Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Painboy

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by Painboy » 05 Aug 2017, 23:06

Very nice!

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Aug 2017, 12:54

I watched a comparison between a $299 clone and the original Minimoog (subject of my gearlust in the lust to acquire thread). It's an amazing reproduction, but I heard a small bug in the sound. I left a comment, the video author, who is testing a prototype, confirmed it and relayed it to the manufacturer, and they confirmed it and are working on a fix for production.

For free I improved a product I want to buy. I kinda love parts of the future.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Aug 2017, 19:37

Neat!

Has behringer improved its reputation in terms of build quality, etc?
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Aug 2017, 19:39

Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2017, 20:12

dhex wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 19:37
Neat!

They have, by what seems to be leaps and bounds. I honestly don't know what caused it, but their product releases in the last 3-5 years have been tremendously good, getting away from their "good enough for light use" reputation before then. The first product that really seems to have started the trend was the X32 Digital Mixing Console. So when we were looking for a replacement mixing board for our Mackie, they had recently released the XR18, and it's just a tremendous piece of equipment. The feature set blew away any other digital console at the time, and still is great: 16 XLR inputs, 6 assignable auxiliary buses, 4 additional internal effects buses, individual parametric channel EQ and compression, 18 channel USB simultaneous in/out. And it gets away from the things that Behringer had traditionally been poor at / cheaped out at: the physical switches. It uses other screens for the control surface: PC, iOS, and Android, and can maintain multiple connections, so we can have a main mix console and other people can use their own screen for adjusting their own mix. And all of that for $600. It's worked great for us.

And really, based on the reputation that they're getting for improving equipment, their Turbosound (another brand from Music Group) iX speakers are probably going to be what we buy next to replace our off-brand main speakers and QSC amp.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Aug 2017, 23:14

dhex wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 19:37
Neat!

I'm positive it won't be as good as the reissue Minimoog, but...what Highway said, apparently. This will be my first of his products.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 Aug 2017, 02:38

nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 08:47
I finished my first "stranded knitting" project -- that means, like Fair Isle, color work where you have a bunch of strands on the wrong side of the fabric. I've been knitting for many years but only recently started trying some new techniques and this is one I never thought I'd manage.

IMG_8609.JPG
Mrs. Kwix spins, knits and does other fiberwork. It only took you a month to do a full sweater, with new to you techniques, and you has a jerb? Holy crap, do you even sleep?

Oh, and very nice work. I did not know about alpaca and "memory" so that's something I learned today.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 Aug 2017, 02:42

I built a new computer, details not important. Used it for about 3 months, enforcing rigorous password changes on both the Admin accounts.
I then put it aside in favor of house improvements, using an old laptop and guests visiting from the lower 48 for 3 months.

Tiny Triumph, after 20 guesses I finally remembered the password to the primary Admin account. Whew! That could have been awkward.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Mo

Tiny Triumphs

Post by Mo » 01 Sep 2017, 18:07

Got pulled over in Upstate NY going about 18 miles over on the way to Canada. Part of the rush was that Mojito needed to go poop and I was trying to get to a rest stop. Officer looked at the license and registration, asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I said yeah. He asked me to clarify and I responded, "He has to go poop." He smirked and said, "Clear it up," handed me my papers back and we were on our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Sep 2017, 20:17

Mo wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 18:07
Got pulled over in Upstate NY going about 18 miles over on the way to Canada. Part of the rush was that Mojito needed to go poop and I was trying to get to a rest stop. Officer looked at the license and registration, asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I said yeah. He asked me to clarify and I responded, "He has to go poop." He smirked and said, "Clear it up," handed me my papers back and we were on our way.

On the Thruway? I'm surprised he didn't pass you.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Sep 2017, 20:44

On 87 near Plattsburgh.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Sep 2017, 21:05

Nice. 87 is where I got my only speeding ticket but that was down in Coxsackie.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2017, 16:35

Could have put this in Capitalism it Works, or Lust to Acquire.

So my computer chair is going on ten years old and I wanted to replace it. Looked on-line to get an idea what prices were. They were kind of all over the place. Knew what features I needed, so I got a feel for what I should pay from amazon reviews. But I didn't want to order online without having seen the thing up close and at least sat in it. So last Sat. the weather was awesome and we drove 40 minutes to eat at a place we like and where a musician we like happened to be playing. On the way we stopped by Office Max and I checked out the chairs. There was one that seemed to fit the bill and was within my price range "on sale" for $150. The next day I went to put it together and couldn't find the assembly instructions. I went online to see if I could download them. Couldn't find the manual, but found the chair on sale online, from Office Max no-less, for $99. So I called them up and after a bit of back and forth I purchased the chair online, where I saved 25% just because and another 5% for picking it up in-store. Turns out I probably overlooked the manual which was under the shrink-wrap on part of the chair. In the end I saved $60 (I saved so much I even purchased the extended warranty). Well worth the drive to return the first one and pick up the other.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 11 Sep 2017, 22:54

My friend lent me his high dollar timber framing chisels for a project I am doing. He was using cardboard and duct tape to protect the edges. I sewed him a set of tip protectors from full grain, vegetable tanned, cow hide.

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Sep 2017, 23:38

Nice.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Sep 2017, 00:19

pistoffnick wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 22:54
My friend lent me his high dollar timber framing chisels for a project I am doing. He was using cardboard and duct tape to protect the edges. I sewed him a set of tip protectors from full grain, vegetable tanned, cow hide.

As tio says, very nice.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Sep 2017, 07:23

Protection for the tip of one's chisel is essential.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Sep 2017, 08:11

I said nice, not very nice. Let's not get carried away.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Sep 2017, 09:52

HMPH

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 17 Sep 2017, 14:51

I'll hit my one year anniversary at work tomorrow. Given my most recent 7 years, of employment history, this is impressive for me, and I'll take it. It's hard to hold jobs with/after mental and substance abuse issues and enough of a stability (though never perfection) to make it here a year, with a glowing reputation, is probably magic.

Yeah, I was at my last job a year, but right after (thank god I hit the one year mark) I used FMLA, and the only went back for a month before quitting and that was a toxic wasteland that should never be counted of anything other than something that led to more decline.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Sep 2017, 15:03

My thumb is firmly locked in the up position!
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Sep 2017, 15:13

Three cheers for Pirate Kitty!

HIP HIP

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Sep 2017, 04:48

Huzzah!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Sep 2017, 07:34

Groovy!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Sep 2017, 07:41

It's always good to hear things are going well, Rachel. Hope it keeps improving, too.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."