Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by JD » 18 Sep 2017, 16:48

That is not such a tiny triumph, either. Stability is a good thing, so big thumbs up.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2017, 20:54

I have successfully replicated Cracker Barrel's Maple Pecan Chicken.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Oct 2017, 22:12

Warren wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 20:54
I have successfully replicated Cracker Barrel's Maple Pecan Chicken.
They have dispatched assassins.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 16 Oct 2017, 17:59

Not so much a triumph as a "rescued from my laziness in the nick of time."

The weather's been getting a bit chilly in the evenings with lows in the mid-high 30s. I had been putting off harvesting the last of the garden goodies (mostly herbs and carrots). This past Saturday I finally got off my butt and with the wife's help harvested it all, rinsed, dried, sorted and put it away (some for long term drying on racks and the rest in the fridge/freezer).

This morning it was a brisk 17F, our first real hard freeze of the season. Had I not gotten motivated my sage would have been mush and my carrots would be much harder to dig out of the ground. I'm calling it a win.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Oct 2017, 18:59

We've already had three nights down into the 20s, but no teens yet.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Oct 2017, 21:30

Today, we've finally had the experience of going a whole 24-plus hours with no AC. Still a little stuffy in my apartment even with the windows open, though; it's 60-something outside, 74 in here.

Jeff and I brought in our patio furniture today -- after first cleaning it, and holy crap was it FILTHY (especially since I'd just cleaned it a week or so ago) -- because tomorrow they're supposed to pressure-wash the fronts of all the buildings.

Note to self: remember to shut the patio door and all windows before going to bed tomorrow morning/late tonight.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Oct 2017, 23:35

I may have managed to dayshift, after basically not sleeping last night due to insomnia, but still making a morning appointment. We'll see...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Nov 2017, 00:02

I successfully installed a new garbage disposal without flooding the house or needing a sink replacement, and I even wired it up without burning down the house.

I am now a man.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Nov 2017, 00:10

thoreau wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 00:02
I successfully installed a new garbage disposal without flooding the house or needing a sink replacement, and I even wired it up without burning down the house.

I am now a man.
If you were a man you'd have mentioned the hp, wire gauge, and tools used. But thank you for playing.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Dec 2017, 16:24

My wife couldn't find the iPad and suspected she hid it somewhere when we last traveled. Didn't find it yet but looking for it I *did* find not one but two hard drives hidden in different places that I had given up on ever seeing again. I always suspected they were in the attic of our last house under layers of insulation. One isn't showing signs of life, but that's the less useful one anyway.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JD

Post by JD » 21 Dec 2017, 16:28

The CPA I hired thinks that not only should we not have to pay any tax penalties, but we should actually be getting money back from NJ. FUCK YOU, NEW JERSEY DIVISION OF TAXATION!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 21 Dec 2017, 16:29

In music news, we've been circulating our music a bit more and getting some feedback. Semi-solicited reviews are hilarious...one said that our singer sounds like Willie Nelson (?!) and another one said that the drummer sounds like he knows what he's doing. Guess that's better than the other reviewer that said our drummer was "overambitious"!

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Jan 2018, 13:36

I disassembled and cleaned and reassembled our Dyson DC 65 vacuum, so now it's all clean without a lot of cat litter dust on every surface, to use on the new carpeting. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 22 Jan 2018, 13:42

I hacked a tiny, USB-powered ultrasonic humidifier so that it would work with a PID controller, so I can moderate the RH inside a curing chamber I'm building out of a small refrigerator.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jan 2018, 13:56

Jasper wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 13:42
I hacked a tiny, USB-powered ultrasonic humidifier so that it would work with a PID controller, so I can moderate the RH inside a curing chamber I'm building out of a small refrigerator.
Google translate could not translate this from geek to geezer.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 22 Jan 2018, 14:05

Aresen wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 13:56
Jasper wrote:
Oh, I speak jive meat geek. Jasper likes old, sometimes fermented, sometimes moldy meat (NTTAWWT). In order to get the right conditions to age/ferment/cure meat you need refrigeration and humidity. He has solved the humidity portion of that. PID stands for Proportional, Integral, Derivative control - it allows pretty precise control. Warren can school you about it or I can (once I reread my old Controls textbook).

I want to do something similar except for cheese. Would be interested in how your rig works, Jasper.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Jan 2018, 16:00

That actually sounds cool.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jan 2018, 16:42

That's interesting. I know of course that cheese is basically "milk gone bad," including many varieties that are essentially "milk gone bad and moldy," but I did not know there was a similarly desirable moldiness/gone-badness for meats. I'm guessing that is different from smoking or salt-curing? The point of those, as I understand it, is to prevent microbes from growing and living, not "trying to convince certain particular strains of microbe to move in and settle down." What are some examples of "moldy" meat varieties?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Jan 2018, 17:07

Dry aged meat is the common variety though that’s a low humidity affair where the goal is for the exterior to slowly spoil in a dry environment such that when you cut it away the remaining steaks take in a musky flavor.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Jan 2018, 20:06

JasonL wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 17:07
Dry aged meat is the common variety though that’s a low humidity affair where the goal is for the exterior to slowly spoil in a dry environment such that when you cut it away the remaining steaks take in a musky flavor.
The best steak I've ever had was a 45-day dry-aged ribeye at a Morton's. I probably couldn't fully appreciate its nuances, but it still utterly ruined me for steak anywhere else for about a year or so.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jan 2018, 20:31

pistoffnick wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 14:05
Aresen wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Oh, I speak jive meat geek. Jasper likes old, sometimes fermented, sometimes moldy meat (NTTAWWT). In order to get the right conditions to age/ferment/cure meat you need refrigeration and humidity. He has solved the humidity portion of that. PID stands for Proportional, Integral, Derivative control - it allows pretty precise control. Warren can school you about it or I can (once I reread my old Controls textbook).

I want to do something similar except for cheese. Would be interested in how your rig works, Jasper.
I'd be happy to compose a thousand word post on PID controls. I'm more interested in how Jasper is sensing the RH. I did humidity control once upon a time and if thermostat control isn't good enough, the hard part is measurement. The only accurate way of measuring humidity that I know of is to measure the due point by precisely controlling the temperature of a mirror and finding where it fogs over.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 23 Jan 2018, 10:31

pistoffnick wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 14:05
Aresen wrote:
Jasper wrote:

I'm just going by various guides I've seen online. These are the controllers I bought. Pretty simple plug-n-play ones.

So far, it's maintained a steady 60 degrees F and about 64% RH for 5 days just using a pint Mason jar of tap water as the humidity source. Which is fine since I'd be checking the sausages in there every couple of days to monitor moisture-loss anyway. Now that I know it works, I need to sanitize the interior, and then pick up some pork butt & fat back to experiment with.

I am also considering adding a tiny fan from my collection of old computer parts to move the air around in there whenever the little humidifier comes on. I need to see if I can splice one of those old fans onto another USB plug and not fry it. I've no idea what amps are needed for that type of fan and what the USB adapter plugs supply.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 23 Jan 2018, 11:07

Jennifer wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 16:42
That's interesting. ... What are some examples of "moldy" meat varieties?
Salami
A white covering of either mold or flour helps prevent photo-oxidation of the meat and rancidity in the fat.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 23 Jan 2018, 11:13

Jennifer wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 16:42
That's interesting. I know of course that cheese is basically "milk gone bad," including many varieties that are essentially "milk gone bad and moldy," but I did not know there was a similarly desirable moldiness/gone-badness for meats. I'm guessing that is different from smoking or salt-curing? The point of those, as I understand it, is to prevent microbes from growing and living, not "trying to convince certain particular strains of microbe to move in and settle down." What are some examples of "moldy" meat varieties?
For doing some dry-cured sausages, you actually encourage fermentation by adding dextrose and bacterial cultures to the ground meat. The bacteria feed off the dextrose (or other simple sugars) and produce lactic acid which drops the pH and makes it a hostile environment for unfriendly bacteria. It also adds that nice tangy flavor. Fermentation is done in conjunction with using the nitrite/nitrate curing salts.

The white powder you see on good salamis hanging in the deli? Mold. Perfectly fine, and often encouraged.

Salt-only cured stuff is generally large chunks of meat, like hams and beef rounds. The nitrite is what makes stuff like hams, hot dogs, and kielbasa pink.

Smoking not only adds flavor, but it also coats the outside of sausages to add another layer of protection against bad bacteria gaining hold.

Salt & smoke is typical of a lot of cured sausages, American bacon, hams, etc.

I'd be curious to dry dry aging a steak in this thing once I prove it out.

ETA - Meant to mention there's hot and cold smoking. Hot smoking is meant to get the product to a bacteria-killing temperature, usually like 160F and hold for and hour or more. Cold smoking is pretty much meant to only add flavor to a product, although the smoke coating on the exterior does help ward off bad bugs.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2018, 11:22

Jasper wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 10:31
These are the controllers I bought. Pretty simple plug-n-play ones.
I pulled down the specs for that. Very interesting. Capacitive sensors can now measure humidity to +/-3%. Which is excellent at their price point. Long term stability as well. Response time is pretty slow though, 30-60 seconds. So you'll want slow PID coefficients.