What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2017, 11:58

dead_elvis wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 22:39
So I'm in New Hampshire for a few weeks and, as one does when one is in New Hampshire, I have to try everything maple related. Had a can of kanc country maple porter (Woodstock Inn Brewery). I don't taste any maple in the least. Decent porter though.
I brewed a maple oat stout out of maple sap once. Couldn't taste the maple or the oat in the final product. Decent stout though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Jul 2017, 12:50

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 11:58
dead_elvis wrote:
So I'm in New Hampshire for a few weeks and, as one does when one is in New Hampshire, I have to try everything maple related. Had a can of kanc country maple porter (Woodstock Inn Brewery). I don't taste any maple in the least. Decent porter though.
I brewed a maple oat stout out of maple sap once. Couldn't taste the maple or the oat in the final product. Decent stout though.
From what I could tell googling "homebrewing Maple syrup" it is apparently very difficult to get much maple flavor out in the final product, though some people did seem to think one has a better chance with sap than syrup.

ETA: did you add it in the boil or later?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Jul 2017, 14:54

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 11:58
dead_elvis wrote:
The only adjunct like that that really stayed through the brewing process when I was doing it was molasses, for whatever reason. Not sure we tried maple, though.

ETA - If it's true syrup, it should be sterile enough due to the high sugar content to add at racking, which might hold better.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jason

Post by Jason » 17 Jul 2017, 13:27

dead_elvis wrote:
Find any acerglyn yet?
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jul 2017, 13:34

Jason wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 13:27
dead_elvis wrote:
Find any acerglyn yet?
(googling furiously)

Nope, haven't seen it. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jul 2017, 23:15

If Sam Smith's Taddy Porter isn't the best porter ever made, I'll eat my hat.
(And then drink the better one)

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 18 Jul 2017, 12:46

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 18 Jul 2017, 14:33

If'n you like a smoked porter:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alaskan-smoked-porter/16/

To my knowledge the only beer smoked with alder rather than beech.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 18 Jul 2017, 15:25

Kwix wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 14:33
If'n you like a smoked porter:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alaskan-smoked-porter/16/

To my knowledge the only beer smoked with alder rather than beech.
Neat. That goes on my wish list.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Jul 2017, 16:43

I'll second the Alaskan, it's been while but I recall it being quite good.

Thanks for the other recommendations, Sandy.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 18 Jul 2017, 19:42

There's a million good porters from English craft brewers. Not sure how well they travel though. I used to enjoy St Peters on tap.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Jul 2017, 22:59

dbcooper wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 19:42
I used to enjoy St Peters on tap.
Totes Jelly.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Jul 2017, 16:13

The upside down keg stands get tiring after a while tho.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 08 Dec 2017, 17:22

The Queen of England is officially classified as a "binge drinker".
"According to Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin, HM's alcohol intake never varies. She takes a gin and Dubonnet before lunch, with a slice of lemon and a lot of ice. She will take wine with lunch and a dry Martini and a glass of champagne in the evening."

The piece continued, making the same point made by Unilad and others five years later:

"That comes to 6 units per day, which would make Her Majesty a binge drinker by government standards."
The government states that men and women should not exceed 14 units per week.

If Rhodes is correct, and this is indeed how much Queen Elizabeth drinks per day, then she is on 40.6 units per week.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Dec 2017, 18:15

So... drunk as a lord?

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Dec 2017, 13:40

Perhaps you'll remember tr0g mentioning Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur. Stevo brought me a bottle of the stuff a while back. I tried a few variations on mixing it with cream soda. Not bad but nothing that I really wanted to try again. A couple weeks ago I was wondering what else I could do with it and I hit upon a cocktail that I've recreated five times now. It's just a twist on something else, but I think it's a winner.

Kentucky Mule Blood
1.5 oz Bourbon
1 oz Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur
6 oz ginger beer

I don't have a copper mug, but it would be traditional. You could serve it on rocks, though I think it would suffer from dilution. Ginger beer being carbonated I wouldn't shake it.
If you have a blood orange, you could garnish with that. Else I think the maraschino cherry is the way to go.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 12 Dec 2017, 14:58

Anyone ever drink anything like this? Looks disgusting, yet I feel strangely compelled (Dio *is* actually a wizard!) to try it for the novelty. Looks like it's in the same ballpark as mulled wine only it's ale and sherry instead?

I wonder what sort of modern equivalent would come closest to "ale" of the 1850s?
Wassail Bowl ("The Wassail, prepared by Charles Dickens for the entertainment, on Christmas Eve, at the Charity of Richard Watts, Rochester, Kent, England, 1854")

1 quart ale
1/4 ounce ground nutmeg
1/4 ounce grated ginger
1/4 ounce grated cinnamon
1/2 bottle sherry
2 slices toasted bread (1/2 inch thick)
1 lemon, juice & peel
sugar to taste
2 well-baked apples

Put ale in sauce pan and cook gently till it foams, then stir in the spices, add the sherry, lemon peel and juice with sugar. When sugar is dissolved, set pan aside on stove for twenty minutes to infuse. Then warm up, pour into punch bowl, let the toast and apples float in this and serve in cups.

They say it tastes best if you’re in the eye-bleeding phase of yellow fever and your eight-year-old just got laid off at the blacking factory.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Dec 2017, 17:07

dead_elvis wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 14:58
Anyone ever drink anything like this? Looks disgusting, yet I feel strangely compelled (Dio *is* actually a wizard!) to try it for the novelty. Looks like it's in the same ballpark as mulled wine only it's ale and sherry instead?

I wonder what sort of modern equivalent would come closest to "ale" of the 1850s?
Wassail Bowl ("The Wassail, prepared by Charles Dickens for the entertainment, on Christmas Eve, at the Charity of Richard Watts, Rochester, Kent, England, 1854")

1 quart ale
1/4 ounce ground nutmeg
1/4 ounce grated ginger
1/4 ounce grated cinnamon
1/2 bottle sherry
2 slices toasted bread (1/2 inch thick)
1 lemon, juice & peel
sugar to taste
2 well-baked apples

Put ale in sauce pan and cook gently till it foams, then stir in the spices, add the sherry, lemon peel and juice with sugar. When sugar is dissolved, set pan aside on stove for twenty minutes to infuse. Then warm up, pour into punch bowl, let the toast and apples float in this and serve in cups.

They say it tastes best if you’re in the eye-bleeding phase of yellow fever and your eight-year-old just got laid off at the blacking factory.
I would guess a middling beer in all respects - amber ale or maybe a brown, but not a porter or a stout, and not a hopped up pale ale. Maybe a Belgianish farmhouse style, but probably not, as by the 1800s English beer would've been brewery-made not home-made.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Dec 2017, 17:17

The point is that it's a disgusting perversion on both traditional and modern interpretations of wassail.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT