It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jasper

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Jasper »

Warren wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 11:12
nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 09:32
Warren wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 18:52
7 of 9 was an amazing fictional character with one of the best back stories and character arcs in all of science fiction. Jeri Ryan portrayed her with grace and style and just the right amount of uncanny, all while tight laced in a corset, high heals, and vacuum packed in her "space suit".
This is accurate right up until the last couple of episodes of VOY, which take an absurd and offensive turn with respect to character development.
Amendment accepted.
I've never seen any VOY episodes except for a few of the 1st season. What happens? 7/9 decides she wants to make Chakotay sandwiches all the time?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

Jasper wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 14:15
Warren wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 11:12
nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 09:32
Warren wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 18:52
7 of 9 was an amazing fictional character with one of the best back stories and character arcs in all of science fiction. Jeri Ryan portrayed her with grace and style and just the right amount of uncanny, all while tight laced in a corset, high heals, and vacuum packed in her "space suit".
This is accurate right up until the last couple of episodes of VOY, which take an absurd and offensive turn with respect to character development.
Amendment accepted.
I've never seen any VOY episodes except for a few of the 1st season. What happens? 7/9 decides she wants to make Chakotay sandwiches all the time?
uhhh....yes, that's exactly what happens.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Oh c'mon... for a franchise as well known for its liberal-progressive slant as well as its silicone forehead alien of the week, that would've been completely awful, and also funny.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

You guys know there's a Star Trek thread right?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole »

Sounds like someone loves Chakotay

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

lmao... I just checked Wiki... they did get it on!

nicole

Post by nicole »

Jasper wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 15:09
I wasn't kidding! I was 100% serious, you nailed exactly what happens.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

FWIW Chakotay and Seven would have made a lot more sense if they had developed it from the beginning. Chakotay experienced Seven's memories as a crucial part of the plan in Scorpion, and that could have been a source of much-needed connection for both of them. They would make way more sense than Seven/Dr. Harry's bumbling advances are also indispensable.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 15:14
Jasper wrote:
I read you as totally sarcastic! I honestly had no idea it ended like that. Holy shit.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Jasper wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 15:24
nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 15:14
Jasper wrote:
I read you as totally sarcastic! I honestly had no idea it ended like that. Holy shit.
And it's pretty much out of nowhere in literally the last two or three episodes.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 15:21
FWIW Chakotay and Seven would have made a lot more sense if they had developed it from the beginning. Chakotay experienced Seven's memories as a crucial part of the plan in Scorpion, and that could have been a source of much-needed connection for both of them. They would make way more sense than Seven/Dr. Harry's bumbling advances are also indispensable.
I'm going to pretend you never said that about Seven and the Doctor.

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 16:03
Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 15:21
I'm going to pretend you never said that about Seven and the Doctor.
Alright. I will if you will *holsters phaser*
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Seven and the Doctor make sense as friends exploring the experience of individuality from the outside in. But romantically the Doc is pretty creepy toward Seven, and fails to take a hint when he gets Friend Neutral Zoned.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It’s trek. The neutral zone is violated every 10 minutes.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 16:23
It’s trek. The neutral zone is violated every 10 minutes.
Chicken Dinner.jpg
Chicken Dinner.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm not sure that seeing some of another person's memories would make you romantically inclined toward them. I could see it making you more sympathetic towards them or even causing some confusion of identity (as getting a lump of autobiographical experiences blopped in your own memory would feel more like that happened to me than anything else).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Andrew wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 09:20
I've been watching The Prisoner and I've been pleasantly surprised with how well some of the later episodes have held up. It's been a decade since I first saw them, and I remembered the later ones being much weaker. Using the 6 of 1 viewing order (which has been good overall but "The General" should definitely precede "A,B, and C"), I'm down to 5 episodes remaining, and the only one that felt disjointed and somewhat slapped together was "It's Your Funeral." That one had the feel of being shot more on a soundstage than on location, some of the segments felt padded, and 6 didn't really interact with random villagers much.

I suspect "Do Not Forsake Me," "Girl Who was Death," and "Living in Harmony" will be a weak trio based on how I remember them, but then it's "Once Upon a Time" and "Fall Out." Three lesser episodes towards the end of a very strong overall 17-episode show is a great ratio.

edit: although "It's Your Funeral" did have the good little sequence with the never-otherwise-seen Number 2s indicating Number 6 has interacted with many other Number 2s and viewers have no way of knowing just how long he's been there or what else has happened.
Talking about this now brings to mind something I've wanted to do for a while and this series might be a good candidate. I want to watch a show out of order and then try to piece it back together. Kind of a Dark Souls* treatment. The Prisoner seems like a good candidate for that. I've seen bits and pieces of the show many years ago but I remember very little (only just enough to get the odd reference).

I'd like to try to rig it so I don't actually know what episode I'm watching (number wise). My thought was to make links to each show and obscure the address so I don't know which it corresponds to, then pick ones at random off the list. I know the Shout Factory has the episodes and having just messed around with the first episode link, although clunky, I should be able to obscure the episode number by holding my hand a certain way while I full screen it. I assume the credits in the episodes don't have the episode's number.

The only question I have is should I bookend the series with the first and last episode? The first episode will be obvious but it might be more interesting not to have that knowledge immediately and throw it in randomly with the rest. IIRC the series didn't really have an ending (being cancelled) so maybe that's not a big deal either.

*For those unaware of it Dark Souls is a video game that has a kind of non-linear narrative where all the information about the world is scattered around in item descriptions, the odd often cryptic character, as well as the environment and the enemies they face. Leaving the player to puzzle out what narrative they can.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

To: Amazon Prime

Dear Sirs,

This memo is to inform you that I hereby tender my resignation from The Man in the High Castle effective immediately. After two seasons and one season premier I have come to the conclusion that no program set in a Nazi-occupied America should be this dull. I can no longer in good conscience devote my limited time on earth attempting to tell your characters apart or recall what they did three episodes ago to precipitate such pregnant looks.

Thank you for providing paychecks, if not acting challenges, to Stephen Root and Rufus Sewell. I don't blame them for the poor quality of the show, nor do I blame Philip K. Dick, whose novel upon which the show was based was dull and incomprehensible in an entirely different way.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Season 1 and stop is the right way to do that show.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

JasonL wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 12:59
Season 1 and stop is the right way to do that show.
I found 2 episodes of season 1 to be more than enough.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

37 minutes of the Picard pilot was more than enough for me. 3rd rate garbage that you'd expect from the SyFy Channel. Nothing interesting in the slightest.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 20:37
After you guys mentioned it (and I subsequently learned that we had a subscription to Hulu), I decided to watch Letterkenny. Finished Season 1 yesterday, and that was pretty darn hilarious. Excellent use of callbacks throughout the season, it built some good stories around some side characters, and just really funny throughout.

Favorite joke: Squirrelly Dan's "Allegedly..."
Again late to the party, but the callback in the Season 2 cold open of an entire batch of dialogue from the Season 1 cold open was a lot of fun.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Warren

Post by Warren »

Westworld Season 1

It was alright. Didn't live up to the hype in my estimation. The Hollywood Neverloader was a continual source of irritation. But it was fine.

Should I bother with Season 2?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

What's the "Hollywood Neverloader"?

Season 2 is very different from season 1. The world that they're exploring gets much larger, and the robots become key protagonists while the humans are more reactive. The flashbacks shift their focus and purpose. Many people who loved season 1 were underwhelmed by season 2. I liked both.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Season 2 is not a good as Season 1. I liked to well enough, but if you were meh on Season 1, you're going to be really underwhelmed by 2.

part of that though, is that I strongly disagree with one or two choices the show made for overall plot direction and resolution.

eta - here's what I said (that does not include spoilers) in the spoiler thread immediately after I finished watching season 2
I agree that the good parts of season 2 were really good.i guess my biggest problem with season 2 was that I feel I could see the seams joining where the different writers/directors were producing the show.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex