It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Warren »

While I agree it's not a funny show. It had its share of punchlines. Most of the more memorable ones dropped by the female cast members. Like when Bobbie is being instructed to fall on her sword for the UN and the guy starts to try to convince her it's the right thing to do and she cuts him off with "What? So now you're going to tell me a fucking story to sell me on this bullshit". Or if you've ever served in the military, where she's piloting The Razorback trying to get Secretary Chrisjen away, and they have to outrun a missile, she says "Hitch your tits and pucker up. It's time to peel the paint". It's not a punchline exactly, but it's just so perfect.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

There's also some good stuff periodically n the belter patois, but yiu need the full context to really appreciate it.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I haven't started season 4 yet. I've developed a terrible binge habit, and I know once I start watching, I'm going to have a difficult time stopping.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Jasper wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 13:04
I haven't started season 4 yet. I've developed a terrible binge habit, and I know once I start watching, I'm going to have a difficult time stopping.
Well it's only ten episodes, and season 4 might actually break you of that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

A buncha stuff that Amos says is quotable. After that, Ashford and Drummer have some good stuff, and maybe Miller.

But yeah it's not a Whedon/Sorkin quipfest or anything. And the acting takes a LONG time to settle down (except for Agdashloo who's fucking awesome from the get-go).
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 20:35
A buncha stuff that Amos says is quotable. After that, Ashford and Drummer have some good stuff, and maybe Miller.

But yeah it's not a Whedon/Sorkin quipfest or anything. And the acting takes a LONG time to settle down (except for Agdashloo who's fucking awesome from the get-go).
I think it took a few episodes even for her.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

There are at least of couple of bad guys whose acting never settles down, but I blame script and direction for that. Bad bad guys is increasely my pet peeve i think.

(I'm only on episode one or two of the latest season)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Haven't seen any mentions of Picard online. I guess expectations are pretty low.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD »

Watched the first episode of Stephen King's The Outsider. While it is apparently not considered to be one of his best novels, so far I'm enjoying the TV series. So far it's mysterious without being all "vampires!" or "ancient space turtles!" (which could change, of course), and people act like people and not cartoon stereotypes (for example, a police detective uncovers evidence that counters the DA's case which had been thought to be bulletproof; the DA asks him what he did with it, and the detective responds that he entered it into evidence like he was supposed to). We'll see if it stays decent.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

mrs lunch wanted to try Letterkenny for the first time, and while I recognize that some of the laughs are lazy, it lazily hits notes that are pretty much solid lunchstealer territory. I still haven't gotten Trailer Park Boys going so I can't compare, but I kind of imagine it being in some sort of sweet spot between the MacKenzie Brothers, Trailer Park Boys and ... I'll get back to you on the third thing, but there is one. If nothing else I appreciate good hockey hair.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 21:07
I kind of imagine it being in some sort of sweet spot between the MacKenzie Brothers, Trailer Park Boys and ... I'll get back to you on the third thing, but there is one.
Wayne Gretzky? Triumph? ;) Not sure what metrics you're using to create your diagram, but if you're trying to think of a third Canadian comedy, I highly recommend Twitch City.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dbcooper wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 01:30
Haven't seen any mentions of Picard online. I guess expectations are pretty low.
I know of nothing but excitement among fans (aside from the usual randos posting hour-long YouTube diatribes about how it will ruin everything).

Hell, it's already been renewed for season 2.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I legit wanna see what they can do with 7 of 9 without that stupid catsuit (not that I didn't appreciate the whole 32 of D aesthetic from a certain point of view)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

As someone who likes to think he's a rationalist, materialist, and skeptic, I'm enjoying the hell out of Hellier, an apparent Youtube series that's now on Prime. At first I thought it was going to be more like a 'lost footage' thing with this paranormal investigative team getting tipped off to some weirdness, then they go investigate and all kinds of shit happens, with bad special effects and the whole thing. But no. They're serious. It's a documentary. Granted, a documentary of terribly gullible people going to creepy locations and performing "experiments", but I find it stupidly compelling. I mean, part of it is watching these people talk themselves into believing the most ridiculous crap imaginable. Every suggestion is credible; the more outrageous, the better. Every paranormal "field" is brought in: xeno- & exobiology, UFOs & extraterrestrials, the occult, ghosts & spirits, Mothman prophesies, military cover-ups, numerology, astrology, you name it. I knew I was in for a treat when they first start off to investigate little goblin-like creatures terrorizing a family, and they go and make a tiny shrine to woodland creatures and spirits for guidance. Totally bonkers.

If you remember the Ghost Hunters show from SciFi Channel a few years ago, it's like that, except on acid or peyote or something.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 04:28
I legit wanna see what they can do with 7 of 9 without that stupid catsuit (not that I didn't appreciate the whole 32 of D aesthetic from a certain point of view)
And that point of view is walking away from the camera.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 08:36
lunchstealer wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 04:28
And that point of view is walking away from the camera.
Can confirm.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jeri Ryan was a good actress. She had little opportunity to show at first, playing a Borg in a catsuit, but they were already getting more flexible about that before I dropped the show, and clips I've seen since the show ended makes me think she was probably one of the best on the cast.

But then, every Trek show up to Enterprise (I haven't caught Discovery yet) at least started out as weak writing dragged to success by their cast. (Even DS9 was a bit rocky that first season.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

7 of 9 was an amazing fictional character with one of the best back stories and character arcs in all of science fiction. Jeri Ryan portrayed her with grace and style and just the right amount of uncanny, all while tight laced in a corset, high heals, and vacuum packed in her "space suit".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

All I know about 7 of 9, I have learned from Swear Trek gifs.

I like her.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I've been watching The Prisoner and I've been pleasantly surprised with how well some of the later episodes have held up. It's been a decade since I first saw them, and I remembered the later ones being much weaker. Using the 6 of 1 viewing order (which has been good overall but "The General" should definitely precede "A,B, and C"), I'm down to 5 episodes remaining, and the only one that felt disjointed and somewhat slapped together was "It's Your Funeral." That one had the feel of being shot more on a soundstage than on location, some of the segments felt padded, and 6 didn't really interact with random villagers much.

I suspect "Do Not Forsake Me," "Girl Who was Death," and "Living in Harmony" will be a weak trio based on how I remember them, but then it's "Once Upon a Time" and "Fall Out." Three lesser episodes towards the end of a very strong overall 17-episode show is a great ratio.

edit: although "It's Your Funeral" did have the good little sequence with the never-otherwise-seen Number 2s indicating Number 6 has interacted with many other Number 2s and viewers have no way of knowing just how long he's been there or what else has happened.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 18:52
7 of 9 was an amazing fictional character with one of the best back stories and character arcs in all of science fiction. Jeri Ryan portrayed her with grace and style and just the right amount of uncanny, all while tight laced in a corset, high heals, and vacuum packed in her "space suit".
This is accurate right up until the last couple of episodes of VOY, which take an absurd and offensive turn with respect to character development.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Andrew wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 09:20
edit: although "It's Your Funeral" did have the good little sequence with the never-otherwise-seen Number 2s indicating Number 6 has interacted with many other Number 2s and viewers have no way of knowing just how long he's been there or what else has happened.
I haven't watched it in decades, but I thought it was #1 who was never seen while #2 changed almost every episode.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 09:32
Warren wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 18:52
This is accurate right up until the last couple of episodes of VOY, which take an absurd and offensive turn with respect to character development.
Amendment accepted.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Andrew wrote:
I've been watching The Prisoner and I've been pleasantly surprised with how well some of the later episodes have held up. It's been a decade since I first saw them, and I remembered the later ones being much weaker. Using the 6 of 1 viewing order (which has been good overall but "The General" should definitely precede "A,B, and C"), I'm down to 5 episodes remaining, and the only one that felt disjointed and somewhat slapped together was "It's Your Funeral." That one had the feel of being shot more on a soundstage than on location, some of the segments felt padded, and 6 didn't really interact with random villagers much.

I suspect "Do Not Forsake Me," "Girl Who was Death," and "Living in Harmony" will be a weak trio based on how I remember them, but then it's "Once Upon a Time" and "Fall Out." Three lesser episodes towards the end of a very strong overall 17-episode show is a great ratio.

"Living in Harmony" stands up pretty well. But the other two you mentioned are among my least favorite of the series.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Aresen wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 10:38
Andrew wrote:
I haven't watched it in decades, but I thought it was #1 who was never seen while #2 changed almost every episode.
That's correct. The sequence I'm referring to shows some clips of Number 2s that never appear in any other episode. There are many changing Number 2s that appear through the series, but this sequence indicates there were even other Number 2s that Number 6 encountered but viewers never saw.

This is just another bit of evidence that there is no way of telling how long Number 6 was there or how many Number 2s he butted heads with. While perhaps unintentional, I like that it shows the 17 episodes are only pieces of what Number 6 went through, not the whole story.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex