It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by dead_elvis »

I was very excited about a new season of Dark and now it just feels like a chore. Not sure if I should worry about spoilers, but let's just say that when your otherwise good show's weakness is a large number of characters multiplied by 3 different time periods, maybe don't start season 3 by doubling that. I appreciated the plot twist but now the show feels like homework.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

dead_elvis wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 19:07 I was very excited about a new season of Dark and now it just feels like a chore. Not sure if I should worry about spoilers, but let's just say that when your otherwise good show's weakness is a large number of characters multiplied by 3 different time periods, maybe don't start season 3 by doubling that. I appreciated the plot twist but now the show feels like homework.
Yeah it got a little too convoluted there for a bit. The break between the season 2 and 3 didn't help me. It ultimately works itself out though, even if a tad heavy on the exposition.
Jake

Post by Jake »

lunchstealer wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 22:26 Once there was a van just speeding down the highway and they were like waaaat and then it crashes and theyre like waaaaaat and they see the driver terrified as shit and are like huh and they open the door and the van is like full of rattlesnakes and the guy is like i'm not samuel l jackson but they say hay maybe we can use a fire extinguisher to make the snakes all cold and then he can get out.
Please please get a job at Netflix writing episode synopses! :D
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

I enjoyed the first three episodes of Perry Mason. Warning, the first episode leads with a very graphic dead baby!

But the actors and writing are solid, and I love a period drama.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Dangerman wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 12:34 I enjoyed the first three episodes of Perry Mason. Warning, the first episode leads with a very graphic dead baby!

Me too, though I'd like to have more confidence, not unlike with Better Call Saul, that there's a Perry Mason downstream with a law degree and we don't have to wait five seasons for it. Otherwise, I'm calling BS bait and switch.

The books were grittier than the movies and television series, but they were also filled with characters, Mason included, who were pretty much blank slates, so I'm willing to go along for the ride. My guess, however, is that if it lasts it's going to end up like Gotham with the series ending scene being Mason walking into a courtroom with the all too familiar theme music playing for the first time.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 12:52
Dangerman wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 12:34 I enjoyed the first three episodes of Perry Mason. Warning, the first episode leads with a very graphic dead baby!

Me too, though I'd like to have more confidence, not unlike with Better Call Saul, that there's a Perry Mason downstream with a law degree and we don't have to wait five seasons for it. Otherwise, I'm calling BS bait and switch.

The books were grittier than the movies and television series, but they were also filled with characters, Mason included, who were pretty much blank slates, so I'm willing to go along for the ride. My guess, however, is that if it lasts it's going to end up like Gotham with the series ending scene being Mason walking into a courtroom with the all too familiar theme music playing for the first time.
But the shocking courtroom twist is that it will be the Alfred Hitchcock Presents theme music.

mostly because I can't remember the Perry Mason music because the Hitchcock music is what first came to mind and now it won't leave.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 13:32
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 12:52

But the shocking courtroom twist is that it will be the Alfred Hitchcock Presents theme music.

mostly because I can't remember the Perry Mason music because the Hitchcock music is what first came to mind and now it won't leave.
It could be worse. You could have the theme of Gilligan's Island looping in your head.

[snickers, sneaks away]
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Augh! Augh! Why???????

Thank you for the warning!
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
Jake

Post by Jake »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 12:52 Me too, though I'd like to have more confidence, not unlike with Better Call Saul, that there's a Perry Mason downstream with a law degree and we don't have to wait five seasons for it. Otherwise, I'm calling BS bait and switch.
I think it's specifically supposed to be pre-law school Mason. As I understand it, it's not a remake of the Burr series; it's a prequel.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ellie wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 16:55
Augh! Augh! Why???????

Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart. As I recall, the baby is only shown in the Angel's Flight funicular and in the morgue, but there's some pretty graphic gore elsewhere, as well. (No more babies, though. Well, so far.) Also, most reviewers picked up on the scene where Mason is inspecting the baby in the morgue because of the amount of information Rhys manages to convey there in his expression, so I can't in good conscience say just look away in that scene but, well, you know, you might just want to look away in those scenes.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 17:17
Ellie wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 16:55
Augh! Augh! Why???????

Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart. As I recall, the baby is only shown in the Angel's Flight funicular and in the morgue, but there's some pretty graphic gore elsewhere, as well. (No more babies, though. Well, so far.) Also, most reviewers picked up on the scene where Mason is inspecting the baby in the morgue because of the amount of information Rhys manages to convey there in his expression, so I can't in good conscience say just look away in that scene but, well, you know, you might just want to look away in those scenes.
Yeah, what he said.
Jake

Post by Jake »

I haven't done much TV-watching for a number of years, so I thought I'd find out what all the fuss was about as regards various shows I heard about but never saw.

I've come to the conclusion that "The Office", "Parks and Recreation", and all of the other "it's like a documentary, but with actors doing improv!" shows are cups of tea that aren't mine. I had incorrectly assumed that "Community" was one of those shows, and it's not. I like "Community". It makes me laugh in the not just exhale-slightly-harder-than-normal way, but in the actual, audible "what are you laughing at in there?" way. In other words, it's my kind of stupid. :)
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Jake wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 23:12 I haven't done much TV-watching for a number of years, so I thought I'd find out what all the fuss was about as regards various shows I heard about but never saw.

I've come to the conclusion that "The Office", "Parks and Recreation", and all of the other "it's like a documentary, but with actors doing improv!" shows are cups of tea that aren't mine. I had incorrectly assumed that "Community" was one of those shows, and it's not. I like "Community". It makes me laugh in the not just exhale-slightly-harder-than-normal way, but in the actual, audible "what are you laughing at in there?" way. In other words, it's my kind of stupid. :)
How much of Parks and Rec did you watch? The first season should be skipped.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Painboy wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 23:38
Jake wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 23:12 I haven't done much TV-watching for a number of years, so I thought I'd find out what all the fuss was about as regards various shows I heard about but never saw.

How much of Parks and Rec did you watch? The first season should be skipped.
I recently started watching P&R after avoiding it for years. I think it's entertaining enough, but not actually funny. I don't lol at it ever.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Wife just wrapped a Community binge a thon. I got tired of it but thought it was funny in parts. Late seasons were strained as is always the case. I thought Parks and Rec was really strong after the first season and I expected to hate it as I'm not an Office guy.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 13:29 Wife just wrapped a Community binge a thon. I got tired of it but thought it was funny in parts. Late seasons were strained as is always the case. I thought Parks and Rec was really strong after the first season and I expected to hate it as I'm not an Office guy.
Parks and Rec definitely more watchable than The Office. I think I'm too geezer for Community.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 14:44
JasonL wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 13:29 Wife just wrapped a Community binge a thon. I got tired of it but thought it was funny in parts. Late seasons were strained as is always the case. I thought Parks and Rec was really strong after the first season and I expected to hate it as I'm not an Office guy.
Parks and Rec definitely more watchable than The Office. I think I'm too geezer for Community.
I generally didn't and still don't like sitcoms of that sort and those years. 30 Rock is something of an exception. You'd have to mark every episode of Community to warn me if Chevy Chase was in it so I could skip those episodes before giving it a try.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I skipped Community in its over the air run cause it looked like a typically stupid setup for a typically stupid sitcom. But a couple years ago after watching Rick and Morty and noticing that this Harmon fellow seems to have quite a following I decided to give it another chance, and I'm glad I did.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 15:52
I generally didn't and still don't like sitcoms of that sort and those years. 30 Rock is something of an exception. You'd have to mark every episode of Community to warn me if Chevy Chase was in it so I could skip those episodes before giving it a try.
But he's the only member of the cast old enough to remember dial phones. His are the only episodes I might want to watch.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 16:28
But he's the only member of the cast old enough to remember dial phones. His are the only episodes I might want to watch.
And therein lies yet another reason in the long litany of why we won't be inviting each other over for some TV binge watching.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Painboy wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 23:38How much of Parks and Rec did you watch? The first season should be skipped.
I didn't make it all the way through the first season. Is the beginning of the second season the right starting point, then?
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Jake wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 18:23
Painboy wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 23:38How much of Parks and Rec did you watch? The first season should be skipped.
I didn't make it all the way through the first season. Is the beginning of the second season the right starting point, then?
Yes. The tone is completely different. The first season was basically a retread of The Office. From the second season on it's much more fun and goofy.
Jake

Post by Jake »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 15:52I generally didn't and still don't like sitcoms of that sort and those years. 30 Rock is something of an exception. You'd have to mark every episode of Community to warn me if Chevy Chase was in it so I could skip those episodes before giving it a try.
I think I'd have to mark all the episodes. But he's not playing Chevy Chase; he's playing an old, out-of-touch, self-centered racist who... oh, hang on.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 16:28
Joel McHale is older than I am. I remember when VCRs were the new hot thing, and people still thought that BetaScan was gonna be the one because of the better picture quality, and ours had a remote - with a cord. I was excited when we got a new TV with push-buttons to change channels instead of knobs.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake