What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Nov 2015, 21:39

tr0g wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I got a couple of new tires, and on the way back, I stopped by the new Specs that opened up along my drive home. There, while getting some more Botanist and other sundries, I grabbed a couple of little two-packs of airplane liquor bottles.

I'm sipping the contents of one of those little bottles, WIld Turkey American Honey, as the laundry runs. With a dash of cold water to keep my tongue from going numb...I like it. I may have to experiment with honey and other bourbons.
Try the American Honey with a Jones Cream Soda. It's pretty damn tasty.
What kind of proportions?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 24 Nov 2015, 15:51

Eric the .5b wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I got a couple of new tires, and on the way back, I stopped by the new Specs that opened up along my drive home. There, while getting some more Botanist and other sundries, I grabbed a couple of little two-packs of airplane liquor bottles.

I'm sipping the contents of one of those little bottles, WIld Turkey American Honey, as the laundry runs. With a dash of cold water to keep my tongue from going numb...I like it. I may have to experiment with honey and other bourbons.
Uh, lazy drunk ones? Pint glass, fill with ice, pour in 2 oz or so of the whiskey, add Cream Soda, stir. For a simple drink like this, I usually wing it.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Nov 2015, 15:59

tr0g wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
tr0g wrote:

Uh, lazy drunk ones? Pint glass, fill with ice, pour in 2 oz or so of the whiskey, add Cream Soda, stir. For a simple drink like this, I usually wing it.
Perhaps a dash of bitters?
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Dec 2015, 14:26

Noah's Mill bourbon. There is some serious hipster buzz about this bourbon, and my brother saw it going for $20 a shot in Austin (and that's just for a random bottle, not a particularly in-demand batch). I found a bottle of batch 15-18 (very lucky find in a dive liquor store), which one major critic named as his best of 2015.

Having tried it, I made a huge mistake in opening it. I should've sold it at an outrageous inflated price to someone. I foolishly assumed that most of the bourbons that people are obsessing about are actually good, if just overpriced. I mean, I would think Pappy Van Winkle 20-year is good and doesn't just taste like a bottle of ball sweat. I don't assume it's good enough to justify the astronomical price (especially with my palate), but I'd guess it's pleasant to sit and drink.

Not so with the Noah's Mill. It's incredibly hot and doesn't have that much going on. I don't have the greatest palate, but there are quite a few basic bourbons I'd rank far above this one. It will be something of a chore to get through this bottle.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Dec 2015, 09:31

There's a lot of gimmicky junk in bourbon these days. Market's overheated and you can sell anything to a japanese businessman. Sorry, but it's true. They buy up everything and love gimmicks. See: Jefferson's Voyage. I've had 3 of the voyages and none of them rate much above meh.

Elmer T Lee is very good if you can find it.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Dec 2015, 12:26

JasonL wrote:There's a lot of gimmicky junk in bourbon these days. Market's overheated and you can sell anything to a japanese businessman. Sorry, but it's true. They buy up everything and love gimmicks. See: Jefferson's Voyage. I've had 3 of the voyages and none of them rate much above meh.

Elmer T Lee is very good if you can find it.
Very true. Usually, I've been good at avoiding the nonsense with doing research and ignoring hype. Noah's Mill is bottled by KBD/Willett, so it didn't set off any alarms (unlike crap by Jeffersons, Michters, Diageo, etc.). I'll be more skeptical of them in the future.

At this point, the trusted list is down to Four Roses, Heaven Hill, and Wild Turkey.

I assume Elmer Lee is something I'll never see in person. The demand and hype is just too high.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Dec 2015, 12:28

Booker's, Willet, and Weller are on the common and non-gimmicky.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Dec 2015, 13:18

I've said it before. Just get things bottled under Buffalo Trace. Find one you like.

Weller is my favorite by a long shot, but Rock Hill Farms is certainly a top 5 for me. It's a rye but does not taste like it. I thought someone was lying to me about the mash. It is very smooth and has a hint of wheated sweet but less than weller.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Dec 2015, 18:58

Out of the huge Buffalo Trace product line, there are only two things I can reliably find: regular Buffalo Trace and Blanton's. A number of their products don't get distributed in Arizona (Rock Hill, Sazerac, Hancock's, etc.) and the others are the subject of such whiskey mania that they can't be found (Pappy, Antique Collection, any of the Wellers, Elmer Lee). Even Eagle Rare 10 has gotten tough to find. It makes me annoyed at the Arizona distributors and Buffalo Trace.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Dec 2015, 20:20

Rock Hill is similar to Blantons. A bit less bite.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 07 Dec 2015, 21:55

I picked up a 6 of this. Let's see if it lives up to everything else associated with Will Ferrel by being decidedly mediocre.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Dec 2015, 06:46

tr0g wrote:I picked up a 6 of this. Let's see if it lives up to everything else associated with Will Ferrel by being decidedly mediocre.
Unless they improved the recipe from the last time I had it, it's decidedly mediocre.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 08 Dec 2015, 09:31

Andrew wrote:
tr0g wrote:I picked up a 6 of this. Let's see if it lives up to everything else associated with Will Ferrel by being decidedly mediocre.
Unless they improved the recipe from the last time I had it, it's decidedly mediocre.
Yeah, it's not bad, but there's absolutely nothing to recommend it. I mean, if you're gonna tout all the ingredients you put in it, maybe I should be able to taste them?

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Dec 2015, 20:26

Cardenal Mendoza brandy de Jerez.
First time trying a brandy de Jerez and man is this stuff hard to pair. Tastes of brandy, sherry, old oak mixed with black raisins. Not good for sipping neat.

A solid cocktail that is basically an old fashioned substituting Gran Marnier for simple syrup worked well.
Interested to try others, maybe a sidecar or other sour style.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Dec 2015, 20:54

Elijah Craig 12. Now that's a nice bourbon. Reminds me of the Old Weller Antique, but unlike that one, it's not subject to whiskey mania (yet), so I can find it for under $30 most everywhere.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Mar 2016, 19:30

Junipero gin and Fever Tree Bitter Lemon. It's ~80 degrees out, there's a light breeze, and all the windows are open. All the chores are done and dinner is cooking. The perfect drink for a relaxing Sunday evening.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Mar 2016, 05:06

2009 Trinity Hill Homage Gimblett Gravels Syrah, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand.

Apparently this is about US$100 to 110 per bottle on the internet. Turns out that my brother had a case of it stored at my parents' place in old New Zealand. Light fingers have revealed that it's pretty good, but not better than a EUR50 bottle at a good bistro in Paris. Hmm.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Mar 2016, 10:50

$50 bistro price not $50 retail? Here restaurant mark up is at least 2X. A $50 bottle at a restaurant here is probably a $20 bottle retail. If the $100 retail bottle tastes comparable to a $20 bottle, that's not good. I'd expect quality at $50 retail per bottle to be not super different from quality at $100, which is why I don't spend much in the near $100 zone except for certain things I know I like and can't get otherwise.

ETA:
A $20 bottle of CA Cabernet is the ubiquitous Mondavi Napa Cabernet or Estancia or something.

A $100 bottle of CA Cabernet is something like a Nickel and Nickel single vineyard cab.

That's a big spread. If I can go to $45 or $50 I can grab lots of options close in quality to the Nickel Nickel.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Apr 2016, 15:20

French labor thugs, vin edition:

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/a ... -the-drain
On Monday, French farmers protesting at a border crossing between France and Spain ransacked five Spanish trucks attempting to transport wine into the country. As The Daily Telegraph reports, the angry farmers poured the equivalent of 90,000 bottles of Spanish wine down the drain and wrote the phrase “vin non conforme” (“non-compliant wine”) on the side of the trucks

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Apr 2016, 15:22

I don't want Germany to solve the Greece problem, but there are problems in Europe they can solve...
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Apr 2016, 16:08

lunchstealer wrote:I don't want Germany to solve the Greece problem, but there are problems in Europe they can solve...
Alright lunch, come wipe off my monitor.

I read that intercepting and dumping Spanish wine has been going on for a long time and is on the rise. The Spanish are getting quite miffed about it too.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Apr 2016, 16:19

Farmers in rich countries are the worst. I'm sorry, they are. Every time you turn around it's farmers defending some bs magic price level that's hurting poor people across the globe. Scare people about GMO then create fake premium product lines such as organic and whatnot. Put corn in your cars. Impose tariffs on the poorest people on earth.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Apr 2016, 16:56

JasonL wrote:Farmers in rich countries are the worst. I'm sorry, they are. Every time you turn around it's farmers defending some bs magic price level that's hurting poor people across the globe. Scare people about GMO then create fake premium product lines such as organic and whatnot. Put corn in your cars. Impose tariffs on the poorest people on earth.
Indeed. I understand the subsidies to french vineyards and wineries are substantial.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Aug 2016, 19:49

O'Fallin 5 Day IPA
Now that's the way you dry hop.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Aug 2016, 19:55

Warren wrote:O'Fallin 5 Day IPA
Now that's the way you dry hop.
That just hurts my tongue thinking about it.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren