Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Jan 2019, 18:10

Flesh too real.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Jan 2019, 19:04

uhh that waistline

EDIT: Also his mouth is closed what
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 17 Jan 2019, 17:34

My wife accidentally deleted an important text message conversation from her phone. She called me in a panic asking me to help. I'm a pretty smart tech guy, but this is a little out of my usual sphere. BUT I FIGURED OUT HOW TO RECOVER THEM! I AM THE HERO OF THE HOUR!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jan 2019, 11:59

Also in the phone line of things, my cell phone's internal storage had been running at about 98% full for a while. I have an external SD card which was only about 25% full, but a surprising number of apps either can't/won't use it, or are really pissy about moving things there after being installed. So I deleted all of Spotify's data, deleted the app, then reinstalled it, told it to use the SD card for storage, THEN re-downloaded all my music. Boom, down to about 66% usage on internal storage.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jan 2019, 13:29

JD wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 11:59
Also in the phone line of things, my cell phone's internal storage had been running at about 98% full for a while. I have an external SD card which was only about 25% full, but a surprising number of apps either can't/won't use it, or are really pissy about moving things there after being installed. So I deleted all of Spotify's data, deleted the app, then reinstalled it, told it to use the SD card for storage, THEN re-downloaded all my music. Boom, down to about 66% usage on internal storage.
This is one of the reasons I went with an iPhone. When I had 30+ GB free on my SD and apps were chewing up so much space on my 16GB internal storage that I couldn't even install an OS update, I had to spend a long time figuring out how to clear up space without destroying data. The solution I found revolved around installing Samsung software on my PC and a lot of back and forth. There may've been something easier, but as a guy who's managed to be competent-to-fluent in OSes from Commodore, MS-DOS, VAX, Solaris, Windows 95, NT, 98, ME, 2000, XP, 7, 8, and 10, OSX, iOS, and Moto's and Samsung's flavors of Android, that that was what I could find with a bunch of googling tells me that UI design was a big part of the problem. The flexibility in allowing someone to use SD storage is great, but at least in the Galaxy S4 era, Android needed to work on making it easier to use.

The other thing was thumbprint unlock.

That said, the dedicated 'back' button in Android is vastly superior to the very context-specific and only sometimes consistent placement and behavior of 'back' features in iOS. I miss the hell out of that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Jan 2019, 14:00

Google has been trying as hard as possible to eradicate SD card storage from android. It was a stopgap solution in the first place and causes significant problems for the user experience. But because they don't control the manufacturers, and don't want to have a gigantic user revolt, they feel like they can't just turn it off. But there's a reason Google's phones don't have memory card slots.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."