It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2013, 12:13

JasonL wrote:
Mo wrote:I've been watching Season 1 of Veep and find myself enjoying it. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is pretty great as a hybrid Joe Biden/Sarah Palin type.
I love veep. It's the right amount of cynical about politics.
Her reaction after she thinks the president has a heart attack was great.

Mrs. Mo does not enjoy it because "I hate all of the characters."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Apr 2013, 10:44

I enjoyed a few things from this week's Mad Men

Even though it didn't have Pete getting punched in the face, Trudy's wrath of God speech was surprisingly even more satisfying. Love Joan's snippy comments and Don's self-immolation to the slimy car salesmen. I did appreciate the Munich parallel with Trudy, right down to who ended up winning the war. The return to Don's youth thing combined with the affair leads me to believe this show is ending with Don committing suicide.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Apr 2013, 00:07

For those who are interested, the first season of the Adventure Brothers is streaming on Netflix now.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Apr 2013, 00:27

Ad-venture Brothers?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Apr 2013, 20:58

I feel like a lot of people whose TV tastes align with mine really like American Horror Story, but halfway through the pilot this is just the weirdest student-filmiest ham-handediest thing I've seen in years.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Apr 2013, 21:01

Wanted to like it - but no. Tries too hard. Plays a line I didn't like with the girl who has cerebral palsy. Hay seus Dylan McDermott is horrible. Wife was only redeeming thing.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Apr 2013, 21:04

Apparently the 2nd season was much better, and you can skip straight too it.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Apr 2013, 17:00

"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Apr 2013, 18:12

Easily one of the most disappointing comebacks ever. Never even sniffed the former runs genius.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 May 2013, 23:45

I'm glad Adult Swim finally got on the streaming train, because I am really enjoying the Boondocks #noshame.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 03 May 2013, 23:50

Hugh Akston wrote:I'm glad Adult Swim finally got on the streaming train, because I am really enjoying the Boondocks #noshame.
The XBox Killer episode is a work of genius on a level with the as-yet-unproduced "Snakes on Motherfucking Air Force One" (Josh Brolin, Samuel L. Jackson, Lady Gaga).

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 May 2013, 19:56

Lisa McIntire
‏@LisaMcIntire
I can only assume the Westeros Bikini Waxers Guild is described in more detail in the books.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 May 2013, 15:55

The first episode of Family Tree was rather good. Very much takes the best elements of The (British) Office and the A Mighty Spinal Best In Show and scrambles them up into a delightfully bizarre gravy-and-raisins smoothie.

Will continue watching.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 May 2013, 16:15

A Mighty Spinal Best In Show was a pretty good movie. Meandered a bit.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 May 2013, 16:31

JasonL wrote:A Mighty Spinal Best In Show was a pretty good movie. Meandered a bit.
Dragged a bit when Nigel Tufnel did that stint in community theater in Missouri, but picked up again after that.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 May 2013, 19:58

This Dr Who demi-season has been a hot mess for the most part, and the finale was no exception. (except being even more self-referential)

Pacing, guys. You used to know how that worked.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 May 2013, 12:02

I would watch the hell out of World's Dumbest Tattoos or whatever that TLC show is called, but sixteen seconds of it made me want to jump off a bridge. It's all overlaid with wacky sound effects and goofy graphics and boi-oi-oing! music. It's like what Ben Stiller does to Winona Ryder's documentary in Reality Bites, only, like, earnest. Oh, gah.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 May 2013, 12:40

Ellie wrote:I would watch the hell out of World's Dumbest Tattoos or whatever that TLC show is called, but sixteen seconds of it made me want to jump off a bridge. It's all overlaid with wacky sound effects and goofy graphics and boi-oi-oing! music. It's like what Ben Stiller does to Winona Ryder's documentary in Reality Bites, only, like, earnest. Oh, gah.
It's really repetitive. Someone shows up with a terrible tattoo, and then they put some huge shaded tattoo over top of it to cover it up. Meanwhile they have interspersed other clips with people with other bad tattoos that aren't getting them fixed.

And Romney-Face-Tattoo guy has been on it like 4 times in different clips.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 May 2013, 17:01

I'm becoming addicted to restaurant rescue shows.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 May 2013, 18:32

Kolohe wrote:This Dr Who demi-season has been a hot mess for the most part, and the finale was no exception. (except being even more self-referential)

Sigh.

Yeah. I keep liking bits and pieces, but the show has definitely gone hit-and-miss in the Matt Smith days and I don't think it's Smith's fault. It's like John Nathan Turner all over again.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 May 2013, 19:34

lunchstealer wrote:
Kolohe wrote:This Dr Who demi-season has been a hot mess for the most part, and the finale was no exception. (except being even more self-referential)

Sigh.

Yeah. I keep liking bits and pieces, but the show has definitely gone hit-and-miss in the Matt Smith days and I don't think it's Smith's fault. It's like John Nathan Turner all over again.
I get why Doctor Who is a popular show in Great Britain. People grew up watching it, it's quirky in an English sort of way and the BBC never had a Star Trek.

I don't get the appeal to American audiences. I've seen a dozen or so shows over the years, probably seen episodes with five or six Doctors, and I just don't get it. I gave it another shot and watched three episodes from the most recent series including the finale. (In which, btw, I'm assuming the reveal at the end is not a long term direction but more likely a 50th anniversary one-off.) Anyway, if anyone would like to explain how the show works even as a cult / camp show, I'd be interested.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 May 2013, 20:39

When they started Nuwho, they were slightly ahead of the curve on 'lets give an overarcing plot to an entire season' trend - and did it without HBO boobs and cursing. (nttawwt)

Tennant and Smith are both really solid actors, as are Catherine Tate and Alex Kingston.

Blink is probably the best single episode of non-animated television in the last 20 years.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 May 2013, 22:29

I'm DARist on Who. The first time I heard a darlek I almost destroyed my tv with a bat, and maybe I never got over that.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 May 2013, 00:38

To me Dr Who will always be the show that comes on after Red Dwarf and whose theme song is a signal that it's time to go to bed.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 May 2013, 00:40

I am of the "Tom Baker is the definitive Who" school. I watched the nuwho for a few years before I gave up on it. Partly over a major split with who fandom. I really hated Rose Tyler. Wost companion ever. Yeah yeah yeah, I already excommunicated myself.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL