What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Mo »

Maybe it is the champagne of beers. (Look in the upper left quadrant near the x-axis)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... mardi-gras
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Mo wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 15:35
Maybe it is the champagne of beers. (Look in the upper left quadrant near the x-axis)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... mardi-gras
Really it's the house red of beers but yes.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

I was drinking Monkey Shoulder Scotch last night. Surprisingly good and according to google, very reasonably priced. Anyone else ever taste it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

I've had it before. It's pretty decent.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

Same here, not for quite a while though.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

MODUS HOPERANDI - IPA
by Ska Brewing (CO)

At 6.8% ABV it's a wee mite strong for me. Damned tasty though. Good bitter bite without being overpowering (I'm looking at you Dogfish Head). But it's the finish that makes it. A bright piney dry-hop aftertaste that lingers.

The can sports the phrase "Lip Up Fatty". After may clicks through the YouGoogs, I think I understand the meaning, but not the reason. I do dig the bobby-soxers graphic though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The other night, I tried some Jim Beam I'd gotten for Christmas.

...It turned out to be OK in a honey-and-bitters Old Fashioned.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Warren wrote:
04 May 2019, 17:27
MODUS HOPERANDI - IPA
by Ska Brewing (CO)

At 6.8% ABV it's a wee mite strong for me. Damned tasty though. Good bitter bite without being overpowering (I'm looking at you Dogfish Head). But it's the finish that makes it. A bright piney dry-hop aftertaste that lingers.

The can sports the phrase "Lip Up Fatty". After may clicks through the YouGoogs, I think I understand the meaning, but not the reason. I do dig the bobby-soxers graphic though.
If you can get some Deschute's Pinedrops is an excellent resinous IPA in the west coast style.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba

JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote:
04 May 2019, 17:27
At 6.8% ABV it's a wee mite strong for me.
"At 6.8% ABV it's a wee mite strong"?!?! My everyday go-to is something like Snake Dog, at 7.1%, or Delicious IPA, at 7.7%. If I'm feeling it, I go for Raging Bitch, at 8.3%, and I'm looking forward to trying The Truth, at 8.7%, and every now and then I like a Double Bastard at 11%.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

That said, this last week I was drinking El Sully. It's fine, although frankly I think if your goal is "Mexican Lager" you can get there cheaper.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I often go for wee heavies and strong IPAs but there's a lot to be said for a good session beer.

BTW, I am not down with the examples of brut IPAs I've had. There's a trendy hop profile that I'm not digging. I imagine this is what older beer drinkers thought when tasting Cascade for the first time, but yeah it's just irksome. Like all the wrong grapefruit flavors or something. Like just the pith.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Kwix

Post by Kwix »

I like the brut stuff. It's IPA without all of that grainy sweetness. Yeah, it's out of balance and no I won't drink them all the time but when I want a bitter punch in the face it fits the bill.

ETA: I also like campari and most amaros so... yeah.
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba

dhex

Post by dhex »

Bought a bottle of ardbeg 10 and I'm not sure if I made a mistake. Sheeeeeeeeeeet it is intense.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

dhex wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 19:05
Bought a bottle of ardbeg 10 and I'm not sure if I made a mistake. Sheeeeeeeeeeet it is intense.
Ardbeg 10 is great, although I would probably never do more than two pours in an evening.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex »

I really liked the other ardbeg I've had over the years but this is beefy. Splash of water helps.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

My local bar / 3rd place is closing [emoji22].

I just witnessed a boilermaker made with Pappy 23 and Hudy. So that was a thing.

Plus side, I got this for free.
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG (92.91 KiB) Viewed 2441 times

JD

Post by JD »

Because I can't drink while on this medication, I'm trying Brooklyn Brewery's "Special Effects". And it actually tastes like beer! Not, mind you, a particularly good beer or one I would reach for under any other circumstances.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

631b1c892c2b2348057a9c4f2f67d360_640x640.jpg
631b1c892c2b2348057a9c4f2f67d360_640x640.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 953 times
To celebrate day 14 of quarantine I got out an old bottle of Stone's Southern Charred (it's their Double Bastard, aged in bourbon barrels). I bought it a long time ago and a special enough occasion never seemed to come along so it ended up aging 6 years. Which clearly was way too long, as I suspected it might be. Guess the cork top leaked or breathed a little too much, it was on the flat side and all hop character was completely gone. What was left was some bourbon and delicious chewy tawny-type flavors that were overpowered by the insane alcohol level (13.2%), so it mostly just tasted way too hot. I'm sure this would have been way better about 5 years ago when it would have been more balanced.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kwix

Post by Kwix »

dead_elvis wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 16:13
Guess the cork top leaked or breathed a little too much, it was on the flat side and all hop character was completely gone.
Yeah, I don't care what Stone or anyone else says hops doesn't age. Everything else in it turns to that funky raisin aged flavor (which I dig) but hops just disappears.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Dug an old random home-brew out of the back of the closet. Last one from a few years ago. Was supposed to be an English Amber, but had sour contamination (which I noted in my notes already at bottling time). But I'll be darned if it didn't mellow out into a really, really nice sour so I drank the whole thing and enjoyed it as such.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 652 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JD

Post by JD »

I acquired a bottle of "McQueen and the Violet Fog" gin. It's interesting, very floral, very not juniper-forward, almost candy-like. For this reason it's not the best for a g&t (that calls for a cleaner, crisper gin, IMHO) but it works in a gimlet or gin and ting. Might just try it with soda and some lemon tonight.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Port is typically unvintaged, meaning grapes from different years are blended to create a common style that if you've tried port is most likely what you have tasted. On average 2-3 times a decade a single harvest will not require blending and will have enough power and balance for the big houses to make vintage bottles. Be it climate change or whatever, 2018 was just vintaged making it the 3rd consecutive vintage year. This is probably the best time in modern history to try a vintage port if you haven't ever done it and are so inclined. I get it that port is polarizing with the sugars and all.

2017s are considered by many the best vintage in 30 years, and their prices reflect it. Now that 2018s are in there along with the slightly less universally loved 2016s, you may be able to get a relative deal on one of those. Note: a regular grocery ruby or tawny port will last weeks after being opened, but a vintaged port should be considered something more similar to a bottle of red wine. Expect the flavors to be worse after 2 days in the fridge.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JasonL wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 10:27
Port is typically unvintaged, meaning grapes from different years are blended to create a common style that if you've tried port is most likely what you have tasted. On average 2-3 times a decade a single harvest will not require blending and will have enough power and balance for the big houses to make vintage bottles. Be it climate change or whatever, 2018 was just vintaged making it the 3rd consecutive vintage year. This is probably the best time in modern history to try a vintage port if you haven't ever done it and are so inclined. I get it that port is polarizing with the sugars and all.

2017s are considered by many the best vintage in 30 years, and their prices reflect it. Now that 2018s are in there along with the slightly less universally loved 2016s, you may be able to get a relative deal on one of those. Note: a regular grocery ruby or tawny port will last weeks after being opened, but a vintaged port should be considered something more similar to a bottle of red wine. Expect the flavors to be worse after 2 days in the fridge.
Only mildly relevant, if one is ever in Lisbon a trip to the Port Wine Institute (which is mostly a lounging area with a massive port wine list to sample) is a must. It's in the Bairro Alto, my favorite part of the city.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I have to get to Portugal. It's a glaring hole in my wine education and travel experiences.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 11:38
I have to get to Portugal. It's a glaring hole in my wine education and travel experiences.
And it's awesome as a place to go, especially because it's cheap.