Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by JD » 15 Jun 2018, 10:17

And last night we had an hour-long interview with the ArtistFirst Radio Network (which is internet-only, I think) and they played all four songs off our upcoming EP!
http://media.artistfirst.com/ArtistFirs ... 13_86s.mp3
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 30 Jun 2018, 08:06

JD wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 10:17
And last night we had an hour-long interview with the ArtistFirst Radio Network (which is internet-only, I think) and they played all four songs off our upcoming EP!
http://media.artistfirst.com/ArtistFirs ... 13_86s.mp3
That was enjoyable. I liked it when you tried to explain intonation to a keyboard player. Punk as fuck.

Good music.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 30 Jun 2018, 08:20

Dangerman wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 12:29
Tuco wrote:
08 May 2018, 07:18
They're cute when they're little.
Some friends had a cow up here in Maine who calved fine but took to the woods and wouldn't come out even though the weather was turning. So first we had to go rope and haul this big fucking mama out the trees, then go back and rope and carry the calf overland because the ground was too rocky/snowy for the little fucker to walk on, only being a few days old. I don't know how she got them both down there in the first place. I have images of her carrying this huge calf by its scruff like a kitten.

Carrying a wet, upset calf a quarter mile uphill out of the woods in twilight makes you hope that he goes to college and becomes cow Ghandi. It's hard to kill something you had to struggle to save.
Bos Tarus are really fucking stupid. You don't get this shit with braymers or longhorns.

Got a lepe once after helping one of the neighbors, she was pretty dried up and little and the manager was going to knock her in the head so I took her in lieu of my day wages and raised her. Turned into a good cow. Really gentle. You can still ride up to her and pet her horseback. I wound up giving her to a little kid because I am a sentimental fool and the cute little shit simply asked me if she could have her.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 30 Jun 2018, 09:08

Mamas don't let your babies ask cowboys for cows. Because they'll give them one to take home.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jun 2018, 09:49

Dispatches from the ranch are a welcome addition to this network.

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2018, 19:03

Got my home phone lines reconnected internally, so we can go back to getting robocalls on our (non-ringing) answering machine. They hadn't been working since I took out the old alarm system.

It's the number of record on a few things, so we don't want to cancel it completely. Plus it's fine to have all those go to an answering machine that we can quickly delete the messages from.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jul 2018, 01:49

Ever since I moved to Atlanta and realized the summertime wardrobe I'd bought in more northerly climates is thoroughly inappropriate for the Deep South, I've been visiting thrift stores and buying lightweight linen and silk garments to replace the humidity-hoarding cotton I had before. Since I was genuinely desperate for anything I could wear outdoors without significantly increasing my risk of sunburn and heatstroke, I ended up buying a few [generally high-quality] garments I never would've bought otherwise, including shirts in colors that utterly clash with my complexion. I also bought some "Rit" clothing-dye, and tonight I FINALLY got around to using some of it. (Actually Jeff did the dyeing work, because I had to deal with a last-minute editing request from a freelance project.) I had "Royal Blue" dye, which I first applied to two garish pink shirts (one each linen and silk). The silk shirt came out a gorgeous (and flattering-to-me) shade of purple, and the linen shirt came out sort of a dark lavender (not great but not bad with my complexion, certainly better than bright garish pink).

Those two pink shirts were all I'd intended to try coloring, but since there was still plenty of dye-water left (and the water was still plenty warm), I then added two linen shirts in shades of pale yet harsh toothpaste-spit green. One of those ended up a very nice shade of light blue, the other one an ugly almost-teal (still better than toothpaste-spit green). Finally I tried a long beige linen skirt, which is now an unfortunate shade of faded-sweatpants gray.

So: three successes, one minuscule improvement and one failure. Regarding the now-teal shirt and gray skirt, I'll try dyeing them again later with the "Navy blue" Rit dye I also bought.

Bonus: I'd figured the white label-tags in the garments would all end up dyed blue too, but no: they're presumably artificial fibers which won't absorb natural-fiber dye, and all remained white. You'd never guess those shirts and skirt were ever any colors besides the ones they are now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Jul 2018, 21:27

Dyed another batch of good-except-wrong-color linen clothes, this time with navy blue dye, and the results were even better than last time. This time I did the dye job myself, except I could not find the yellow rubber icky-housework gloves so I did the dye job with my bare hands. So now, all my cuticles and under the fingernails are dark blue, and the rest of my hands have a very libertarian look ("libertarian" defined here as "one who sticks it to The Man via drinking colloidal-silver beverages until the skin turns a smurfy bluish-gray tone").

Note to self: buy more natural-fiber dye. Also new dishwashing gloves.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Jul 2018, 01:46

Caught 25.4 lbs of wild salmon, had it frozen and shipped back to my home.

(The effective all-in per pound cost was...not economical. Not *completely* ridiculous, but even Whole Foods would have a better price).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 19 Jul 2018, 06:24

Kolohe wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 01:46

(The effective all-in per pound cost was...not economical. Not *completely* ridiculous, but even Whole Foods would have a better price).
Damn, that sounds good.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jul 2018, 09:45

Kolohe wrote:

What did you value your own labor at?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Jul 2018, 20:35

Kolohe wrote:

Sockeyes or silvers? I find it endearing that hotels here tout "walk in freezer" as an amenity (oddly this one only on the TV commercials not their website).
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Jul 2018, 20:56

One sockeye, the rest (about 12) pinks.

Re:Warren, a day in a fjord in clear calm water is not work. (Though the transit from Homer spit across Kachemak Bay was pretty rough that day)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jul 2018, 21:00

Kolohe wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 20:56
...a day in a fjord in clear calm water is not work.
Granted
Kolohe wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 20:56
Though the transit from Homer spit across Kachemak Bay was pretty rough that day
My point. Plus, those fish didn't freeze, pack, and arrange transport themselves.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jul 2018, 21:26

I am a lousy fisherman, but the taste of a salmon fillet grilled over an open fire just hours after it was swimming in the ocean is one of the joys of life.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Jul 2018, 01:45

Warren wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 21:00
Plus, those fish didn't freeze, pack, and arrange transport themselves.
Well, it only took about 10 minutes of my time to arrange that. The rest was done by summer workers on the Kenai pennisula and the extended corporate empire of Fred Smith.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 21 Jul 2018, 07:52

Hiked Mount Jefferson in the New Hampshire Presidentials yesterday. JFC that kicked my ass hard. So... much... boulder climbing... Much tougher than I was led to believe ("the trailhead starts from a high elevation so the car does most of the climbing" and "sure it's steep but It's only 2.5 miles"). Trail seemed designed by a sadist, forced you to go up and down over every outcropping and false summit instead of going around with an option to go up; and no switchbacks. Great views though. Tiny triumph because I have been having some hip pain and wasn't sure if I'd be able to do any hiking at all.

My second 4,000 footer, only 46 more to go.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Jul 2018, 17:49

dead_elvis wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 07:52
Hiked Mount Jefferson in the New Hampshire Presidentials yesterday. JFC that kicked my ass hard. So... much... boulder climbing... Much tougher than I was led to believe ("the trailhead starts from a high elevation so the car does most of the climbing" and "sure it's steep but It's only 2.5 miles"). Trail seemed designed by a sadist, forced you to go up and down over every outcropping and false summit instead of going around with an option to go up; and no switchbacks. Great views though. Tiny triumph because I have been having some hip pain and wasn't sure if I'd be able to do any hiking at all.

My second 4,000 footer, only 46 more to go.
You guys measure accomplishments differently than in Colorado :D

(Although yes I realize that gets you above treeline at that latitude/geography)
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 21 Jul 2018, 20:22

lunchstealer wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:49

You guys measure accomplishments differently than in Colorado :D
Oh definitely, and I'm heavily modulating for the shape I'm in, as I haven't done this kind of thing in a couple of years. I previously spent summers hiking cascades in southern and central Oregon (Thielsen, McLoughlin, Bailey, Bend area etc.) so when I heard about the 4000 ft club I was deeply unimpressed. Until I actually started hiking some. I've been finding the trails here to be a bit rougher. Would love to try Colorado someday, I hope my body hasn't passed some point of no return that would keep me from getting back to more epic hikes.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Jul 2018, 21:15

Washington at least is considered to be fairly epic by any non-mountaineering-hike standards.

Then again, the closest I've come to bagging a 14er is summiting Mount Evans (14,265') from the parking lot at the end of the Mount Evans Scenic Byway (14,130'). And I'd put my out-of-shapeness up against yours any day. Hips are fine but my right knee has been a bit unsteady for the past six months or so, and I'm carrying an awful lot of extra me these days.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Aug 2018, 21:33

I'm still actively seeking out linen clothes to wear in extremely hot and humid Atlanta summers -- as of right now, I have a decent-sized supply of basic "long linen pants," but still a severe shortage of "long linen pants that actually look good on me." But while perusing Goodwill today I found an absolutely awesome pair -- the first linen pants that I probably would've bought even if I were not actively seeking linen in lieu of cotton -- nice looking, fits me perfectly, and the original owner never even wore them: still has the original retail sales tag, and attached tiny plastic bag containing extra buttons. The retail price was $78.99.

I paid three bucks.

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Aug 2018, 09:35

I replaced the slings on our deck furniture. The old ones were 15 years old and rotting away, and I was looking at replacing the chairs, but then found that there are people who will sew replacement slings to measure. The overall process took about a month, but installation only took a few hours, including removal of the old slings and washing the chair frames (since the fabric wasn't in the way). So now they look all nice and new, and all for a lower cost than a single new swivel sling armchair would be.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 27 Aug 2018, 16:39

I found a TV/monitor on the street that someone was throwing away, with a sign on it saying "working great!" I took it home and plugged it into my Mac, and sure enough, it does work just fine. It's about 2x the area of my old monitor, so it's quite a change. The only downside is that it doesn't quite fit nicely into my desk/shelving unit. Also, it seems to have pretty poor response time, but I don't really do any twitch gaming anyway.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF