A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Post by Jennifer » 13 Aug 2017, 23:40

That whole "Winter is here! Ooooh, scary! Ooooh, bleakness! Cold is terrible!" vibe kinda loses something in translation when you're watching it in Georgia, in August.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2017, 17:03

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 14:38
"Who trained you?"
"No one."
... is in the Top Ten best dialogue snippets of the entire series.
A little better maybe?
We're all on the same side.
How can we be?
We're all breathing.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Aug 2017, 18:38

I've been waiting 7 years for that fucking wall to fall. They need to get the fuck on that.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Re: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?I !? (hbo spoilers)

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Aug 2017, 19:16

I will be pissed if there isn't a zombie rampage through Kings Landing.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Aug 2017, 19:23

Pham Nuwen wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 18:38
I've been waiting 7 years for that fucking wall to fall. They need to get the fuck on that.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's this season's cliffhanger ending. Especially since this season has shown us the Dead Army is finally on the march, AND Bran being allowed through the wall.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Re: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?I !? (hbo spoilers)

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2017, 19:24

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 19:16
I will be pissed if there isn't a zombie rampage through Kings Landing.
I'm going to laugh myself silly if the zombies all fall to dust from McGuffin ala throwing the ring into Mt. Doom.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Aug 2017, 20:09

I am reasonably sure that the vision Danny had of the iron throne room back in season 1 (?) (2? ) where the roof was blown off and snow was falling will be a real thing before the series is over.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Aug 2017, 20:17

Early in the series, when it was still based on the books, there was a promise that eventually, an explanation for Westeros' weird seasons would be offered. I hope that happens as well. (I never was entirely clear: is it the entire world that has years-long winters, or ONLY Westeros?)

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Aug 2017, 23:39

I think the next episode is "the big one" for this season, then there will be a relatively low key one for the last ep.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Aug 2017, 00:52

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 23:39
I think the next episode is "the big one" for this season, then there will be a relatively low key one for the last ep.
We're only getting 6?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Aug 2017, 02:47

Warren wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 00:52
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 23:39
We're only getting 6?
Math is hard!

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Aug 2017, 10:06

eh?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Aug 2017, 11:30

Next episode is six, them the "finale" will be seven.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Aug 2017, 12:44

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 11:30
:!: I'm an episode behind :!:

So we're only getting 7?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Aug 2017, 16:10

Warren wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 12:44
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 11:30
:!: I'm an episode behind :!:

So we're only getting 7?
Yep. The plan thus far is seven for this season and six for the final season (though those six episodes are supposedly going to be longer than usual). Remember?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Aug 2017, 20:16

I'm trying to remember the specific "rules" for how magic works in this world -- IIRC, when Meera and Bran and others were taking refuge in that cave north of the wall, it used to be The Dead could not enter that cave due to Magic Rules, but that magic anti-dead shield was broken somehow when Bran entered the cave, because [something something] psychic connection between Bran and the Night King. And I'm seeing on theory-discussion threads on other boards, that this is also why it's Very Bad that Bran was allowed through the wall back into southern regions -- because now, the wall's anti-dead shield has been broken, same as the anti-dead shield around that cave. (Which is why I suspect this season's cliffhanger finale scene will be either the wall tumbling down, or the Night King and his army killing members of the night's watch and marching through the gate.) Presumably, even Jon Snow's plan to capture a dead soldier and bring him back south to show Cersei wouldn't work, if not for Bran breaking the shield.

But I'm not sure if I'm remembering all this correctly, because the Bran scenes from last season were among my least-favorite.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Aug 2017, 15:09

Suspension of disbelief and all but something that bugged the crap out of me was the opening scene. I mean, I expected that they wouldn't let Jaime die, but somehow Bron managed to swim with all of his stuff on PLUS dragging Jaime and all of HIS armor, PLUS Jaime still had his sword. And not only that, they swam this way all the way across to the other side. I'd wager quite a bit that they wouldn't even make it back to the surface, much less the *nearest* shore, without ditching all armor and their swords, which I doubt they would have time to do before drowning.

Rest of the episode was enjoyable, it was just annoying that the very first scene made me call Bullshit.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Aug 2017, 15:12

Episode 6 leaked early; apparently HBO Spain accidentally aired it. I have been told by trustworthy sources that it's pretty good, though those same sources don't quite understand how or why an episode which aired in Spain was in the English language.

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Aug 2017, 15:29

Jennifer wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 15:12
Episode 6 leaked early; apparently HBO Spain accidentally aired it. I have been told by trustworthy sources that it's pretty good, though those same sources don't quite understand how or why an episode which aired in Spain was in the English language.
Are the normal episodes dubbed? If they're day and date with the English language premieres, it's likely they're not. Dubs take time and talent (bad dub talent is why I never watch anime dubs). Subtitles are a lot faster, and if you're used to them, they're a better experience than a mediocre dub.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Aug 2017, 16:50

I'm buying "The Waif killed Arya" theory.
If we suppose the faceless men and their many faced god (who is called death?) have an agenda regarding the coming war with the dead:
Arya is the vehicle to King Jon and the army of men.
Why Jaqen H'ghar allowed himself to be captured.
Why Arya is able to shape shift even after leaving the House of Black and White and forsaking the many faced god.
Why Nymeria rejected Arya.

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 16 Aug 2017, 17:08

Then why did she stop in the Riverlands and then head for Cersei? Why would the Terminator Waif act all conflicted at the Inn of the Crossroads, considering Jon is her target?

It's a cool idea, but the show doesn't have the balls to do something like that with one of its most popular characters. Martin could play that trick with his POV storytelling, though.

And great, another leaked episode. I gotta stay away from youtube until Sunday.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Aug 2017, 17:20

Jennifer wrote:
It is good. Not Ep. 4 good but good. No spoilers, but in the least plausible scene even by GOT standards, when someone yells "Fall back!" I laughed out loud.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Aug 2017, 18:16

MJGreen wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 17:08
Then why did she stop in the Riverlands and then head for Cersei? Why would the Terminator Waif act all conflicted at the Inn of the Crossroads, considering Jon is her target?
She thought the Boltons still held Winterfell.
It's a cool idea, but the show doesn't have the balls to do something like that with one of its most popular characters.
Ha ha. Shirley you jest.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Aug 2017, 20:12

Highway wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 15:29
Jennifer wrote:
Are the normal episodes dubbed? If they're day and date with the English language premieres, it's likely they're not. Dubs take time and talent (bad dub talent is why I never watch anime dubs). Subtitles are a lot faster, and if you're used to them, they're a better experience than a mediocre dub.
No subtitles either; just your standard English-language episode. Which is why I -- I mean, my trustworthy source -- doesn't understand the "HBO Spain aired it early" explanation.

As far as I know, the episodes which air in other-language countries are dubbed, not subtitled.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Aug 2017, 20:14

Warren wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 16:50
I'm buying "The Waif killed Arya" theory.
If we suppose the faceless men and their many faced god (who is called death?) have an agenda regarding the coming war with the dead:
Arya is the vehicle to King Jon and the army of men.
Why Jaqen H'ghar allowed himself to be captured.
Why Arya is able to shape shift even after leaving the House of Black and White and forsaking the many faced god.
Why Nymeria rejected Arya.
In addition to the points MJ raised: why would the waif have killed Walder Frey and his family?