What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Warren » 01 Jan 2017, 23:06

Andrew wrote:
JasonL wrote:
JasonL wrote:Just had some Earnest T Lee, one of my favorite bourbons. Drinking red wine now. Meh Barossa red blend and decent Malbec.
Yeah drunk Elmer T Lee
I assume Elmer Lee just comes out of the kitchen tap in Kentucky.
No you have to go out in the yard and pump the handle.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 11 Jan 2017, 18:33

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jan 2017, 10:08

wife
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jan 2017, 10:34

"I'll bet you I can, Mr Cosby!"

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2017, 12:24

Having the confidence to do that wearing white is impressive.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Jan 2017, 12:39

dhex wrote:wife
^This was my thought as well.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jan 2017, 15:01

Me too.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2017, 15:12

Meaning "I would marry that woman"?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Jan 2017, 15:51

Warren wrote:Meaning "I would marry that woman"?
That is the correct interpretation of the internetese.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Jan 2017, 21:09

dhex wrote:wife
Srsly.

Also I am jealous of her hair and outfit.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Jan 2017, 05:46

Hofbrau has arrived in NZ relatively intact. It's a lovely beer.

Heineken really is in a race to the bottom. For a period circa 2011 to 2013 it was a half decent beer in NZ. Now it's the revolting musty/stale malt flavour horror that most contract brewed garbage euro lagers are.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 Jan 2017, 04:11

dbcooper wrote:For a period circa 2011 to 2013 (Heineken) was a half decent beer in NZ. Now it's the revolting musty/stale malt flavour horror that most contract brewed garbage euro lagers are.
I just don't know what to say here. Heineken has always been the Coors of Europe.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Jan 2017, 04:22

Kwix wrote:
dbcooper wrote:For a period circa 2011 to 2013 (Heineken) was a half decent beer in NZ. Now it's the revolting musty/stale malt flavour horror that most contract brewed garbage euro lagers are.
I just don't know what to say here. Heineken has always been the Coors of Europe.
The stuff you get in the Netherlands isn't something I'd choose to drink, but it's at least inoffensive. The locally brewed stuff in NZ used to be too. Now you need to chill it in the freezer to make it tolerable.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 Jan 2017, 04:28

I'm not really sure that Bruery Terreux's Tart of Darkness is signifgantly better than Anchorage Brewing's Anadromous, and I'm fairly sure it's not worth the $30/bottle I've paid for it but it is damn tasty.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Jan 2017, 09:44

Kwix wrote:I'm not really sure that Bruery Terreux's Tart of Darkness is signifgantly better than Anchorage Brewing's Anadromous, and I'm fairly sure it's not worth the $30/bottle I've paid for it but it is damn tasty.
That sounds delicious.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 24 Feb 2017, 21:05

Finally finished the bottle of delicious Stranahan's. I don't know if it's worth $60 a bottle, but it is excellent booze.

Opened a bottle of Old Fitzgerald (Heaven Hill) Larceny. No age statement. It's a hotter, less smooth version of Eagle Rare 10. At $22-25 in most places, it's great for the money, but it doesn't measure up to Eagle Rare.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 04 Mar 2017, 02:48

As a gift I received a bottle of Idiom Zinfandel (2012), transported from SA by my sister on a recent trip. This is one funky wine. The aroma starts off as black cherry and then morphs into a herbal/floral thing. Think running your hand over oregano in bloom and huffing it. I'm guessing this is the "aroma of fynbos" indicated on the label. The taste is also funky. Yeah, it's an oaked zin but there are some medicinal notes, in a good way. Some resin, some slight anise. Me likey.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Mar 2017, 08:25

Haven't had SA zin before. I like SA cab quite a bit but hate pinotage.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 04 Mar 2017, 15:41

Kwix wrote:As a gift I received a bottle of Idiom Zinfandel (2012), transported from SA by my sister on a recent trip. This is one funky wine. The aroma starts off as black cherry and then morphs into a herbal/floral thing. Think running your hand over oregano in bloom and huffing it. I'm guessing this is the "aroma of fynbos" indicated on the label. The taste is also funky. Yeah, it's an oaked zin but there are some medicinal notes, in a good way. Some resin, some slight anise. Me likey.
The in-house counsel (the red wine drinker) is very fond of a California zin called Predator. I dunno, but she's contemplated seriously getting a case of it to keep around.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Mar 2017, 17:19

My preferred zins are Ridge, 4 Vines Maverick, and as of last trip also Acorn. I used to do the Orin Swift bottles like Prisoner but after they sold to someone they got bigger and more alcoholic to the point i can't deal with them mostly. Feel that way about most of Napa proper for zin too.

https://www.ridgewine.com/wines/
http://fourvines.com/

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Mar 2017, 18:11

tr0g wrote:
Kwix wrote:As a gift I received a bottle of Idiom Zinfandel (2012), transported from SA by my sister on a recent trip. This is one funky wine. The aroma starts off as black cherry and then morphs into a herbal/floral thing. Think running your hand over oregano in bloom and huffing it. I'm guessing this is the "aroma of fynbos" indicated on the label. The taste is also funky. Yeah, it's an oaked zin but there are some medicinal notes, in a good way. Some resin, some slight anise. Me likey.
The in-house counsel (the red wine drinker) is very fond of a California zin called Predator. I dunno, but she's contemplated seriously getting a case of it to keep around.
"predator wine: there's always a good reason to take a seat over here. "
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Mar 2017, 23:50

There's a bar near me has Old Rip Van Winkle for a reasonable price.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Mar 2017, 18:07

I stopped at Total Wine yesterday, and bourbon mania has gotten so bad that Eagle Rare is now kept at the customer service counter and limited to one bottle per customer (like the two massively overpriced Canadian ryes they had from Whistle Pig and Lock Stock & Barrel). Fuckin hipsters have ruined everything.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Mar 2017, 18:12

New Belgium's Voodoo Ranger 8 Hop Pale Ale.

JD

Post by JD » 13 Mar 2017, 13:10

Got a bottle of El Buho mezcal. Rather nice.