What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Andrew » 13 Jan 2018, 22:14

Ardbeg Uigeadail. A "no age statement" scotch consisting of a blend of stuff aged in both ex-bourbon and ex-sherry barrels. Very peaty/smoky/briny, but a little sweet at the end. I like it. A heavy pour is most relaxing, which might be related to it being 54% abv.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jan 2018, 13:37

Definitely not drinking this:

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Jan 2018, 00:42

My mom got me a giant jug of Lake Country red wine for my birthday. Currently fairly drunk off 7 fl oz of it. My alcohol tolerance has been destroyed after having the twins. Ten bucks says I wake up hungover. :(
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Jan 2018, 16:17

dead_elvis wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 13:37
Definitely not drinking this:

Yeah, fuck that to hell.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Jan 2018, 09:04

Andrew wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 22:14
Ardbeg Uigeadail. A "no age statement" scotch consisting of a blend of stuff aged in both ex-bourbon and ex-sherry barrels. Very peaty/smoky/briny, but a little sweet at the end. I like it. A heavy pour is most relaxing, which might be related to it being 54% abv.
How's it compare to other ardbeg offerings? I am a fan of the peat.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Jan 2018, 10:53

dhex wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 09:04
Andrew wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 22:14
How's it compare to other ardbeg offerings? I am a fan of the peat.
I have not tried anything else by Ardbeg, so I can't say. The internet consensus seems to be that Corryvreckan is the better NAS one, although it's usually much more expensive. I'm not 100% sold on the sweet finish, so that might be one area that Corryvreckan or Ten has a strong advantage.

Comparing it to the other peaty ones I've tried, the sweet finish definitely makes it different from Laphroaig Cask Strength or Talisker Storm. Not as intensely campfire ash as the Laphroaig. Similar iodine/brine/peat flavors as the Storm.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Jan 2018, 16:10

I tried making a lazy Sneaky Pete variant with rye, a coffee liquor, and Bailey's (as I'd been enjoying combining those last two). No shaking or ice.

It tasted nice, but I suspect something peculiar happened, as I felt a bit queasy afterward. Perhaps the Bailey's curdled? If I make that again, I won't eyeball it, and I'll shake with ice.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Jan 2018, 20:42

Had a High Water Brewing "Sugaree Maple Bourbon Pecan Pie". I'm generally skeptical of beers that try to be too fancy pants, but it tastes like what it says on the tin. Pretty good actually.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jan 2018, 17:39

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 20:42
Had a High Water Brewing "Sugaree Maple Bourbon Pecan Pie". I'm generally skeptical of beers that try to be too fancy pants, but it tastes like what it says on the tin. Pretty good actually.
Sounds hideous.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Feb 2018, 00:10

Drinking some cigar city brown ale. Chocolate wrapped in espresso. It is amazing. Further, it does not set off my "coffee sucks" reflex. This is a really well done beer.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 13 Feb 2018, 16:59

Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 00:10
Drinking some cigar city brown ale. Chocolate wrapped in espresso. It is amazing.
Everything I've had by Cigar City has been top notch. I really wish we could get it here. The first, and so far best, was called Mango Grove. It was a lacto sour with tons of tropical fruit flavor pounded into it. And to thing that it comes from the not so beer culture of South Florida!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 13 Feb 2018, 17:10

A riff on a Boulevardier:

2 parts Rye (Geo Dickel in my case)
1 part Campari
1 part Red Vermouth (use something flavorful like Carpano Antica Formula or Vermouth del Professore)
1/4 part Fernet (I used the aforementioned Luxardo but at this amount Fernet Branca should be fine)

Here's where you break with tradition and shake it. Shake the living bejeeubs out it.
Strain, serve in coupe with orange twist.

It's a Boulevardier with really earthy overtones. The shaking introduces a bunch of foam which for some reason sticks around. That seems to meld everything together. The first time I tried this I was lazy and shook it. The second time I stirred and it just fell flat on the palate. Next time I make it I'll dry shake half an egg white just to keep the foam alive longer.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Feb 2018, 18:42

Kwix wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 16:59
Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 00:10
Drinking some cigar city brown ale. Chocolate wrapped in espresso. It is amazing.
Everything I've had by Cigar City has been top notch. I really wish we could get it here. The first, and so far best, was called Mango Grove. It was a lacto sour with tons of tropical fruit flavor pounded into it. And to thing that it comes from the not so beer culture of South Florida!
I just love that they call their Belgian-style wit, "Florida Cracker"
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Feb 2018, 00:10

Kwix wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 17:10

1 part Campari
1 part Red Vermouth (use something flavorful like Carpano Antica Formula or Vermouth del Professore)
1/4 part Fernet (I used the aforementioned Luxardo but at this amount Fernet Branca should be fine)

Here's where you break with tradition and shake it. Shake the living bejeeubs out it.

It's a Boulevardier with really earthy overtones. The shaking introduces a bunch of foam which for some reason sticks around. That seems to meld everything together. The first time I tried this I was lazy and shook it. The second time I stirred and it just fell flat on the palate. Next time I make it I'll dry shake half an egg white just to keep the foam alive longer.
Excuse me good sir. But there is a typo here. It says here you shook a boulevardier.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 14 Feb 2018, 14:37

Pham Nuwen wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 00:10
Kwix wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 17:10

1 part Campari

Excuse me good sir. But there is a typo here. It says here you shook a boulevardier.
Nope. I shook something akin to a boulevardier. ;) You, and the ghosts of Jerry and Harry can bite me.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Mar 2018, 14:37

Midnight Sun's Blackberry Noir.
What gawd awful dreck.
I like fruit beers. I love sours. I really love a well done dark sour like Anchorage Brewing's Anadromous or Bruery Terreux's Tart Of Darkness.

This is a kettle soured porter (light stout?) with blackberry. It's too light @ 4% to have enough residual sugars to make up for the raw blackberry tang and not enough lacto to smooth it out. It's just so out of balance. I can only drink one of what for me should be a perfect session beer.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Mar 2018, 14:42

I tried some EH Taylor small batch bourbon last night. All the EH Taylor variants are bottled in bond, so 50% abv, and at least 4 years old (no age stated on the bottle). This one is mighty smooth. Probably not worth $40-50 a bottle, but an enjoyable pour at a bar.