Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2018, 01:42

Ever since last autumn's near-miss of a very serious hurricane -- when I realized I did not have nearly enough water for the full just-in-case "14 days shelter in place," though luckily it turned out not to matter since I only lost power for a few minutes, and did not lose water at all -- I've been saving and washing out Jeff's empty plastic bottles of iced tea, club soda or various juices. (Note: plastic juice, soda and tea bottles CAN be washed and re-used to store tap water for drinking in an emergency; however, bottles of milk or dairy products can NOT, because with those bottles you can never be entirely sure you washed out all traces of the milk proteins.) FEMA recommends one gallon of water per person per day; however, given how much I drink to avoid kidney stones, and also considering the high likelihood that an extended power outage would coincide with hot and sweaty weather, I upped that amount to 1.5 gallons, meaning Jeff and I together need three gallons a day, 42 gallons for two weeks. Which is a FUCKLOAD of bottles, especially since, after the water-main break during the cold snap, I took a few of the gallon jugs I already had stored away, filled them with water and put them under the bathroom sinks, in case they're needed for emergency toilet-flushing.

Anyway, last night I washed another batch of empties, and today when they dried out and I put them away I did an inventory to see how many more bottles I needed-- and finally, I'm done! Counting the bottles I washed and dried last night, I now have enough clean, empty plastic jugs to hold forty-FOUR gallons of water (not counting the several gallons under each bathroom sink, the three-day supply of bottled water I always keep with my emergency supplies, and the gallon or two chilling in the back of the fridge.)

Actually, those bottles combined hold a bit more than 44 gallons, because for simplicity's sake I count four one-liter club soda bottles as "one gallon," even though four liters is actually a few ounces more than a gallon.

Damn, Jeff drinks a lot of iced tea, club soda and fruit juice.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Apr 2018, 15:49

Back in my callow youth, we were periodically tested for, let's not say intelligence, let's just say aptitude, which in this case is entirely apt. If it were possible to get a negative score in mechanical aptitude; that is, a score strongly suggesting that my dog would be better able to fix anything, then that's the score I'd have received. I'm not good with my hands, I'm not good with spacial relationships, I never know which way the last cog will turn and my eyes glaze over reading the instructions.

So when I boast of fixing a toilet and a lawn mower, both in the same week, I consider these accomplishments in the same league as, oh, say, winning an Olympic medal. Okay, maybe only a Silver, but still.... Hooray, Me!

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 06 Apr 2018, 17:59

Jennifer wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 01:42
meaning Jeff and I together need three gallons a day, 42 gallons for two weeks. . Which is a FUCKLOAD of bottles...
I'm sure I've mentioned the WaterBOB before but in case I haven't it's a big polyethelyene bag you place in your tub, fill from your faucet and then dispense water from in case of prolonged, advance notice, emergency. E.g., a hurricane. Up to 100 gallons and includes a pump.

If the single use thing bothers you there's always 5 gallon collapsible water totes. Either solution takes up less space than 4 gallon water jugs.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Apr 2018, 17:59

House is about 20 years old, and the cheap venetian blinds we got when we moved in are done. So we got some from blinds.com, and I have to give them a lot of credit. Good mounting style, big substantial clips, and they give you 2" screws, unlike those worthless 3/4" screws you get with most blinds which barely get through the drywall and whatever joint compound they used on the window. Nice looking blinds, too, for not too expensive. Went up with no problems at all, which is rare for blinds, especially inside mount.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Apr 2018, 19:47

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 15:49
Back in my callow youth, we were periodically tested for, let's not say intelligence, let's just say aptitude, which in this case is entirely apt. If it were possible to get a negative score in mechanical aptitude; that is, a score strongly suggesting that my dog would be better able to fix anything, then that's the score I'd have received. I'm not good with my hands, I'm not good with spacial relationships, I never know which way the last cog will turn and my eyes glaze over reading the instructions.

So when I boast of fixing a toilet and a lawn mower, both in the same week, I consider these accomplishments in the same league as, oh, say, winning an Olympic medal. Okay, maybe only a Silver, but still.... Hooray, Me!
What was wrong with the lawn mower?
Hitch your tits and pucker up. It's time to peel the paint. - Bobbie Draper

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2018, 20:56

Kwix wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 17:59
Jennifer wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 01:42
meaning Jeff and I together need three gallons a day, 42 gallons for two weeks. . Which is a FUCKLOAD of bottles...
I'm sure I've mentioned the WaterBOB before but in case I haven't it's a big polyethelyene bag you place in your tub, fill from your faucet and then dispense water from in case of prolonged, advance notice, emergency. E.g., a hurricane. Up to 100 gallons and includes a pump.

If the single use thing bothers you there's always 5 gallon collapsible water totes. Either solution takes up less space than 4 gallon water jugs.
I'm familiar with such options, but they're both somewhat pricey. If we were super-pressed for space I might spend the money anyway, but those bags of bulky bottles are hanging from the wire overhead shelf in our storage closet, filling a few cubic feet of space that otherwise would've been empty anyway. And of course those bottles and jugs cost nothing, over and above what Jeff spent to buy their flavored contents anyway.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Apr 2018, 20:58

Warren wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 19:47
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 15:49

What was wrong with the lawn mower?
Nothing all that serious: the release cable had broken. In fact, removing and replacing it was easy except that I had to special order the cable. The toilet wasn't that big a deal, either. I replaced the whatever you call it that lets in water until it reaches the right level and then turns off. Thing is, as I said, I'm not handy and so I put off these things until I can't stand it any longer. Then, if I fix it, fine; if I don't, I call the repairman.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Apr 2018, 18:48

Diverter on the shower/tub blew itself out a couple weeks back, meaning that you could kind of barely get enough water to come out of the shower if you cranked everything to full, but so much water was going out through the tub spout that you run out of hot water in about 6 minutes. But we didn't want to get a plumber in because mrs lunch refuses to have workmen in unless every room they might possibly go in is spotless and that will take at least three to four hours because we are not spotless people. But it's no big because replacing modular valve assemblies is pretty easy. Still, I've been over-working during proper-hardware-store hours, so I just got around to fixing it yesterday, figuring it would take an hour or two and I could basically do it over a long-ish lunch and still get a little bit of work done in the afternoon.

Let mrs lunch know that the water will be off for an hour or so, so she should hit the restroom and top off her ice water and do anything else requiring water before I start.

Well okay, the screws holding the handles in place are cemented in place by lime deposits, but no problem I'll go dig out my cheapo impact driver. Oh crud when the Erstwhile Surly Teen left my toolbox in the trunk of his car in the hot sun last summer, it cooked the battery. Eh it was cheap quick run to the Sears to get a replacement. Booyah, screws out. Oh, handles are also cemented in place. OK, run to Lowes for a... something... oh okay it's just called a handle-puller. Works by having two arms that sit behind the handle, attached to a crossbar with a threaded piston-thing with a long probe that goes into the screw hole. Turn the threaded thingy, and pushes against the base of the screw hole and the arms pull the handle off slowly. Booyah, diverter handle removed, on to the hot water handle. WTF? The screw hole is too deep for the handle puller, so it just clamps itself on the handle, doing nothing to remove it. What can I put in there to give the puller some extra space. Ah, the smaller allen wrenches on my multi-allen-wrench-tool-thingy is long enough. HOLY CRAP 30 minutes of fucking with the goddamned thing and I can't get it to hold still long enough to successfully pull off the thing. I'm about ready to set the house on fire.

Mrs lunch really needs to use the restroom again because it's been two and a half hours. Go turn the water back on OH CRAP THE HOT WATER VALVE IS OPEN AND THE DIVERTER ISN'T IN PLACE AND WATER IS SHOOTING OUT THROUGH AN OPEN HOLE IN THE SHOWER WALL (and thus presumably draining down inside the wall, too) QUICK GET THAT VALVE CLOSED ok whew god damn it. Mrs lunch is done and I can turn the water back off and get back to work. Finally find some old tack/brads in the junk drawer that fit down in the hole far enough that the puller can get purchase without just sliding off and losing grip.

Off to the hardware store for replacements.

Usually I'm swooped down upon by an attendant who finds the exact parts I need in about 30 seconds, but no one spots me, so ... here's the aisle with plumbing supplies. Here's the wall-o-valve-parts, arranged by what manufacturer they're meant to replace, but I don't know the original manufacturer. Here's the little book thingy that has all their stock with diagrams and part numbers. Ah, they're arranged by length, and my valve assemblies are the longest batch. Go through comparing to the drawings... ah, Price-Pfister. Parts 12A 2H/C and 12A 18D for the diverter. Here they are down at the bottom of the rack... "Hey, can I help you find anything?" Perfect timing, guy. Still, he confirms my evaluation that these are indeed the correct matches, and that as long as the assembly is in good repair I shouldn't need any plumber's putty or other bullshit, as these have all the bushings, o-rings, and seals I should need in the kit.

Back home. In they go easy-peasy, turn the water back on, yay no drip from the hot water and the diverter nicely switches between tub spout and shower head. Started at 1 or 1:30, done at 5:15.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Apr 2018, 20:05

It's Miller time!*

*Just a figure of speech. I'm not accusing you of choosing the champagne of beers for your post accomplishment revelry.
Hitch your tits and pucker up. It's time to peel the paint. - Bobbie Draper

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Apr 2018, 16:57

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 18:48
Back home. In they go easy-peasy, turn the water back on, yay no drip from the hot water and the diverter nicely switches between tub spout and shower head. Started at 1 or 1:30, done at 5:15.
Eh, 4 hours, two trips out and no major mishaps. I call that a good day.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie