Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by tr0g » 06 Jul 2017, 10:57

Warren wrote:Well, you don't stack round bales. That's a HUGE feature.
Given the human tendency to build rectangular buildings I'm going to guess square bales are a better use of available indoor space because your packing fraction is higher.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 06 Jul 2017, 11:14

Warren wrote:Well, you don't stack round bales. That's a HUGE feature.
Some do:Image

It reduces exposure to the weather.

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2017, 11:24

HA! That's funny.
If you're trying to reduce rot, then turning them up on end like that is very wrong. To reduce rot from exposure balers can wrap them in plastic. It's true that some farmers will still stack round bales, but that is to reduce the size of of their hay area, which can be anywhere. Unlike square bales that must be stored in the barn.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Jul 2017, 12:36

Just when I think there's nothing left for Grylliade to nerd out, nitpick, and argue over, here come the hay bales.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2017, 12:40

Ellie wrote:Just when I think there's nothing left for Grylliade to nerd out, nitpick, and argue over, here come the hay bales.
Are you kidding? I've already blocked out all of 2018 for the Mouse Trap Wars.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Jul 2017, 12:56

Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:Just when I think there's nothing left for Grylliade to nerd out, nitpick, and argue over, here come the hay bales.
Oh, did I find the channel for you:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Myhsq9EgmR
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2017, 14:45

Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Oh, did I find the channel for you:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Myhsq9EgmR
Thank you Sandy. And I didn't get you anything.

Last edited by Warren on 06 Jul 2017, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Jul 2017, 14:45

Warren wrote:
Excellent! I finally get to share my 400 page manifesto!
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Jul 2017, 20:43

But with the round bales, you can do this:

"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Jul 2017, 21:19

I still lack an adequate number of clothing items suitable for the hottest, humidest part of Georgia summer (which, no joke, lasts roughly five months, if you go by climate conditions rather than what the calendar says), but while thrift-shopping today I DID at least find a suitable-for-professional-situations blazer from "Jones New York": fits me perfectly, in a flattering-to-me cut and shade of blue, material is a breathable lightweight silk/linen combination ... and it only cost me $4.50.

That same store also happened to have a large selection of older, excellent-condition hardcover Science Fiction Book Club offerings, so I got four Clifford Simak books I didn't already have, and Jeff got "Galactic Empire" volumes one and two (the short-story anthology edited by Brian Aldiss).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 12 Jul 2017, 10:42

Jennifer wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 21:19
I still lack an adequate number of clothing items suitable for the hottest, humidest part of Georgia summer (which, no joke, lasts roughly five months, if you go by climate conditions rather than what the calendar says), but while thrift-shopping today I DID at least find a suitable-for-professional-situations blazer from "Jones New York": fits me perfectly, in a flattering-to-me cut and shade of blue, material is a breathable lightweight silk/linen combination ... and it only cost me $4.50.

That same store also happened to have a large selection of older, excellent-condition hardcover Science Fiction Book Club offerings, so I got four Clifford Simak books I didn't already have, and Jeff got "Galactic Empire" volumes one and two (the short-story anthology edited by Brian Aldiss).
Ooooh, which Simak?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Jul 2017, 15:02

Sandy wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 10:42
Jennifer wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 21:19

Ooooh, which Simak?
The Visitors, Project Pope, Highway to Eternity and A Heritage of Stars.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 12 Jul 2017, 15:06

Jennifer wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 15:02
Sandy wrote:
Ooooh, which Simak?
It's been a while, but IIRC the first two of those are quite good, and the latter two not as good. Curious to see if you find the same.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Jul 2017, 16:18

Sandy wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 15:06
Jennifer wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 15:02
Sandy wrote:
Ooooh, which Simak?
It's been a while, but IIRC the first two of those are quite good, and the latter two not as good. Curious to see if you find the same.
I generally prefer his short stories to his novels (one of the rare instances where I prefer short fiction to long), but where his novels are concerned, they kind of start of strongly but fall apart at the end. I do like his stuff for the most part (obviously, else I'd not have bought those four books solely on the basis of who wrote them), but they haven't really aged well (over and above the sexism they often have), so I can see why today, he doesn't really occupy a place in "the pantheon" of classic sci-fi writers. Compared to someone like Bradbury, who also was sexist as hell, but Bradbury's pieces have a certain something I can't quite put my finger on, which has helped them age better than Simak's work. Maybe it's just that Simak's stuff is more whimsical/fantastical in addition to being sci-fi?

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 13 Jul 2017, 09:58

He's a pastoralist, which is very out of fashion at the moment. However, I love that his aliens are actually alien, and not just humans with forehead ridge prosthetics.

I think he's still underrated, because despite the sexism, he tackles a lot of issues with sincerity and is good at capturing existential dread without overwhelming you with it. His view of tolerance is obviously out of fashion, but his depiction of intolerance is usually spot on.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jul 2017, 10:35

I managed to turn 30 lbs of raspberries into 25 jars (500 ml) of jam yesterday. (Plus a few partial jars when there wasn't enough at the bottom of the pot to fill a jar.)

Eight hours of prep, cooking, canning and cleanup.

Now, if I can just find some damson plums this year....
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jul 2017, 11:24

At first blush I consider jam a waste of good fruit. But I feel you. It's only ripe for a short amount of time. It's better jam than compost.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jul 2017, 18:13

Sandy wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 09:58
He's a pastoralist, which is very out of fashion at the moment. However, I love that his aliens are actually alien, and not just humans with forehead ridge prosthetics.

I think he's still underrated, because despite the sexism, he tackles a lot of issues with sincerity and is good at capturing existential dread without overwhelming you with it. His view of tolerance is obviously out of fashion, but his depiction of intolerance is usually spot on.
By some odd coincidence, very little of the Simak I've read is pastoralist, so that's not the certain-something I can't put my finger on about his works. I recently (within the past couple of months) read "They Walked Like Men," the novel about the alien bowling balls who try to conquer the earth by buying up every single piece of property on it (and I remember wondering: was he trying to satirize some of the worst excesses of capitalism ... or some of the stupidest criticisms of it?). The first Simak I ever read was a collection of his "best" short stories, including the one about the robot whose body is hundreds of years out of date, which puts him in danger because in this world, robots are required to have their memories wiped and their bodies updated every century or so; "Lulu," the spaceship with a female personality who falls hopelessly, stalkerish-ly in love with the men she's supposed to carry around the galaxy (a story which I found quite funny despite its sexist views of what constitutes a "female" personality) ... nothing country-fried about those stories at all, nor in the novel about the bowling balls buying up our planet--most of that novel took place in and around a newspaper office in the city.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Jul 2017, 18:55

My credit card debt, which had peaked above $6k, has been defeated. I owe a few thousand more on a student loan and then my obligations to all human institutions will be satisfied.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jul 2017, 18:58

Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:55
My credit card debt, which had peaked above $6k, has been defeated. I owe a few thousand more on a student loan and then my obligations to all human institutions will be satisfied.
Good on you Hugh!
Carrying debt on a CC is for the birds.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 23 Jul 2017, 19:07

Hugh Akston wrote:My credit card debt, which had peaked above $6k, has been defeated. I owe a few thousand more on a student loan and then my obligations to all human institutions will be satisfied.
Nice!

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Jul 2017, 19:23

Congrats, Hugh! That's one of those steps that just feels so good to have done. Good luck to you!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Jul 2017, 19:24

Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:55
Niiiiice dude.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jul 2017, 19:55

Congrats dude.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Jul 2017, 17:18

Congrats!