Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Aresen

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by Aresen » 14 Jun 2017, 00:49

JD wrote:So the band finally got a gig, on May 26th...and we already have three more scheduled for July! People seem to like us, God knows why. Actually, one of the gigs is a bit tentative still, but I'm really hoping we can make it work, because it looks like a great opportunity. At this rate, I'll soon be making so much money I can't even spend it all on booze at the venue.
Good to hear.

Someday, I'll tell people "I knew him when he was on grylliade."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 14 Jun 2017, 02:05

Aresen wrote:
dbcooper wrote:I bought eight 500 mL bottles of decent German beer the other day at the supermarket (was going round to see my Dad to watch rugby), was only charged for two. Niiiiiiiiiiiice.
Of course, the supermarket owner was wondering about those odd bulges under your sweater.... :P
When people talk about lifting to get a six-pack, that's not actually what they mean.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Jun 2017, 02:08

:) Well played.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2017, 00:16

We just put the last load of hay up in the loft this evening - total amount 1100 bales - so haying is done for the year. :D
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Jul 2017, 00:50

How much does a bale of hay weigh?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2017, 01:12

Hugh Akston wrote:How much does a bale of hay weigh?
45 - 60 pounds.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Jul 2017, 01:48

Aresen wrote:
45 - 60 pounds.
That sounds like quite a hump. I assume you have some kind of pulley rig to aid in lofting it?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2017, 15:38

Hugh Akston wrote:
Aresen wrote:
45 - 60 pounds.
That sounds like quite a hump. I assume you have some kind of pulley rig to aid in lofting it?
We use a hay ladder to get it into the loft, but then we have to stack it up there. We went seven layers high this year.
Hay ladder:

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2017, 16:22

Square bales!
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*ring ring*
It's for you. It's the industrial revolution calling, they want their technology back.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2017, 16:36

Warren wrote:Square bales!

*ring ring*
It's for you. It's the industrial revolution calling, they want their technology back.
I want to know precisely the point you are trying to make (I think I know what it is) before I tell you why you are wrong.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2017, 16:40

Aresen wrote:
Warren wrote:Square bales!

*ring ring*
I want to know precisely the point you are trying to make (I think I know what it is) before I tell you why you are wrong.
No point. Only that I haven't seen square hay bales (decorative straw bales yes, but not hay) since the 70's.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2017, 17:03

They are the optimum size and shape for feeding horses (if you are dealing with less than 40 head) in terms of convenience, controlling quantity, minimizing waste and easy of handling by one or two people.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Jul 2017, 17:08

All the horsey type bales I've ever seen are square. Big thing is the middle of round bales is prone to mold.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2017, 17:26

JasonL wrote: Big thing is the middle of round bales is prone to mold.
The middle of a round bale? No. If the middle of yout bale molds you need to not be a farmer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2017, 17:48

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote: Big thing is the middle of round bales is prone to mold.
The middle of a round bale? No. If the middle of yout bale molds you need to not be a farmer.
JasonL is correct. Round bales can be used for cattle because their gut is less sensitive to the mold and fermentation than horses.

Once a round bale is open, moisture is absorbed into the hay and begins the process of decay, especially in the middle, which can be much warmer than the outside of the bale.

You can leave a round bale out for cattle to pick at and eat over time - they will not be bothered by the partial decay of the hay that has been exposed for several days. Horses, on the other hand, are very likely to colic if fed that way.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Jul 2017, 18:20

Warren, what do you think the optimum shape of a hay bale is?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2017, 19:17

Aresen wrote:nce a round bale is open, moisture is absorbed into the hay and begins the process of decay, especially in the middle, which can be much warmer than the outside of the bale.
Ah yes, after you open the bale. That make sense.
thoreau wrote:Warren, what do you think the optimum shape of a hay bale is?
It's not a matter of shape. It's a matter of man-hours.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2017, 19:32

Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:Warren, what do you think the optimum shape of a hay bale is?
It's not a matter of shape. It's a matter of man-hours.
Which is why dairy farms and cattle farms use the round bales. They deal in much larger quantities of feed. A 600 lb round bale is a much more efficient way to supply it and requires only one man and a tractor to get it to the livestock.

For horses, a square bale naturally breaks into about 10 to 12 'flakes' per bale (due to the way that the baler compresses the hay). A horse will generally get about 1 to 3 flakes per feeding and it is easier for the person doing the feeding to pick out the desired quantity of hay for each horse because of this tendency to form 'flakes'.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2017, 19:34

Aresen wrote:For horses, a square bale naturally breaks into about 10 to 12 'flakes' per bale (due to the way that the baler compresses the hay). A horse will generally get about 1 to 3 flakes per feeding and it is easier for the person doing the feeding to pick out the desired quantity of hay for each horse because of this tendency to form 'flakes'.
I see.
Yeah, you don't see many people keeping only one or two cows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Jul 2017, 21:58

Warren, what is it, in your opinion, that Aresen did wrong? I assume that, as an engineer, you are well-qualified to recommend technologies that will improve his process for collecting, moving, storing, and using hay to feed his horse. But so far you haven't given specifics, just mostly dropped major hints that he's doing something wrong and you know better.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2017, 22:16

thoreau wrote:Warren, what is it, in your opinion, that Aresen did wrong? I assume that, as an engineer, you are well-qualified to recommend technologies that will improve his process for collecting, moving, storing, and using hay to feed his horse. But so far you haven't given specifics, just mostly dropped major hints that he's doing something wrong and you know better.
No this is not engineering, this is knowledge gained by osmosis. My father grew up on a farm and I spend a summer on it as a tween. I live in farm country now. Just the other week, I (as an electrical engineer, or more accurately as an electronic technician) helped Mary's Uncle fix his hay baler. So I know that it takes 10x as much effort to bale hay in small square bales as large round bales.
But what Aresen said about feeding one or two horses I did not know.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Jul 2017, 02:29

I always heard it was about giving your animals a square meal.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Jul 2017, 09:31

Italian cow wit Italian bale ImageImage
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 06 Jul 2017, 09:08

Aresen wrote:We just put the last load of hay up in the loft this evening - total amount 1100 bales - so haying is done for the year. :D
I remember those days - not fondly. When I wasn't catching them from the kicker on the square baler, I usually got stuck in the hot barn stacking the bales as they came up the conveyor.

We mostly sold square bales for cash and round baled our own. Not everybody has the expensive equipment required to move 1000-3000 lb round bales. Also square bales stack more efficiently and can be stacked higher.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2017, 09:33

Well, you don't stack round bales. That's a HUGE feature.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT