It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Warren » 31 Aug 2019, 15:39

Painboy wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 14:23
dbcooper wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 00:25
Man, the Bandit was into some serious shit when he was younger.

Also what the fuck kind of name is Efrom Zimblist Jr.?
Mr. Roper was a G-man?
That explains a few things actually.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 31 Aug 2019, 15:43

So they straight up murder a couple guys and the case is... theft of government property?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Aug 2019, 16:40

dead_elvis wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 15:43
So they straight up murder a couple guys and the case is... theft of government property?
Those guys were military, so murdering them is destruction of government property. I assume it's an included lesser charge.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 31 Aug 2019, 17:13

Warren wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 16:40
dead_elvis wrote:
Those guys were military, so murdering them is destruction of government property. I assume it's an included lesser charge.
No. I know drill instructors have been saying such things since WW II movies, but service members are not government property. It occurs to me that you may have been joking but, well, one never knows, does one?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 31 Aug 2019, 18:07

dead_elvis wrote:
That's the federal crime in question, I assume. The murders and armed robbery would be state crimes.

Catching these guys for this would naturally help with those prosecutions.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Aug 2019, 18:27

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 17:13
Warren wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 16:40
dead_elvis wrote:
No. I know drill instructors have been saying such things since WW II movies, but service members are not government property. It occurs to me that you may have been joking but, well, one never knows, does one?
It occurs to me that you may be joking.
I hope so.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Sep 2019, 20:52

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Sep 2019, 06:44

What the hell? Is it any good?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2019, 22:45

I just signed up for 30 days of Amazon Prime. Any video suggestions?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Oct 2019, 22:48

Bosch!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2019, 00:21

If you haven't seen The Expanse it's there just in time for the new season in December.

The Boys has been pretty good but I haven't finished it yet. Ditto The Tick.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 00:47

I'm not sure about Bosh. What makes it better than every other detective show?

I'm caught up on The Expanse. I loved it, but I'm concerned about the new season. The wormhole coming online was a natural ending. Will the next series be just as good?

Seen The Boys and it was meh.

Which incarnation of The Tick are you recommending?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Oct 2019, 00:59

Bosch is just really solid. If you don't like detective shows you wouldn't like it. But it's just done very well all around. And it feels very Los Angeles.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Oct 2019, 01:02

Oh, I see Eureka is on there! It's been years and years since I watched so I can't promise it holds up, but I remember really liking it.

Edit to add: Psych! Monk! Justified! RuPaul's Drag Race! Hannibal (watch seasons 1 & 2 only)!

I've heard good things about Fleabag and Dead Like Me, but have not watched those.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2019, 01:57

Ellie wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 01:02
Oh, I see Eureka is on there! It's been years and years since I watched so I can't promise it holds up, but I remember really liking it.

Edit to add: Psych! Monk! Justified! RuPaul's Drag Race! Hannibal (watch seasons 1 & 2 only)!

I've heard good things about Fleabag and Dead Like Me, but have not watched those.
Dead Like Me was really good first season, can't recall if it cratered quickly or if I'm crossing my wires. It's been years.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2019, 01:59

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 00:47
I'm not sure about Bosh. What makes it better than every other detective show?

I'm caught up on The Expanse. I loved it, but I'm concerned about the new season. The wormhole coming online was a natural ending. Will the next series be just as good?

Seen The Boys and it was meh.

Which incarnation of The Tick are you recommending?
All, and none will top TOS/TAS, but I'm currently watching the new one. Slightly different take from the TV versions, but so far reasonably well done. I'm really digging Ms. Lint as a character. Seeing Jules-Pierre Mao was a bit jarring tho.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 10:04

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 01:57
Ellie wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 01:02

Dead Like Me was really good first season, can't recall if it cratered quickly or if I'm crossing my wires. It's been years.
I watched like four episodes of Eureka when if first aired and dropped it. I kept hoping it would get good and it kept getting worse.
Dead Like Me was pretty good.
I've watched all of RuPaul's Drag Race I'm gonna. It's like a lot of "off the island" shows in that after the first few seasons you get board and so they start making it edgier or more intense and lose the stuff that made it good in the first place.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Oct 2019, 11:09

The Grand Tour is pretty good if you like the Top Gear formula. The first season is a little rough, but it gets better over time.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Oct 2019, 11:23

Don't I remember you watching Ms. Maisel? That's a Prime show and pretty good.

I can't decide how I feel about The Man in the High Castle, call it a B

Good Omens was pretty much spot on what I'd want it to be

I found Red Oaks amusing - it presses an 80s nostalgia button.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 15:54

I'm all over Mrs. Maisel. Don't expect 3rd season to drop till Dec.

Man in the High Castle is one of those, I really don't care how good it is, the premise is all nope for me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 15:58

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 11:09
The Grand Tour is pretty good if you like the Top Gear formula. The first season is a little rough, but it gets better over time.
That was on my maybe list. Thanks for the info. If I dip a toe in, I think I'll skip the first season.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Oct 2019, 16:07

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 15:58
Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 11:09
That was on my maybe list. Thanks for the info. If I dip a toe in, I think I'll skip the first season.
That's a wise approach.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Oct 2019, 16:14

Two seasons of the original "The Avengers" is now on Amazon Prime. I watched one episode and was disappointed, but for fans of Mr. Steed and Mrs. Peele, it's out there.

There's a very odd short series called "The Booth at the End" that I found intriguing and wished had been picked up and more episodes made. Also, I believe "The Lost Room" is now on AP, for those who are interested in oddball SF mini-series. "Fleabag," first season definitely, but I lost interest in the second season. I also endorse "Bosch." Yes, in many ways it's a routine police procedural that depends for its interest in how colorful the characters are, but I think it's well done and have enjoyed every season to varying degrees.

Also, just hitting on Amazon Prime original material, "Goliath" was pretty good, "Carnival Row" sucked, " Good Omens" was great fun, "Homecoming" was a disappointment and "Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams" was hit or miss, unfortunately more misses than hits. Most of the really famous HBO series that have come to an end are on Amazon Prime; I won't bother mentioning them. Amazon doesn't do as well with standup comedy as Netflix, but there are some older comedy specials on there if you're interested. Also, I won't bother with movies because there are plenty of places like Vulture where you can see what someone else thinks are the best movies currently available.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 16:21

I'm really F__KING disappointed in their documentaries. Loads of political and bio pics, and a smattering of music genre, but nothing off competition documentaries list
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 03 Oct 2019, 11:52

The entirety of Preacher was so damn weird that I may have to go back and watch it all again. I mean, it's always been about a guy who unexpectedly receives a supernatural power, but from there it went to a mutilated pervert becoming leader of the most powerful secret society on earth, Hitler returning from Hell to Earth, God dressing up in a latex dog suit in a New Orleans sex club, the mentally and physically defective 20th-great-grandchild of Jesus, etc. etc.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston