It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Andrew »

I haven't seen last night's episode of Rick and Morty yet, but 3/4 of the episodes of this half of the season were weak. The Vat of Acid episode was great, though.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I kinda liked the dragonsluts
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 14:18
I kinda liked the dragonsluts
That was in the first half of this season. Death Crystals, Dragon Sluts, and Rattlesnake Time Travel were all good ones.

dhex

Post by dhex »

heist movie parody inception was very enjoyable.

"rick is an emotionally cruel toddler" kind of sums up the series theme tho
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

dhex wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 17:36

Different strokes, etc. I couldn't stand either the heist inception episode or the story train episode.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I liked the season finale of Rick and Morty, when they revisted the Beth's clone issue and a couple other threads from previous seasons, but for the most part I agree this season has been the weakest yet.

What We Do in the Shadows (reality show about Staten Island vampires) has been great, though. Lots of things that appeared to be one-time jokes from previous episodes coming back to be of major importance, fairly consistent character development ... given what a very black comedy this is, I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually goes the Jim Henson's Dinosaurs route and ends the series by killing most or all of the characters.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

On Amazon Prime, The Vast of the Night is a shoestring indie movie shot supposedly with a budget of $700,000 ("plus post, and some marketing"). It's certainly not a great movie and, as one reviewer put it, it's something of a radio drama turned into a film, but the directing is strong for a debut effort and the cinematography is extraordinary for a low-budget movie, even for one with more like a $7 million budget. (Yes, Robert Rodriguez made El Mariachi in 1992 for $7k, but the two aren't comparable technically.) Cinematography aside, it's a period piece requiring 1950s cars, clothing and set dressings, and those things don't come cheap, either. I mean, I'm sure the guy got plenty of in-kind support and probably paid his extras next to nothing and everyone else minimum scale (it's a SAG-AFTRA production).

It's in pretty much every respect an amazingly credible piece of film making so, no, I'm not going to say you're going to be wowed by the movie per se compared to other, more expensive films, but if you approach watching it as a study in what can be done on a next-to-nothing budget these days, it's definitely worth the view.

JD

Post by JD »

Andrew wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 20:07
dhex wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 17:36

Different strokes, etc. I couldn't stand either the heist inception episode or the story train episode.
I liked the story train episode partly because it poked fun at Snowpiercer ("oh look, it's a literal plot engine") and for being so meta, but ultimately I don't know if it was a great episode; it was almost too manic for that. Vat of Acid was pretty damn good. Promortyus was eh, Childrick of Mort had some really funny moments but also seemed like the writers trying to cram as much as possible into every single second.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

It was enjoyable enough. I think I actually like this season overall better than Season 3, but not as much as 1 and 2. I get where they were going with Season 3 but the only episode I really liked was the Mad Max episode.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Did anyone watch the TV show Brimstone that had John Glover as the devil?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dbcooper wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 21:05
Not sure I've seen all of them, but I've seen it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Hugh Akston wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 23:02
dbcooper wrote:
Worth watching?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dbcooper wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 10:15
Hugh Akston wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 23:02
dbcooper wrote:
Worth watching?
It's been a long time. I remember liking Glover in it, but he only shows up at the beginning and end of the episode. That said, it's only 13 episodes, so it's not like a huge waste of time either way.

One thing I will say is that the show was much better suited to a first run syndication model like Renegade or Highlander than it was to a prime time weeknight slot.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

"Bless the Harts" (a Fox Sunday-night animated show which I think debuted last season) has really been growing on me. I still have a series recording set on the DVR and they started airing reruns about a month ago (including some I managed to miss the first time around). Not like the typical Fox animation surreal/black comedy; this has more of a "realistic," King of the Hill-type of vibe (though obviously with a few cartoony and possibly surreal elements -- I'm still not sure if the whole "Jesus comes to life" thing is just the Jenny-character's imagination, or if it actually happens).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Trying to watch season 41 (Westerly, RI house) but it's making me RAGE. They bought a classic 40s ranch house -- a big-ass one, too, 2200 sq ft! -- and then they're gutting it and putting on a whole second story with a gambrel roof. JUST BUY A DUTCH COLONIAL IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU FUCKING FUCKS

I don't even want to know what they're going to do to the bathrooms with the original colored tile and toilet/tub to match. Fucking monsters.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
Yesterday, 12:09
Trying to watch season 41
Season 41? Which show?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

TV-related random observation: TV and reruns have been around long enough that our language ought to have a single word to describe a specific form of TV-show memory: "I know I've seen that show back in the day, I know its theme song and what at least ONE main character looked like ... but otherwise I have absolutely no memory of the show, not a single storyline or joke, nor even the overall premise of the show."

When I mentioned this to Jeff, he suggested we also have another word to describe a second memory category: you remember the theme song, at least one character, the overall premise AND a couple of isolated jokes or scenes ... but little else, and no full episode plots.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote:
Yesterday, 18:48
TV-related random observation: TV and reruns have been around long enough that our language ought to have a single word to describe a specific form of TV-show memory: "I know I've seen that show back in the day, I know its theme song and what at least ONE main character looked like ... but otherwise I have absolutely no memory of the show, not a single storyline or joke, nor even the overall premise of the show."
Osmosis? :)

(But, then I'm reminded of how much Harry Potter lore I've picked up while never having read any of the books or seen any of the movies beyond the first.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Warren wrote:
Yesterday, 17:56
Ellie wrote:
Season 41? Which show?
Whoops! This Old House.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote:
Yesterday, 20:27
Warren wrote:
Yesterday, 17:56
Ellie wrote:
Season 41? Which show?
Whoops! This Old House.
I didn't know that was still going. Neat!
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Jennifer wrote:
When I mentioned this to Jeff, he suggested we also have another word to describe a second memory category: you remember the theme song, at least one character, the overall premise AND a couple of isolated jokes or scenes ... but little else, and no full episode plots.
This is where CHiPs exists for me. I watched it a lot as a kid, but this is pretty much the entirety of what I actually remember beyond the opening sequence/theme song:
- Chasing a big van which catches air at one point
- Old lady brings cookies for the cops
- Attractive young woman needs help because her toe has somehow become caught in the faucet of her tub during a bubble bath. Sexy saxophone music plays.
- Low angle camera catches car in chase making a turn and losing a hubcap in almost every episode.

That's, like... it. From the whole series.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jake wrote:
Yesterday, 22:02
Jennifer wrote:
This is where CHiPs exists for me. I watched it a lot as a kid, but this is pretty much the entirety of what I actually remember beyond the opening sequence/theme song:
- Chasing a big van which catches air at one point
- Old lady brings cookies for the cops
- Attractive young woman needs help because her toe has somehow become caught in the faucet of her tub during a bubble bath. Sexy saxophone music plays.
- Low angle camera catches car in chase making a turn and losing a hubcap in almost every episode.

That's, like... it. From the whole series.
Once there was a van just speeding down the highway and they were like waaaat and then it crashes and theyre like waaaaaat and they see the driver terrified as shit and are like huh and they open the door and the van is like full of rattlesnakes and the guy is like i'm not samuel l jackson but they say hay maybe we can use a fire extinguisher to make the snakes all cold and then he can get out.

Also yes hubcaps.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

For me, what inspired this particular "we need a term for that" is, Jeff and I were watching old 1970s episodes of the Match Game, and at one point the host reminded everybody to watch Chico and the Man, featuring our lovely guest Della Reese -- and that's when I realized: I KNOW I have watched that show, I can hum the theme song, and I know what Chico looked like. Based on the name, I am guessing there was also an older white guy who played "the man," but I've no idea what Della Reese did, or even the show's basic premise -- was Chico "the man's" neighbor? Employee? Inter-racial adopted son? Hellafino.

Jeff's memory of the show falls into category two: he knows what I do, plus he can recall a couple isolated scenes or jokes, but that's all.
Eric the .5b wrote:
Yesterday, 19:04
Jennifer wrote:
Osmosis? :)
No, "osmosis" is how I know (or used to know) the names of all six "Friends" plus the actors who played them, PLUS the theme song, despite never having watched a single episode of that show.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jake wrote:
Yesterday, 22:02
Jennifer wrote:
This is where CHiPs exists for me.
Assuming you want to think fondly of the show (or of your own taste in TV, as a kid), I suggest you leave it there. A few years ago I watched an episode for the nostalgia/curiosity value -- a double-episode roller-disco-themed "spectacular" from 1979, with special celebrity guests including Vic Tayback and a pre-addiction Leif Garrett -- and found the incident mildly traumatizing. By which I mean "baffling and boring."