It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by dbcooper »

Tales from the Loop is boooooooooring.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dbcooper wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 08:47
Tales from the Loop is boooooooooring.
It really is. I've watched soap operas where the plot moved along faster.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I liked the retrofuture business going on in the background though
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

This is disappointing to hear. I've liked Stalag-mumble-mumble's work for a number of years now, since Stevo tweeted or 'booked him.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Been watching High Maintenance on HBO. Very entertaining. But wow, just when I thought New York couldn't get any more solipsistic, there it is.

First episode of season 2, at the time I would have roundly mocked for being overdramatic about being traumatized by Trump's election. In hindsight completely justified and maybe even not enough.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I need to catch up on all the shows I meant to watch.

I did binge the entirety of a show, recently. Admittedly that was an obscure 1987 BBC SF police procedural called Star Cops, which only ran for a season thanks to strikes and whatnot. I came across a few episodes as a kid on PBS and was curious how it stood up. (The whole 9 episode run has been uploaded to YouTube.)

It's...surprisingly good. The writing is tight and cynical as fuck, there's snark and friction between every character, and there are heroic attempts to present a plausible, near-future hard SF space setting. (Including trying to present people in microgravity on an 80's BBC budget). It had to have been expensive as Hell by standards of the time.

The setup is that in the 2030s, a stubborn British Chief Inspector who annoys his superiors gets kicked upstairs. Upstairs to taking command of an international police force that handles law enforcement for the few thousand people living and working in space stations, moon-bases, etc. off Earth. It's a tiny, zero-prestige operation of part-timers generally mocked as the "Star Cops". He takes over and turns into a full-time operation of...well, we once see two guys in the background of the tiny main police office who aren't main cast. He deals with office politics all the way up to Cold War politics (because 1987), and he and his tiny crew solve future crimes when not hassling each other.

It's not all great. The showrunners really do try to present a thought-out, multi-cultural future, but, again, 1987. A "typical, older, chauvinistic cop" sort who doesn't think women should be cops seems kinda weird because, well, he's a Millennial. There's retro-cringey treatment of Japanese culture in a couple of episodes. There's even worse treatment of people from an unnamed country who are simply described as "Arabs" in one episode. And I had to give a Someone Call the Space ACLU Scowl to some perp-sweating in one, especially when an outraged observer goes all, "Oh, alright..." when the commander reveals the alleged perps are drug smugglers. 1987...

But otherwise, pretty neat, and I would have liked to have seen more.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Bosch, Season 6 just dropped on Amazon Prime.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 20:01
Bosch, Season 6 just dropped on Amazon Prime.
Nice.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

One episode into Mrs. America
Nom nom nom Mmmmmm That's good histortainment.

ETA
Two episodes in, and I'm all in. Best thing since Mad Men. And picks right up where MM left off. Moves from Advertising to Politics, but that's really not very far. Takes some of the cast and writeres as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 22:19

ETA
Two episodes in, and I'm all in. Best thing since Mad Men. And picks right up where MM left off. Moves from Advertising to Politics, but that's really not very far. Takes some of the cast and writeres as well.
I liked the first episode, and will watch more.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Can't get into Witcher, but I'm watching it anyway with my son. Aside from my general disdain for both medieval settings and fantasy, it also seems like the show wants me to follow way too many subplots without giving me a handy scorecard to keep track.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 00:38
Can't get into Witcher, but I'm watching it anyway with my son. Aside from my general disdain for both medieval settings and fantasy, it also seems like the show wants me to follow way too many subplots without giving me a handy scorecard to keep track.
It's not so much sub plots as it is converging plot lines over different time periods. I assume by what you said you're not familiar with either the books or video games. If you end up watching it through, willing or not, I'd be curious what you make of it not having any prior knowledge.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 22:49
Warren wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 22:19

ETA
I liked the first episode, and will watch more.
The cast is really impressive. A whole gaggle of A-list heavy hitters. What's more, each of the historical figures is a passable likeness.

From what I've seen so far, all the documented history is faithfully observed. The rest, and bulk, of the show is the creation of the writers and performers. So we have Phyllis taking on the ERA as a means of achieving political relevance and empowerment. I believe that's legitimate irony.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Really enjoyed Dark, can't wait for the next season. Took a while to get into, at first I thought it gave away too much right away; it took until the latter part of the first season for any intrigue to set in because the 'what' is given away right up front but thankfully the 'how' turns out to be interesting enough.

I'm part way through season one of Casa de Papel/Money Heist. This has been frustrating and not as good as I'd been told. A touchdown pass is more thrilling when it's a perfect throw under pressure to a perfectly covered receiver, less interesting when it was just blown coverage. This show is like 33% the former, 66% the latter. And I find myself not caring about most of the characters (partly because they often make obviously terrible decisions), but am forced to sit through endless flashbacks about them. I don't know how this gets stretched beyond a first season, but I do think this could have made a fantastic 2 hour thriller instead of god know how many episodes. I know people think well fleshed out characters make a good show, but sometimes what's called for is a thrilling plot and instead of showing endless flashbacks just show the clues that hint at full complex backstories the viewer can suss out for themselves. But I have to finish because the 33% that is a good battle of wits has me hooked.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

This season of Rick and Morty has been disappointing so far. I wish they'd go back to some of the loose threads from previous seasons: Evil Morty running the council of Ricks, the galactic government reviving Phoenix Person, etc.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
05 May 2020, 00:47
This season of Rick and Morty has been disappointing so far. I wish they'd go back to some of the loose threads from previous seasons: Evil Morty running the council of Ricks, the galactic government reviving Phoenix Person, etc.
I thought last night's episode was very good.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Absorbing the full six episodes of Netflix's Cheer, is a satisfying investment of attention.
I laughed, I gasped, I cried. As soul crushing as it is inspiring.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Petty annoyance - NYPD Blue was on Amazon Prime until about a week ago, and we had gotten thru the first dozen or so episodes before they pulled it and moved it to Hulu (which we don’t have). I at least wanted to get thru the entire Caruso run of the show, as I had never seen those. (I picked up watching the show when I was stashed at my parents house for a couple of months between Navy schools, which was in late 95 after he had left)

It definitely is a time capsule, trying to be ‘prestige’ TV just before that was a thing, doing some stuff that worked and has become standard (to the point of cliche) and other stuff that absolutely did not (but they seemed to have deliberately and wisely dropped after the first few episodes). Example of the latter was super extreme shakecam use, which may have been ok in the era where a ‘big’ TV was 27 inches, but does not when a Standard Definition picture is blown up to current flat screen sizes.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote:
08 May 2020, 16:14
Example of the latter was super extreme shakecam use, which may have been ok in the era where a ‘big’ TV was 27 inches, but does not when a Standard Definition picture is blown up to current flat screen sizes.
Tell that to every one of the Bourne movies' cinematographers.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Kolohe wrote:
08 May 2020, 16:14
Petty annoyance - NYPD Blue was on Amazon Prime until about a week ago, and we had gotten thru the first dozen or so episodes before they pulled it and moved it to Hulu (which we don’t have). I at least wanted to get thru the entire Caruso run of the show, as I had never seen those. (I picked up watching the show when I was stashed at my parents house for a couple of months between Navy schools, which was in late 95 after he had left)

It definitely is a time capsule, trying to be ‘prestige’ TV just before that was a thing, doing some stuff that worked and has become standard (to the point of cliche) and other stuff that absolutely did not (but they seemed to have deliberately and wisely dropped after the first few episodes). Example of the latter was super extreme shakecam use, which may have been ok in the era where a ‘big’ TV was 27 inches, but does not when a Standard Definition picture is blown up to current flat screen sizes.
The shake cam to convey action is bad, but NYPD Blue did the drift cam in dramatic scenes which made me want to murder the director. That was terrible.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
10 May 2020, 10:05
The shake cam to convey action is bad, but NYPD Blue did the drift cam in dramatic scenes which made me want to murder the director. That was terrible.
I don't know what that is, and unless it has to do with cars skidding around, neither does Google.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

‘Drift cam in dramatic scenes’ may be a better way of expressing what I observed in the first couple of episodes (& esp 1st couple of minutes of the pilot)

ETA the ‘drift cam’ is what I taking as the single camera making a sweeping motion between two or more characters as they take turns talking - as opposed to a camera cut which is more the cinematographic norm (as I see it)

Eta2 - or is it that weird slo mo motion blur thing like when Amy Brennan has a showdown with those mob guys in the pilot(?) (second episode?)
Last edited by Kolohe on 10 May 2020, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Warren wrote:
10 May 2020, 10:09
JasonL wrote:
I don't know what that is, and unless it has to do with cars skidding around, neither does Google.
Compare a Bourne movie to NYPD Blue. In Bourne, the fight scene starts and the camera uses jump cuts and shaking camera to convey the sense that the viewer is in the middle of a chaotic environment (and also to take pressure off of physical performances that may have to last very long if you get to watch the whole thing).

In NYPD Blue, a cop is drinking coffee talking about a case and the camera just kind of lazily drifts around. It's maddening.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

JasonL wrote:
10 May 2020, 10:31
Warren wrote:
10 May 2020, 10:09
JasonL wrote:
Compare a Bourne movie to NYPD Blue. In Bourne, the fight scene starts and the camera uses jump cuts and shaking camera to convey the sense that the viewer is in the middle of a chaotic environment (and also to take pressure off of physical performances that may have to last very long if you get to watch the whole thing).

In NYPD Blue, a cop is drinking coffee talking about a case and the camera just kind of lazily drifts around. It's maddening.
Ah ok, that too, and I think I was lumping that into ‘shakycam’ perhaps incorrectly. But you’re right, that was definitely an early tic that they settled down on after the first half dozen or so episodes.