Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jul 2017, 17:53

Awesome, Hugh! Paying off the last bits of a debt does feel great. (Though I daresay you posted in the wrong thread: it's more than just a tiny triumph, IMO. That's a biggun.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Jul 2017, 18:48

Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:55
My credit card debt, which had peaked above $6k, has been defeated. I owe a few thousand more on a student loan and then my obligations to all human institutions will be satisfied.
Congrats, Hugh. That should free up some funds to pay for Ridgely and my pensions.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 25 Jul 2017, 09:12

Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:55
My credit card debt, which had peaked above $6k, has been defeated. I owe a few thousand more on a student loan and then my obligations to all human institutions will be satisfied.
Curious about your obligations to alien and other non-human institutions. What sort of underhanded deals have you made, Hugh?

Congrats on shrugging those chains.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2017, 11:50

pistoffnick wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 09:12
Curious about your obligations to alien and other non-human institutions. What sort of underhanded deals have you made, Hugh?
I for one welcome our new Rubber Duckie overlords.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Jul 2017, 12:40

We replaced our dryer timer and now I have a working dryer again YAY!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

JD

Post by JD » 29 Jul 2017, 07:21

Fixed my wife's headphones just now. The speaker within one of the earcups had come loose; it still made sound but now it was rattling around in an annoying way.

I decided to try and fix it, even though I figured it was going to be one of those tough and awkward jobs, where you have to pry the thing apart with a putty knife, and you always end up breaking some little plastic piece, etc. etc. But it actually came apart really nicely once I learned the trick - the pads popped off, then there were four little exposed screws holding the cup together, and the speaker just went back snugly into its little molded holder. I even found my jeweler's screwdrivers, which I haven't used in ages, without any trouble.
(The headphones were the Panasonic RP-HTX7, in case anyone was wondering.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jul 2017, 18:00

I organized my entire collection of secondhand Star Trek: TOS and TNG novels, then, in the little leatherbound notebook I always carry with me, wrote down* all of the books I already have, so that in the future, if/when I see such books for sale cheap, I can check to see exactly which ones I already have and which ones I don't.

*Given that most of the books are numbered, this entailed the relatively quick process of simply writing in numerical order which numbers I have, not the more time-consuming process of writing out entire titles.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2017, 08:47

I finished my first "stranded knitting" project -- that means, like Fair Isle, color work where you have a bunch of strands on the wrong side of the fabric. I've been knitting for many years but only recently started trying some new techniques and this is one I never thought I'd manage.
IMG_8609.JPG
IMG_8609.JPG (3.21 MiB) Viewed 220 times

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Aug 2017, 09:17

Beautiful!
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 02 Aug 2017, 09:19

That is nice! How long did it take you?
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Aug 2017, 09:26

Outstanding work nicole! That is really great.
I'm a total craftsman kind of guy. Love hand made stuff when it's better than the mass produced stuff.
Keep it up. Try a few more "advanced techniques". Then I highly encourage you to use your skills to make unique items of your own design. Develop a style.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2017, 09:39

Thanks guys. According to my records I started working on it on July 3, but the yoke part took me about two evenings, I think. Most of the knitting time was the very boring, plain sleeves and body.

I'm definitely going to continue doing new stuff but I'm not sure about designing. There is some *shockingly* good design out there now...when I first taught myself to knit back at university the online community for it was so different. It's amazing how it's changed in 15 years. From indie ranchers to spinners to dyers and designers. I have way too many projects I want to make.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Aug 2017, 09:46

Looks good nicole.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Aug 2017, 09:56

nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 09:39
From indie ranchers to spinners to dyers and designers. I have way too many projects I want to make.
I came across some people that raised llamas and used only natural dyes (i remember them showing me a type of beetle they said was crushed up to make dye) to make alpaca yarns. I am a fan.
Have you ever worked with alpaca? That shit is the market.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Aug 2017, 10:38

That looks really nice!

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Aug 2017, 10:45

Nice!
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Aug 2017, 10:46

Holy crap, that looks fantastic! I love the design and the colors.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Aug 2017, 10:47

Good to learn a new technique and have it come out so well. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2017, 11:03

Warren wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 09:56
nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 09:39
From indie ranchers to spinners to dyers and designers. I have way too many projects I want to make.
I came across some people that raised llamas and used only natural dyes (i remember them showing me a type of beetle they said was crushed up to make dye) to make alpaca yarns. I am a fan.
Have you ever worked with alpaca? That shit is the market.
Alpaca is nice, I have a scarf I made from some 100% alpaca yarn a few years ago. It's also in the wool blend in my sister's Weasley sweater. You have to kind of limit the alpaca content in something like a sweater, though, because it has little "memory" and will stretch out of shape too easily. (This is also an issue for non-protein-based fibers.)

I'm generally very into wool but right now I'm particularly into wool/silk blends. The silk does awesome things to the depth of color. The sweater above is 65/20/15 wool/silk/yak and I'm pretty in love with that, even if I won't be able to wear it for months.

And thanks again everyone else!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Aug 2017, 11:14

Kirk, his thumbs raised high.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 Aug 2017, 12:35

I don't quite follow the technique but the result is 💯😀💦👌, as the young people say.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Aug 2017, 14:53

i have an alpaca knit had that is fantastic.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Aug 2017, 16:15

dhex wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 14:53
i have an alpaca knit had that is fantastic.
That's a very cunning had.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Aug 2017, 16:16

tfw when you get typo'd by Warren
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Aug 2017, 16:16

Looks great, nicole.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex