A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Pham Nuwen

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Jun 2013, 22:48

Wow. So you guys are having this conversation again. Well, I just watched me some Game of Thrones. The Red Wedding is some severe shit y'all.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2013, 22:50

Pham Nuwen wrote: Well, I just watched me some Game of Thrones. The Red Wedding is some severe shit y'all.
AHAHAHAHA *book-reader-only gleeful shout*
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Jun 2013, 22:53

The show is totally worth it, Ellie. There's a reason Warrens trivia team name was "Swingin' Tits".

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2013, 23:05

I'm not especially anti-show -- just that I've known the Red Wedding was coming up but not watching the show meant I didn't know how soon, so I've just been waiting for the reactions to appear eventually :lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 02 Jun 2013, 23:07

Pham Nuwen wrote:The show is totally worth it, Ellie.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jun 2013, 23:09

They could have done a better job of foreshadowing, I think. (afaict they didn't use any of the subtle cues the book did, until right up to the event)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jun 2013, 23:12

Ayn_Randian wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:The show is totally worth it, Ellie.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Jun 2013, 23:16

Kolohe wrote:They could have done a better job of foreshadowing, I think. (afaict they didn't use any of the subtle cues the book did, until right up to the event)
The problem with doing too much foreshadowing in a visual medium is that you have a much higher chance of giving the game up. In the book you only read what the author wants you to. Overall I thought they did a pretty good job all things considered. It was certainly brutal enough.

Edited for possible spoilerage.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Jun 2013, 23:30

Christ all fucking mighty, AR. Are you seriously disputing the magnificence that is HBO's Game of Thrones?

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 02 Jun 2013, 23:32

Pham Nuwen wrote:Christ all fucking mighty, AR. Are you seriously disputing the magnificence that is HBO's Game of Thrones?
Of course I am. Walls of spoken text followed by pandering and gratuituous boobs? Blah. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate an attractive set. But I am not Pavolov's dong - you don't just get to swing-a-ling a pair in my face and expect to keep my attention.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Jun 2013, 23:36

I ... uh ... huh. So you focused on the tits and are upset that the tits didn't really offer much to the plot? Because the tits aren't that big a deal really.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Jun 2013, 23:37

Oh. So I did actually*. I suppose. But the wall of text is a bit much. Are you a Charlie Chaplin fan?

*the tits I mean

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jun 2013, 23:40

Painboy wrote:
Kolohe wrote:They could have done a better job of foreshadowing, I think. (afaict they didn't use any of the subtle cues the book did, until right up to the event)
The problem with doing too much foreshadowing in a visual medium is that you have a much higher chance of giving the game up. In the book you only read what the author wants you to. Overall I thought they did a pretty good job all things considered.
I guess I was looking for the reactions of the secondary characters that were put in the book. Though I understand the need to cut the part with Rob's direwolf before the wedding for time.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2013, 00:12

Ayn_Randian wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:Christ all fucking mighty, AR. Are you seriously disputing the magnificence that is HBO's Game of Thrones?
Of course I am. Walls of spoken text followed by pandering and gratuituous boobs? Blah. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate an attractive set. But I am not Pavolov's dong - you don't just get to swing-a-ling a pair in my face and expect to keep my attention.
I completely fail to understand how loads of clever dialog and plot development can be seen as a bad thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Jun 2013, 00:14

That was gruesome enough they may lose audience. From the perspective of a dude who hasn't read past book 2, and therefore none of this - the whole season feels kind of pointless. Theon tortured during almost every episode with the stated "there is no point". No plot advanced. Then the somewhat lack of buildup to this - like okay really you introduce this Fray guy and he wants to marry off a daughter and he does that? Plus you add the preggers wife and all? I dunno. I didn't that whole plot line but it was just retarded piling on grim. Weak.

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 03 Jun 2013, 00:24

Warren wrote:
Ayn_Randian wrote:
I completely fail to understand how loads of clever dialog and plot development can be seen as a bad thing.
Wait, "retarded piling on grim" is the perfect description. Thanks, Jason.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Jun 2013, 15:47

JasonL wrote:That was gruesome enough they may lose audience. From the perspective of a dude who hasn't read past book 2, and therefore none of this - the whole season feels kind of pointless. Theon tortured during almost every episode with the stated "there is no point". No plot advanced. Then the somewhat lack of buildup to this - like okay really you introduce this Fray guy and he wants to marry off a daughter and he does that? Plus you add the preggers wife and all? I dunno. I didn't that whole plot line but it was just retarded piling on grim. Weak.
If you've been watching the show from the start, you'd realize who Walder Frey is and why the Red Wedding happened. It's a game of thrones after all, and the self-proclaimed King of the North showed he couldn't keep an oath.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Jun 2013, 16:14

Jasper wrote:
JasonL wrote:That was gruesome enough they may lose audience. From the perspective of a dude who hasn't read past book 2, and therefore none of this - the whole season feels kind of pointless. Theon tortured during almost every episode with the stated "there is no point". No plot advanced. Then the somewhat lack of buildup to this - like okay really you introduce this Fray guy and he wants to marry off a daughter and he does that? Plus you add the preggers wife and all? I dunno. I didn't that whole plot line but it was just retarded piling on grim. Weak.
If you've been watching the show from the start, you'd realize who Walder Frey is and why the Red Wedding happened. It's a game of thrones after all, and the self-proclaimed King of the North showed he couldn't keep an oath.
I'm kinda hoping at this point that regardless of whoever wins that game, aliens dwarfs invade at that point and kill the rest of them except Peter Dinklage's character and maybe the dragon woman, too.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jun 2013, 16:34

I knew what to expect because I've read the Ice and Fire wiki (though not the actual books). But I'm only slightly snarking when I say that even if you never heard of the "Red Wedding" before last night, you STILL should've known something bad was about to happen because the episode showed us, like, four or five consecutive minutes of Starks being happy, and NOBODY in Westeros gets to be happy for long unless they're evil sadists who find happiness in the misery of others. So, yeah -- Robb was all lovey-dovey about his wife and future son, and repairing his damaged relationship with his mother, who in turn seemed to be warming to her new daughter-in-law ... of COURSE things are going to go hideously wrong now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2013, 23:13

Jennifer wrote:I knew what to expect because I've read the Ice and Fire wiki (though not the actual books). But I'm only slightly snarking when I say that even if you never heard of the "Red Wedding" before last night, you STILL should've known something bad was about to happen because the episode showed us, like, four or five consecutive minutes of Starks being happy, and NOBODY in Westeros gets to be happy for long unless they're evil sadists who find happiness in the misery of others. So, yeah -- Robb was all lovey-dovey about his wife and future son, and repairing his damaged relationship with his mother, who in turn seemed to be warming to her new daughter-in-law ... of COURSE things are going to go hideously wrong now.
Uh huh. But I'm still all "You mean he wins? Jesus, Grandpa, what did you read me this thing for?"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Jun 2013, 01:57

A thread for the HBO version of Game of Thrones.

Spoilers for the HBO series are admissible, but spoilers from the books should be color-shifted so as to preserve the WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED DAMN YOU GEORGE RR MARTIN YOU MURDEROUS PIGFUCKER YOU aspects for those of us watching the TV version before we read the books.

So if you go check out all the retweets by @RedWeddingTears, it's the best thing since Salty Ham Tears.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Re: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Post by Kolohe » 04 Jun 2013, 06:03

This is pretty much the entire internet Sunday night (as everyone who read the book expected would happen)

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jun 2013, 09:29

Isn't that what I just said?

Now perhaps someone who's read the books or pays closer attention to the show than counting boobs and beheadings, can tell me something. Catelyn gets her 'I've got a bad feeling about this' on when the band starts playing some tune. What's the tune?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Jun 2013, 09:39

So, the teaching point after perusing @RedWeddingTears is that HBO's GOT is naught but a lavishly produced fantasy themed soap opera. Sounds about right.

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Jun 2013, 09:40

I haven't actually read that part, but I hear tell it's supposed to be the Lannisters' favorite song. No way for anyone watching only the show to know that.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul