterfell altogether and go rampaging through the Riverlands and the Vale and and the Reach and shit. At Whiterun they were up against two dragons and three or four armies. It's not like Cersei would take the Golden Company or the Ironborn out of King's Landing so just leaving Winterfell and Kings Landing and killing all the other humans everywhere would get him a lot of humans killed and not leave him so focused on Bran that Arya could literally walk past all the rest of the Walkers and all their assembled wights and kill Head Dude.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Apr 2019, 21:48

lunchstealer wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 20:31
But what does fixating on Bran do for him in the murderin' a buncha humans department? Seems like if he wanted to kill a fuckton of humans his best bet would be to bypass winterfell altogether and go rampaging through the Riverlands and the Vale and and the Reach and shit. At Whiterun they were up against two dragons and three or four armies. It's not like Cersei would take the Golden Company or the Ironborn out of King's Landing so just leaving Winterfell and Kings Landing and killing all the other humans everywhere would get him a lot of humans killed and not leave him so focused on Bran that Arya could literally walk past all the rest of the Walkers and all their assembled wights and kill Head Dude.
He's not a man. He doesn't think for the most part. He reacts. Fire? Hold up. Now how can I get to some more humans and kill them.

I really think that's it. He's a machine. About it anyway. He doesn't maneuver. He doesn't think of what's the best use of his forces. He just reacts. To many humans? Better wait so I can kill more humans. Fire? Better wait so I can kill more humans. Reaction. No initiative. He could have blitzed everyone at the wall during the battles up there but he's still stuck behind the wall. He just waited so he could kill more humans.

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Apr 2019, 22:25

Jennifer wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 22:36
And now, given that political issues are the only story issues unresolved, I wonder if the "bittersweet" ending GRR Martin promised will turn out to be: the dead are defeated, but Cersei keeps the Iron Throne and the good guys lose.
I think it'll turn out the magical napalm is still under King's Landing, and in the final battle it'll go up and kill every named character except Sansa.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Apr 2019, 22:49

Shem wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 22:25
Jennifer wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 22:36
And now, given that political issues are the only story issues unresolved, I wonder if the "bittersweet" ending GRR Martin promised will turn out to be: the dead are defeated, but Cersei keeps the Iron Throne and the good guys lose.
I think it'll turn out the magical napalm is still under King's Landing, and in the final battle it'll go up and kill every named character except Sansa.
Nah, here's how it should end. Only Bran and Cersei are left. She gloats, looking down at him in his wheelchair from the Iron Throne until slowly he stands up with his father's sword from beneath the blanket and says:

"My name is Brandon Stark. You killed my family. Prepare to die!"

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Apr 2019, 23:42

Bran is the Three Eyed Raven, he holds the memory of man. To erase Bran is to erase history.

Extending the episode was a bad call IMO. There were longs stretches of boring. Pretty much all the slo-mo and piano could go.
I remember two great single-battle episodes at Kings Landing and Castle Black. This wasn't as good. This wasn't even good. That 'Destroy the [McGuffin], bad-guys disappear in puff of smoke' plot-device is way overused.

ETA
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 22:49

"Hello, My name is Brandon Stark. You killed my family. Prepare to die!"
fixed
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Apr 2019, 18:26

Jennifer wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 16:09
I know there are good and valid reasons why the show is NOT going to discuss this, but -- I would be very interested to know what the Faceless Men think about the army of the dead overrunning Westeros. (And what the Night King thinks about the Faceless Men, for that matter.)
Read an interesting fan theory which serves this purpose: the Many-Faced God presumably has prophetic powers, and knew Arya would be the one to bring down the Night King. That's why Jaqen did not argue or try to stop Arya when she said something like "I am NOT no one; I am Arya Stark, and I am going home." The MFG has two reasons to hate the Night King: not only does the Night King "steal" dead people who are rightfully the MFG's; the Night King enslaves the dead. And both the show and books agree: the MFG hates slavery -- recall, the Faceless Men started in the mines of Valyria, where slaves were given the gift of death to escape their hyper-shitty lives (and then the FM gave this "gift" to the slave masters, too).

So, yeah: that's two reasons the MFG has for being pissed off at the Night King, enough for the Faceless Men to let Arya leave their ranks despite having all their magic-assassin skills.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Apr 2019, 18:59

Warren wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 23:42
Bran is the Three Eyed Raven, he holds the memory of man. To erase Bran is to erase history.
This strikes me as too vague to give it any significance. The way I see it to erase Bran is to erase having someone around who can dart back and forth in time and witness and influence things first hand. They still have libraries and books and oral histories, same as real life humanity. Real life humanity doesn't have a 3 eyed raven and we do just fine with our imperfect but existent history. Or I must be missing something that's obvious to everyone else.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 May 2019, 12:24

"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 May 2019, 02:11

[Watches episode]

Boo. Hiss.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 May 2019, 15:10

Twitter is lit with Winterfell Barista tweets.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 May 2019, 15:54

When the fuck did Euron get, like, a laser-guided AEGIS system for his ballistas? How the hell did he knock a dragon out of the air before that dragon was even visible to him -- whereas Dany, flying in the air, never noticed that entire freakin' fleet until it was too late?

If not for the fact that there's only two episodes left, I'd damned well give up on the show.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 May 2019, 16:27

Until I read a reddit fan forum, I never even noticed the Starbucks cup they left on Dany's table during the feast at Winterfell.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 May 2019, 16:29

Popehat's feed has had some fun ones on that.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 06 May 2019, 16:49

I actually thought that was one of the better written episodes in awhile.

This does not appear to be a popular opinion.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 May 2019, 16:54

Painboy wrote:
06 May 2019, 16:49

I just don't know what to say about that, Painagul.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 May 2019, 16:57

Painboy wrote:
06 May 2019, 16:49

You must retract your heresy post haste! Before the inquisition finds you!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 May 2019, 17:08

I thought it was mostly good.

A: Poor Tormund.

B: Poor Gendry.

C: AAAAAWWWWW poor Ghost! Good doggo! 14/10 Would console with snuggles and treats.

D: I was all OH GOD DAMN IT THIS IS SUCH PREDICTABLE BULLSHIT when Brieaime happened, but it was kinda right for the characters and actually paid off when he Jaime'd it up at the end.

E: If they'd just shown the Iron Fleet coming into frame, out of focus, before the first ballista shot, the whole thing would've been a bit less silly, and I think a lot of people would've liked the episode better, but maybe not because people are stupid judgemental fuckheads who have to pick everything apart.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 May 2019, 17:11

Another, minor, question: they built multiple funeral pyres to burn the bodies of their comrades who died fighting the dead -- but what happened to the VASTLY GREATER number of wight-corpses they fought?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 May 2019, 17:17

Jennifer wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:11
Another, minor, question: they built multiple funeral pyres to burn the bodies of their comrades who died fighting the dead -- but what happened to the VASTLY GREATER number of wight-corpses they fought?
I thought about that, too. They didn't all go Thanos-ash, did they? No, because Lyanna Mormont was shown on a pyre.

Why yes I did just answer my own question mid-post.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 May 2019, 17:24

It was, at least, considerate of the wights to drop dead in such a way that they left a nice clear wightless path open for Melisandre's dramatic death-walk into the dawn.