What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Warren » 12 Aug 2016, 20:05

Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:O'Fallon 5 Day IPA
Now that's the way you dry hop.
That just hurts my tongue thinking about it.
No no, it's not one of those 'I Hant feel muh mowf' brews.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Aug 2016, 02:23

An Old Fashioned made with Yellow Rose rye whiskey.

It's really the first whiskey I've seriously liked.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2016, 21:34

Had a viura. It looked like urine, smelled like petroleum, and tasted of boiled ass with. With low enough acidity to bring out the drippy clingy sensation. Yum.*

*Not really yum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macabeo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Aug 2016, 00:46

Eric the .5b wrote:An Old Fashioned made with Yellow Rose rye whiskey.

If you get a chance to sample it somewhere (so you're not buying a bottle), the Woodford Reserve Rye might be one you like. Reviews of the Yellow Rose Rye seem to emphasize that it's herbal rather than spicy, and the Woodford is a remarkably herbal one.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Aug 2016, 04:58

Andrew wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:An Old Fashioned made with Yellow Rose rye whiskey.

If you get a chance to sample it somewhere (so you're not buying a bottle), the Woodford Reserve Rye might be one you like. Reviews of the Yellow Rose Rye seem to emphasize that it's herbal rather than spicy, and the Woodford is a remarkably herbal one.
Interesting, thanks!
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Aug 2016, 17:52

Though, even if the Woodford Reserve Rye is relatively expensive for a rye (a local outlet puts it at $40/bottle), that still leaves it far cheaper than a lot of scotch.

OK, this might be a dumb question—why, for hard liquors, does scotch have so much of a higher price range than rye, rum, gin, etc.? I mean, Bruichladdich makes a number of scotches that go up to $1200/bottle, but their limited-run gin, Botanist, is $40/bottle. (And very nice!)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Aug 2016, 19:31

Eric the .5b wrote:Though, even if the Woodford Reserve Rye is relatively expensive for a rye (a local outlet puts it at $40/bottle), that still leaves it far cheaper than a lot of scotch.

OK, this might be a dumb question—why, for hard liquors, does scotch have so much of a higher price range than rye, rum, gin, etc.? I mean, Bruichladdich makes a number of scotches that go up to $1200/bottle, but their limited-run gin, Botanist, is $40/bottle. (And very nice!)
An unheard-of level of demand plus scarcity. Many Scotch distilleries closed in the 70s-90s (Bruichladdich closed in 1994, was resuscitated in 2000 and bought by Remy Martin in 2012), so the supply of aged Scotch contracted greatly, and the current bourbon/scotch mania has people willing to pay absurd sums for any aged bottle. The general idea is that Scotch takes longer to mature than bourbon since Scotland has milder seasonal variations than Kentucky, so it's possible to have 30-40-50-year Scotches that still taste like something instead of just barrel wood (which is what most bourbon starts to taste like around 18 years). Of course, most of the mania buyers don't really care and just want high-year bottles because that's what's in vogue.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Nov 2016, 17:49

Aviation Gin. Moving soon, and have lots of tonic around the house, so it seemed like the prudent course was to buy some gin to use it all up (and I didn't want to open my bottle of Plymouth Navy Strength). Just opened the bottle and mixed with Q Tonic. So far, I'm not a fan. It's a low-juniper gin, but not in the amazing Plymouth way. It's just kind of... there. I'm trying to think of good uses for it, but it seems like it's going to have trouble standing up to any kind of decent mixer.

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Nov 2016, 19:40

was at a town thing and a guy who works for the company that owns jura (and a billion other distilleries) was doing some tastings for attendees. bottle design is fucking terrible, but jura prophecy was a really, really delicious drink if you like heavily smokey and peated scotch.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

JD

Post by JD » 22 Nov 2016, 14:08

There was a whiskey tasting in town the other weekend, but tickets were ridiculously expensive, so my wife and I decided to spend half as much and have our own whiskey tasting at home. We had:
-Jack Daniels
-Angel's Envy
-Breuckelen Distilling's 77 Wheat Whiskey
-Suntory Toki
-"Against the Grain" by Vom Fass
-Old Crow
-Four Roses Small Batch

So a nice mix from the very cheap to the rather pricy, although very unscientific as to choice of styles. We did the tasting as blind as possible, with one person pouring and numbering the shot glasses and handing them to the other, so the drinker couldn't tell which one they were tasting. Everything was tasted neat.

And the results? My favorites were the Suntory and the Old Crow, which was the cheapest one! The Suntory definitely stood out a bit - it's smoky like a scotch, which none of the others were. Tasting the 77, I thought a rye had snuck in by acciden: it's got that richness and spiciness that I associate more with rye. The only one I really didn't like that much was the Jack Daniels - put it up against a bunch of other whiskeys, and the flaws in it become really apparent. My wife liked the Four Roses, but she allowed that Jack Daniels might be OK over ice.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 22 Nov 2016, 14:25

We did much the same thing a while back after we went to the Garrison Brothers distillery and took the tour. It's how we settled on Old Forester as our house cheap bourbon. Old Forester simply doesn't have the complexity of the nicer bourbons, but for the price point it's hard to beat.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 22 Nov 2016, 14:47

While I was researching something else, I ran across this:
One primary product of MGP Indiana is a straight rye whiskey with a 95% rye mash bill, which is bottled under various brand names, including Angel's Envy, Bulleit Rye, Filibuster, George Dickel Rye, High West, James E. Pepper, Redemption, Smooth Ambler, and Templeton Rye.
Well, that explains why I've found Bulleit, High West, Redemption, and Templeton ryes to all be pretty good. I would have sworn Widow Jane rye was better, but apparently it's an MGP product too.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Nov 2016, 16:20

JD wrote:While I was researching something else, I ran across this:
One primary product of MGP Indiana is a straight rye whiskey with a 95% rye mash bill, which is bottled under various brand names, including Angel's Envy, Bulleit Rye, Filibuster, George Dickel Rye, High West, James E. Pepper, Redemption, Smooth Ambler, and Templeton Rye.
Well, that explains why I've found Bulleit, High West, Redemption, and Templeton ryes to all be pretty good. I would have sworn Widow Jane rye was better, but apparently it's an MGP product too.
With a small handful of exceptions, every rye is MGP. Even among the exceptions, a bunch are Canadian ryes from one distiller (including Whistle Pig). Rittenhouse and Pikesville from Heaven Hill, Jim Beam Rye, and Anchor Old Potrero are the non-MGP, non-Canadian ones (off the top of my head. I think there's 1 or 2 others).

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Dec 2016, 20:18

I have had home made eggnog that is superior. But I can't convince myself to go to the trouble of making what I can buy a perfectly serviceable version of. Especially since the primary function of eggnog is as a delivery system for bourbon. A little fresh shaved nutmeg also kicks it up a notch.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Dec 2016, 19:35

New Glarus Two Women beer, which is tasty and also opens up opportunities for a lot of bad "I like having Two Women in my mouth" type jokes.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Dec 2016, 19:38

Ellie wrote:New Glarus Two Women beer, which is tasty and also opens up opportunities for a lot of bad "I like having Two Women in my mouth" type jokes.
something something strong and bitter.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 27 Dec 2016, 20:20

Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:New Glarus Two Women beer, which is tasty and also opens up opportunities for a lot of bad "I like having Two Women in my mouth" type jokes.
something something strong and bitter.
Hah!
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 31 Dec 2016, 22:06

Finished off the bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year (probably the best bourbon available for $30), so we opened a bottle of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. Amazingly smooth for being a blend of 2, 3, and 5 year old whiskies. Even though the grain bill is more akin to scotch, it seemed very bourbon-like to me. I don't know if it's really worth $50-60 a bottle, but I certainly won't have to be forced to finish the bottle.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Dec 2016, 23:19

Eagle Rare is the best default bourbon.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Dec 2016, 23:21

Just had some Earnest T Lee, one of my favorite bourbons. Drinking red wine now. Meh Barossa red blend and decent Malbec.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Jan 2017, 00:13

1792, because my wife loves me.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jan 2017, 00:38

Bad sparkling cider, but only a sip to usher in the new year.

My wife was given a bottle of wine recently -- let me stop right here and say I know nothing about wine so don't even ask me the brand, type or year -- and she remarked how good it was. Later she looked up the price at Total Beverage: $330. From now on, she checks the price first. At the very least she could have saved it for a special occasion.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Jan 2017, 20:38

Colonel E. H. Taylor Small Batch, I got it as my Christmas bourbon.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jan 2017, 21:34

JasonL wrote:Just had some Earnest T Lee, one of my favorite bourbons. Drinking red wine now. Meh Barossa red blend and decent Malbec.
Yeah drunk Elmer T Lee

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Jan 2017, 22:45

JasonL wrote:
JasonL wrote:Just had some Earnest T Lee, one of my favorite bourbons. Drinking red wine now. Meh Barossa red blend and decent Malbec.
Yeah drunk Elmer T Lee
I assume Elmer Lee just comes out of the kitchen tap in Kentucky.