What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23198
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Mo » 29 Aug 2018, 07:21

A glass of Yamazaki from the last bottle left in Thailand.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22741
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JasonL » 29 Aug 2018, 08:46

You in Thailand?

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23198
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Mo » 29 Aug 2018, 11:48

Yup, last minute brief business trip. If one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble, I'll find out what two nights does.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24810
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Warren » 29 Aug 2018, 21:01

Holy shit. I just hope the maid doesn't find your naked body tied up in the closet like David Carradine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6786
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Sep 2018, 20:48

Mo wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 07:21
A glass of Yamazaki from the last bottle left in Thailand.
Ho-ly shit.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6786
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Sep 2018, 20:50

Now for why I'm here.

JasonL!!! I summon you!

Xavier Vignon "100%"

$13 and probably one of the finest expressions of what a Cote du Rhone can produce without the price tag.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22741
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JasonL » 29 Sep 2018, 21:30

Pham Nuwen wrote:Now for why I'm here.

JasonL!!! I summon you!

Xavier Vignon "100%"

$13 and probably one of the finest expressions of what a Cote du Rhone can produce without the price tag.
Nice! I had a knock out Minervois I felt that way about. Similar price.

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6786
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Sep 2018, 22:38

JasonL wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 21:30
Pham Nuwen wrote:Now for why I'm here.

JasonL!!! I summon you!

Xavier Vignon "100%"

$13 and probably one of the finest expressions of what a Cote du Rhone can produce without the price tag.
Nice! I had a knock out Minervois I felt that way about. Similar price.
More info please.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10438
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JD » 01 Oct 2018, 15:55

I just got a small bottle of Standard Wormwood's rye. I tasted all three of their offerings at an event, and they're quite nice.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23198
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Mo » 20 Oct 2018, 17:20

I hope Glenfarclas continues to fly under the radar. It's superior to Glenfiddich and Macallan at 2/3s the price.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6811
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Jadagul » 22 Oct 2018, 01:29

Just got back from a Paso Robles wine tasting trip. First time going to wineries.

I had a ton of fun. My pocketbook suffered.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22741
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2018, 16:10

It's possibly my favorite domestic region. Huge fan of tablas creek and one of my favorite GSM's outside of the Rhone valley is Villa Creek's Avenger. One of the more creative winemakers in the country works on zinfandel blends at Linne Calodo.

https://tablascreek.com/
http://www.villacreek.com/wines/
https://linnecalodo.com/wines/outsider/

Saxum is amazing but too expensive. Justin is overexposed and has been on the decline for a while.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16158
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Oct 2018, 18:45

Just in time for Halloween the local Georgian-owned or similarly former CIS-citizen-owned liquor store is stocking Rogue Dead Guy. it's a fun tasty little beer and I can drink it out of its own glassware that I picked up at some pint-night thing at the Flying Saucer back in the '90s/'00s.

Image
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6811
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Jadagul » 22 Oct 2018, 19:14

JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 16:10
It's possibly my favorite domestic region. Huge fan of tablas creek and one of my favorite GSM's outside of the Rhone valley is Villa Creek's Avenger. One of the more creative winemakers in the country works on zinfandel blends at Linne Calodo.

https://tablascreek.com/
http://www.villacreek.com/wines/
https://linnecalodo.com/wines/outsider/

Saxum is amazing but too expensive. Justin is overexposed and has been on the decline for a while.
One of my friends is a huge Tablas Creek fan. (We didn't actually go there, partly because we have their wine a lot).

We started at Daou, which my partner had wanted to go to. It was beautiful and the wine was good but it was pretty overpriced. (Tasting was $40/person, against like $20 or $15 most other places). The chardonnay was probably my favorite I've had? But not $46/bottle worth of favorite. I did really like their quirky Chenin Blanc blend.

Also did Adelaida and Niner, which was great. Did a couple tastings in the city, and went to Paso Port the next day for port and liqueur.

Partner describes Justin as "A sold-out corporate bitch."

I will have to check out some of your suggestions next time I'm up there. I will also have to buy a hotel earlier than the day before. And probably avoid accidentally going during the harvest festival.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22741
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2018, 20:15

You should do tablas creek just because they are a great visit. If you are marginally interested they will just keep pouring. The are referred to locally as Ground Zero or something similar because it’s their relationship with Beaucastel in the Rhône that created and accelerated all of the local Rhône varietal stock. One of their moves on site is they have single bottling of each of the 13 varietals allowed in Chateauneuf du Pape.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6811
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Jadagul » 22 Oct 2018, 22:06

JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 20:15
You should do tablas creek just because they are a great visit. If you are marginally interested they will just keep pouring. The are referred to locally as Ground Zero or something similar because it’s their relationship with Beaucastel in the Rhône that created and accelerated all of the local Rhône varietal stock. One of their moves on site is they have single bottling of each of the 13 varietals allowed in Chateauneuf du Pape.
One thing that surprised me is that most of the places would give you a tasting of five glasses for like $20---but then if you kept asking questions about other bottles they'd throw those in as well. I think at Daou we got 8, and at Niner we got 7. (And then got the tasting fee waived after only buying one bottle).

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22741
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2018, 22:11

Yes if you know just a bit and ask just a few questions, you get treated really well. Notably, you aren’t “wooo! Bachelorette par-tay!!” Good producers fucking hate those visits and it’s a lot of their volume.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6811
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Jadagul » 23 Oct 2018, 00:46

JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 22:11
Yes if you know just a bit and ask just a few questions, you get treated really well. Notably, you aren’t “wooo! Bachelorette par-tay!!” Good producers fucking hate those visits and it’s a lot of their volume.
So many people started getting a bit into wine chemistry with me and then stopped and apologized for being too nerdy.

And I was like, come on, I'm a math professor. You're not going to get "too nerdy".

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16158
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Oct 2018, 02:59

Jadagul wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 00:46
JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 22:11
Yes if you know just a bit and ask just a few questions, you get treated really well. Notably, you aren’t “wooo! Bachelorette par-tay!!” Good producers fucking hate those visits and it’s a lot of their volume.
So many people started getting a bit into wine chemistry with me and then stopped and apologized for being too nerdy.

And I was like, come on, I'm a math professor. You're not going to get "too nerdy".
TrekNerdsShipCosplay.jpg
TrekNerdsShipCosplay.jpg (75.28 KiB) Viewed 371 times
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24810
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Warren » 23 Oct 2018, 05:57

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 02:59
Jadagul wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 00:46
JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 22:11
Yes if you know just a bit and ask just a few questions, you get treated really well. Notably, you aren’t “wooo! Bachelorette par-tay!!” Good producers fucking hate those visits and it’s a lot of their volume.
So many people started getting a bit into wine chemistry with me and then stopped and apologized for being too nerdy.

And I was like, come on, I'm a math professor. You're not going to get "too nerdy".
TrekNerdsShipCosplay.jpg
Jadagul cosplays as a person
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1546
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Kwix » 23 Oct 2018, 18:55

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 02:59
Jadagul wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 00:46
JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 22:11
Yes if you know just a bit and ask just a few questions, you get treated really well. Notably, you aren’t “wooo! Bachelorette par-tay!!” Good producers fucking hate those visits and it’s a lot of their volume.
So many people started getting a bit into wine chemistry with me and then stopped and apologized for being too nerdy.

And I was like, come on, I'm a math professor. You're not going to get "too nerdy".
TrekNerdsShipCosplay.jpg
Hah!!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6254
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Andrew » 24 Oct 2018, 11:18

Mo wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 17:20
I hope Glenfarclas continues to fly under the radar. It's superior to Glenfiddich and Macallan at 2/3s the price.
I tried it last night. I'd say it's not my thing. It might have suffered by comparison, though, since my first pour was Ardbeg 10.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10438
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JD » 24 Oct 2018, 12:43

Mo wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 17:20
I hope Glenfarclas continues to fly under the radar. It's superior to Glenfiddich and Macallan at 2/3s the price.
Oddly enough, just the other night I rediscovered a small bottle of Glenfarclas 15 year old that I'd been given. It's quite good, IMO. Macallan, I dunno, I'd have to A/B them. Never really been a Glenfiddich man, but I'll give it another try.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1546
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Kwix » 25 Oct 2018, 20:17

Andrew wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 11:18
Mo wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 17:20
I hope Glenfarclas continues to fly under the radar. It's superior to Glenfiddich and Macallan at 2/3s the price.
I tried it last night. I'd say it's not my thing. It might have suffered by comparison, though, since my first pour was Ardbeg 10.
Yeah, you do an Islay before a Speyside and the latter seems like water.

In other news, had a 22 of Rogue's Combat Wombat and I have to say I'm impressed. A sour IPA seems like 20 kinds of wrong but this one really works.

ETA: prevent double posting.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23198
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

What are you drinking?

Post by Mo » 28 Oct 2018, 18:10

Aberlour A’Bunadh. It’s aged in sherry casks and bottled at cask strength. It’s hot, but a great scotch for those that love bourbon.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests