What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 23:09
JasonL wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 11:38
I have to get to Portugal. It's a glaring hole in my wine education and travel experiences.
And it's awesome as a place to go, especially because it's cheap.
And you can buy drugs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

I got a bottle of Ardbeg the other day. The label says things like "immense smokiness", "sea spray", and "tarry rope", and that's pretty accurate. It's damn good stuff, but you do have to like hugely smoky Scotch. Their own notes on the aroma are pretty funny, actually:
A burst of intense smoky fruit escapes into the atmosphere - peat infused with zesty lemon and lime, wrapped in waxy dark chocolate. Bold menthol and black pepper slice through the sweet smoke followed by tarry ropes and graphite. Savour the aroma of smoked fish and crispy bacon alongside green bell peppers, baked pineapple and pear juice.

Add water and an oceanic minerality brings a breath of cool, briny seaspray. Waxed lemon and lime follows with coal tar soap, beeswax and herby pine woodlands. Toasted vanilla and sizzling cinnamon simmer with warm hazelnut and almond toffee.
Mmm, graphite and soap.

On the other end of the price spectrum, we've been so happy with Old Crow bourbon that I started to wonder if there was anything comparable price/quality-wise in the gin world, so I did a little research. (I recommend Paste Magazine's "10 of the Best Bottom Shelf, Cheap Gins, Blind-Tasted and Ranked") I ended up buying a bottle of Gordon's, and you know what? It's not bad. For the price, it's remarkably good. Now, it is very much a traditional London Dry gin, so you have to like that style, but for a $17 plastic bottle of gin, it's way better than you might expect. I still prefer New Western gin, but I'm happy having some Gordon's G&Ts.

Oh, and I've been making jalapeño margaritas too. Honestly, margaritas are so damn simple to make I have no idea why anyone would ever buy a mix, or why commercial ones tend to be sugary crap, except that I guess it's even cheaper and faster, and Americans tend to like sugary crap.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Might also be familiarity; people want something that tastes like the mixes used in a lot of bars.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I almost never make margaritas from scratch because the cleanup defeats the point of drinking them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

A while back someone gave me a bottle of "Mr. Black" coffee liqueur, and I hadn't really been able to find anything to do with it. It's described by the makers as "a bittersweet blend of top-grade Arabica coffees and Australian wheat vodka", and it really doesn't taste like anything except coffee with a bit of alcohol burn. I tried using it in some mixed drinks, where it didn't taste like anything except coffee, and I tried putting it in coffee, where it didn't taste like anything at all.

But last night I tried pouring it over vanilla ice cream. THAT is a winning combination.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

I mean. Did you even try mixing it with cream? That would be my first go to. And if you can steam milk, you could work your way through the Starbucks menu. I'll have a half-caf white chocolate mochachino, and a twist of lemon.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

My team got me a 27 year old bottle of Bunnahabhain as a going away gift. I still haven't opened it up yet. Though I may crack it open to celebrate making it to Singapore.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 12:57
Oh, and I've been making jalapeño margaritas too. Honestly, margaritas are so damn simple to make I have no idea why anyone would ever buy a mix, or why commercial ones tend to be sugary crap, except that I guess it's even cheaper and faster, and Americans tend to like sugary crap.
ZingZang margarita mix is the market.
nuf sed
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

iggy

Post by iggy »

I struggle with remembering that the current closing time for liquor stores in my state is six. So, tonight is a Guinness night until I can pick up a good whiskey for sipping over the weekend tomorrow.

nicole

Post by nicole »

I am now drinking (as in generally, not this minute) this ridiculous alcoholic fruit punch. We call it my “juice” and yes I am Buster Bluth now.

It’s really pretty good and tastes like fruit punch only and then you’re like wait I’m drunk and it takes a whole week to actually look at the can and realize it’s way stronger than what I usually drink lol.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

iggy wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 20:22
I struggle with remembering that the current closing time for liquor stores in my state is six. So, tonight is a Guinness night until I can pick up a good whiskey for sipping over the weekend tomorrow.
Jeez. Even South Carolina wasn't that bad when I was living there. Is it a COVID thing?

Also welcome aboard, Iggy! The place is weird but mostly alright.

There are a lot of running/in jokes. Feel no compunction to understand. If something doesn't make sense, feel free to just smile and nod, but if you want to know wtf is going on, it's totally cool to ask and someone will explain. It'll make Warren sad, which is kind of a bonus. That's one of the running jokes.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Highway

Post by Highway »

nicole wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 20:32
I am now drinking (as in generally, not this minute) this ridiculous alcoholic fruit punch. We call it my “juice” and yes I am Buster Bluth now.

It’s really pretty good and tastes like fruit punch only and then you’re like wait I’m drunk and it takes a whole week to actually look at the can and realize it’s way stronger than what I usually drink lol.
That sounds pretty good, I should get some. I usually drink Bay Breezes, so not too much different.

ETA: :( Not available around here.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

iggy wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 20:22
Just wanted to say hello. Poke around, follow a few threads (probably best to only read the last and next to last page for most), you'll figure out soon enough if we're your cup of tea or Guinness or whiskey or not.

iggy

Post by iggy »

Thanks for the welcomes. South Carolina is close. I'm up in NC and, yeah, it is a Covid rule. Twelve extra hours a week to buy alcohol just gone. I will poke around and probably mostly stay to the last/next-to-last pages, but I have also learned that--sometimes--page 127 of 269 or whatever can often give you a really good primer for what a forum is really all about. ;)

JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:37
JD wrote:
nuf sed
Hm. I was all ready to dump on it, but I suppose it would be more effort to mix three fruit juices yourself at home.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 11:48
Warren wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:37
JD wrote:
nuf sed
Hm. I was all ready to dump on it, but I suppose it would be more effort to mix three fruit juices yourself at home.
It would. Although your kitchen would smell better if you juiced them yourself.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT