Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Tiny Triumphs

Post by Ellie » 18 Apr 2013, 17:27

A thread to celebrate victories, no matter how small. Safe space!

This afternoon I had one of my rare moments where the stars align with the tides and the ley lines intersect with the full moon and I can stomach facing the concept of finances, so I checked my bank balance AND paid my electric bill!

I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by nicole » 18 Apr 2013, 17:55

Ellie wrote:This afternoon I had one of my rare moments where the stars align with the tides and the ley lines intersect with the full moon and I can stomach facing the concept of finances, so I checked my bank balance AND paid my electric bill!
I LOVE those moments. I'm hoping I have one today or tomorrow myself.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 18 Apr 2013, 18:03

Yay, Ellie!

I had a very tiny such moment myself. I won't go into all the details, but: I was afraid I had possibly screwed up my federal income tax form (just filed April 14) in connection with reporting a capital gain; however, I just got off the phone with one of the guys at Vanguard and what he told me indicated that I am OK. (Unless he was lying). So I am feeling a bit of relief.

(Apologies if the above gave any indication that I know anything at all about finance, because I definitely don't)

All I care about is that I am OK, tax-wise, for this year, anyway.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Apr 2013, 11:50

I filed and paid last years taxes this morning. Yay me. :D

Now to wait for the inevitable bill for the interest and penalties. :(
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Apr 2013, 08:43

I MADE A POOP
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Apr 2013, 08:59

I'm super happy for you!

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Apr 2013, 23:43

Today I finally got around to culling my library, taking out most of the books I haven't read for over 15 years (exceptions were made for major canon books such as Oliver Twist and for "classic" science fiction from the golden age - anything by Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Anderson and Clement).

The discards are going to the Times-Colonist Book sale, which raises funds for school literacy programs. (Of course, they will never know who gave them the John Norman Gor novels.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Apr 2013, 16:17

I finally managed to make friends with one of the neighbor's cats.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Apr 2013, 16:25

Aresen wrote:(Of course, they will never know who gave them the John Norman Gor novels.)
Unless they run DNA tests.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 May 2013, 15:48

I emailed a therapist but it turned out he's not in my insurance network so I emailed a DIFFERENT therapist.

*flops down on chaise, fans self*

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 May 2013, 13:36

I bought a little magnetic whiteboard -- the kind marketed to teenagers to keep inside their lockers -- and not ONLY stuck it to the freezer door, but wrote on it a list of EVERYTHING in said freezer! The goal is to conscientiously erase items as we remove them, and add new items as we buy them, in hope of reducing food wastage.

I was moderately disappointed the other night when we had Gorton's fish fillets for dinner -- all set to erase "fish fillets" from the whiteboard, except we only ate half the bag so there's still some left.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 25 May 2013, 00:49

Won a contest at work and am now enjoying a 12-oz dry aged NY strip doused in Red Wine demiglase...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 May 2013, 00:27

I think I have successfully rid myself of ticks from my trip.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2013, 00:30

Pham Nuwen wrote:I think I have successfully rid myself of ticks from my trip.
TMI
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 May 2013, 00:32

Warren wrote:
TMI
Hey. It was a good feeling knowing that Nebraska can just go fuck itself with it's tick issue.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 May 2013, 02:13

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Warren wrote:
TMI
Hey. It was a good feeling knowing that Nebraska can just go fuck itself with it's tick issue.
My all-time favorite bit of graffiti was spray painted in large and friendly letters on the side of a shack just north of the Red River in Oklahoma. It said:

TAKE
A BIG TICK
BACK TO
TEXAS!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 28 May 2013, 18:21

Taktix® wrote:Won a contest at work and am now enjoying a 12-oz dry aged NY strip doused in Red Wine demiglase...
Nice.

I took steps to make sure that certain mailings that still go to me in care of my dad's address come directly to me instead.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 May 2013, 19:04

I can't decide which is less tiny, but I got two scales today: a bathroom one, so I can weigh myself, and a food one, so I can measure my tea. So far I have used one and not freaked out too badly.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 May 2013, 21:19

nicole wrote:I can't decide which is less tiny, but I got two scales today: a bathroom one, so I can weigh myself, and a food one, so I can measure my tea. So far I have used one and not freaked out too badly.
Good for you! It's really shocking when you realize how much money you're spending on tea.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 Jun 2013, 21:35

Holy shit guys! I did the impossible! I successfully sold something on craigslist to someone without them being completely retarded. This is unprecedented.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jun 2013, 20:56

I have just turned a dozen roast beef leftovers that have been in my freezer for months into stew. Which will provide me with approximately 20 quick, easy and cheap meals over the summer.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Jun 2013, 16:27

Good News, Everyone! [/Farnsworth] Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, my sixth grade class was used in an educational film touring the U.S. Capitol Building. Off and on over the years, I've made halfhearted attempts at locating it. Turns out that the Library of Congress found a catalog reference and I've now tracked it down as far as Indiana University. IU apparently became the custodial library for many of the National Educational Television (pre-PBS) films made back then, so if a copy exists, it will be there.

Which, of course, doesn't mean I'll be able to see, let alone get a copy of it. It probably hasn't been digitally copied from the original 16mm print, which print must itself be pretty old and brittle by now. Then there are probable copyright complications. All that said, I have an ally now at the Margaret Chase Smith Library because Smith, the only woman in the Senate then, is also in the film.

Sooooo.... stay tuned! There may actually be professionally filmed footage of me as a dorky 6th grader (as opposed to dorky sixty-something guy). Which, if nothing else, might make a nice addition to the family archives.
Last edited by D.A. Ridgely on 03 Jun 2013, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Jun 2013, 16:28

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee I want to see little DAR! eeee! I hope it works out!

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Jun 2013, 16:30

Ellie wrote:eeeeeeeeeeeeeee I want to see little DAR! eeee! I hope it works out!
Honorary Geordie.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jun 2013, 16:31

Ellie wrote:eeeeeeeeeeeeeee I want to see little DAR! eeee! I hope it works out!
I can hardly wait to see DAR minor's crushingly funny retort to some hapless Capitol Building tour guide.