What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Post Reply
User avatar
Solitudinarian
Posts: 320
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:06

What are you drinking?

Post by Solitudinarian » 26 Apr 2013, 20:27

Unsure if we have a thread like this already (too much to drink, I guess), I would like to know what the home brewers, high-class winos, cocktail enthusiasts, and other barflies at the Gryll are currently imbibing. A place to position your poison against others and maybe get a tip for your next tipple.

I started off with moonshine acquired from a bib overalls-wearin' gent down at the local VFW, $10 per quart. For supper, the Divine(ly irascible) Mrs. Solitudinarian has opened a bottle of 2009 Becker Vineyards Malbec -- part of her completely unexpected and not entirely explicable fascination with all things Texan.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14622
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by dhex » 26 Apr 2013, 21:36

i got a friend of bottle of ardbeg for a housewarming/gotkickedoutbyhisgirlfriendwarming party. it was not a hit with anyone but me and him. i liked it. it's kinda weird, extremely peaty-smokey wacky tasting. i think i'd still prefer glenlivet for regular drinking if i did that regularly but i would buy a bottle again. fairly reasonable pricing (for scotch).
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21322
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Mo » 26 Apr 2013, 21:58

Buffalo Trace.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6041
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Apr 2013, 22:17

Mo wrote:Buffalo Trace.
Nice.

The lovely and very talented traveller and I just polished off a bottle of earthquake zin.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2662
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by pistoffnick » 27 Apr 2013, 22:55

The usual: cheap vodka mixed with diet squirt. I used to call it a Panty Dropper and I thought I was all cool for coming up with a clever name, but I've been told there is another. F'n copyright!
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 2762
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Number 6 » 27 Apr 2013, 23:35

I'm on shift for the next 34 hours or so, but last night I had a stout called beyond the limits, or out of bounds, or some such. It was quite good, with a little more bitter bite that I expect in a stout.
I just wish I could remember the actual name. The label has a picture of a skier on it.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2341
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Jake » 28 Apr 2013, 02:21

Number 6 wrote:I'm on shift for the next 34 hours or so, but last night I had a stout called beyond the limits, or out of bounds, or some such. It was quite good, with a little more bitter bite that I expect in a stout.
I just wish I could remember the actual name. The label has a picture of a skier on it.
This one?

Image
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14682
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Apr 2013, 02:46

Jake wrote:
Number 6 wrote:I'm on shift for the next 34 hours or so, but last night I had a stout called beyond the limits, or out of bounds, or some such. It was quite good, with a little more bitter bite that I expect in a stout.
I just wish I could remember the actual name. The label has a picture of a skier on it.
This one?

Image
I enjoy that one. Haven't had it in a while. Haven't really had much of anything in a while.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11130
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Apr 2013, 07:07

Angostura 1919, splashed generously on and stirred with some not-over-strong iced coconut water.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 2762
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Number 6 » 28 Apr 2013, 15:05

Jake wrote:
Number 6 wrote:I'm on shift for the next 34 hours or so, but last night I had a stout called beyond the limits, or out of bounds, or some such. It was quite good, with a little more bitter bite that I expect in a stout.
I just wish I could remember the actual name. The label has a picture of a skier on it.
This one?

Image
Yep, that.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 5647
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26
Location: Happy Katanakaa Everyone!

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Dangerman » 28 Apr 2013, 16:16

Eric the .5b wrote:Angostura 1919, splashed generously on and stirred with some not-over-strong iced coconut water.
Eric, have you enjoyed Ron Flor de Cana? Is possibly the best rum in existence, neck and neck with Goslings Black Seal.

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9688
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JD » 04 May 2013, 17:03

Speaking of which, I am at this very moment sitting on my fire escape, looking out over the waters of New York Harbor, the sun shining and the breeze lightly blowing, drinking a tall Cuba Libre. Or perhaps I should call it a Venezuela Libre, as it is made with the Ron Diplomatico I bought recently. The cola is Puma Kola, and there's a healthy amount of lime. I worked out today, I cleaned up the apartment, and now I'm sitting in the sun and the breeze drinking. Life is pretty good.

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 5647
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26
Location: Happy Katanakaa Everyone!

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Dangerman » 04 May 2013, 18:37

JD wrote:Speaking of which, I am at this very moment sitting on my fire escape, looking out over the waters of New York Harbor, the sun shining and the breeze lightly blowing, drinking a tall Cuba Libre. Or perhaps I should call it a Venezuela Libre, as it is made with the Ron Diplomatico I bought recently. The cola is Puma Kola, and there's a healthy amount of lime. I worked out today, I cleaned up the apartment, and now I'm sitting in the sun and the breeze drinking. Life is pretty good.
If I wasn't sitting in the lobby of a nice hotel waiting to go see my favorite band in the best show of the year, I'd be hella jelly brah.

Sounds really nice.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11130
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 May 2013, 21:11

Dangerman wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Angostura 1919, splashed generously on and stirred with some not-over-strong iced coconut water.
Eric, have you enjoyed Ron Flor de Cana? Is possibly the best rum in existence, neck and neck with Goslings Black Seal.
No, but I'll keep an eye out for both of those, thanks. (Mind, I may not have a refined enough palate to appreciate them. I just trial-and-error recommendations.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6041
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 May 2013, 09:20

That's a big claim. Goslings is pretty amazing.

Any of you tried Bacardi 8?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 5647
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26
Location: Happy Katanakaa Everyone!

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Dangerman » 05 May 2013, 10:27

Pham Nuwen wrote:That's a big claim. Goslings is pretty amazing.

Any of you tried Bacardi 8?
Goslings is harsh compared to Flor de Cana. I could never drink Goslings straight (but it is essential for a proper Dark and Stormy) but I would share a 250ml bottle of Flor every day with the girlfriend while we were traveling. If we could get Coke and ice, great, if not you could still sip it all all day long.

Eric, Goslings is a terrific mixing rum, and Flor should impress even the well seasoned drinker.

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9688
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JD » 10 May 2013, 15:09

The other night I had a glass of Templeton Rye. It was pretty damn amazing, and I recommend it both to people who like rye, and to people who think ryes are generally too harsh.

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6461
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by tr0g » 12 May 2013, 20:32

Drinking a Karbach Pontificator, a smoked doublebock. Interesting, but I doubt I'll repeat.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9688
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JD » 13 May 2013, 13:34

Yesterday evening I had a drink made with rye, sloe gin, and Bonal Quina. It was interesting but I don't think all those ingredients really go together.

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2662
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by pistoffnick » 18 May 2013, 17:56

Amaretto on the rocks.

The last time I had amaretto was back in high school when Gail H****** let me drink from her bottle while I was feeling up her tits in a hay field.

Ahh memories/mammaries.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14622
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by dhex » 19 May 2013, 08:46

Left hand milk stout. Pretty good in bottle form.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
Ayn_Randian
Posts: 10727
Joined: 08 May 2010, 14:58

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Ayn_Randian » 20 May 2013, 00:24

dhex wrote:Left hand milk stout. Pretty good in bottle form.
That's a really good one.

I've been habitually drinking Bells Oberon and Two-Hearted.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9688
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JD » 20 May 2013, 10:20

Left Hand always makes pretty good stuff. Recently I tried some Widow Jane rye, which was good but not as good as the Templeton, and some Old Overholt rye, which was distinctly not as good. I'm surprised to see it's apparently well-regarded, because I found it relatively thin and one-dimensional.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5590
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Andrew » 20 May 2013, 10:42

JD wrote:Left Hand always makes pretty good stuff. Recently I tried some Widow Jane rye, which was good but not as good as the Templeton, and some Old Overholt rye, which was distinctly not as good. I'm surprised to see it's apparently well-regarded, because I found it relatively thin and one-dimensional.
I like Old Overholt because it's $9 a fifth. The flavors aren't complex, but for the price it's a great bargain.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6461
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by tr0g » 20 May 2013, 11:07

Andrew wrote:
JD wrote:Left Hand always makes pretty good stuff. Recently I tried some Widow Jane rye, which was good but not as good as the Templeton, and some Old Overholt rye, which was distinctly not as good. I'm surprised to see it's apparently well-regarded, because I found it relatively thin and one-dimensional.
I like Old Overholt because it's $9 a fifth. The flavors aren't complex, but for the price it's a great bargain.
That's like Old Forrester for bourbon. For $14 a fifth, it's hard to beat Old Forrester. Yeah, I can get better bourbon, but the bang for the buck is high.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests