It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Ellie » 17 Jun 2019, 23:14

I watched one today with an off-grid tiny house being built by a young white couple (of course) where the husband was a professional snowboarder (OF COURSE). But it was, shockingly, a tiny house where the bedroom was a real second story (not barely-room-to-sit-up loft) accessible by stairs instead of a ladder or climbing wall or other nonsense! Admittedly the husband also has lupus and type 1 diabetes and talked about how he's aware he may become infirm sooner than he'd like, and broke his foot during the build and was limping around in a boot. So apparently THAT is what it takes for tiny house people to use stairs.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Jun 2019, 23:15

Can I also just say how much I hate the phrase "luxury yurt"? And yes, I am aware of what a grim commentary it is on my television habits that I've heard that phrase so many times. :lol:

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 18 Jun 2019, 09:26

Ellie wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 23:15
Can I also just say how much I hate the phrase "luxury yurt"? And yes, I am aware of what a grim commentary it is on my television habits that I've heard that phrase so many times. :lol:
I'd be tempted to stay in a luxury yurt for a vacation or long weekend.

I'll never, ever, go glamping however.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Jun 2019, 09:29

Jasper wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Can I also just say how much I hate the phrase "luxury yurt"? And yes, I am aware of what a grim commentary it is on my television habits that I've heard that phrase so many times.

Too bad, staying in a luxury yurt is, pretty much the definition of glamping.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 18 Jun 2019, 10:17

Highway wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 09:29
Jasper wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Can I also just say how much I hate the phrase "luxury yurt"? And yes, I am aware of what a grim commentary it is on my television habits that I've heard that phrase so many times.

Too bad, staying in a luxury yurt is, pretty much the definition of glamping.
Clarification then: I'll never admit to glamping. :D
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2019, 10:34

Ellie wrote:
OMG The fucking Yurt.
The yurt is a glorified tent. It was designed with the must-have feature of being portable. The tiny house people that don't know they're living in a poorly designed mobile home aren't as misguided as the off-the-grid idiots that live in a fixed yurt.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jun 2019, 15:21

I stayed at a lodge in the Galapagos where instead of cabins they had luxury tents, but I don't consider it glamping because they were more-or-less fixed and because one didn't cook at the tent, because there was a lounge and dining room for breakfast and dinner. And they were plumbed with cold and hot (non-potable) water including showers.

I think of glamping as being mobile/temporary, and where cooking is done or at least can be done at the glampsite. Once there's fixed plumbing or an actual building serving three course meals and a selection of beer, wine, and coctails, you're actually a bit above glamping, IMO.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Jun 2019, 16:46

I've stayed in a bogus teepee motel on Route 66 because who wouldn't? And I've stayed in hostels as recently as several years ago because $20 a night to stay on Waikiki Beach and I wasn't exactly planning on spending much time at my lodgings, regardless. Generally, though, if the place doesn't have room service, I'll give it a pass.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2019, 16:49

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 16:46
I've stayed in a bogus teepee motel on Route 66
Which state?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Jun 2019, 17:59

Warren wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 16:49
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 16:46
I've stayed in a bogus teepee motel on Route 66
Which state?
Arizona.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Jun 2019, 17:22

Am Prime Hanna isn't bad. The Cate Blanchett analog is doing ... something to convey being sociopathic, but it may be the thing she's doing is "acting poorly". I can't tell.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Jun 2019, 13:05

Jasper made a Fargo reference in another thread, which reminded me that I never ranted about attempting to watch Fargo: The TV Show a few years ago. I just couldn't get past how the bully dude kept deliberately mispronouncing Lester Nygaard's last name as "Niggard." That would just not happen in Minnesota! First of all, Nygaard is such a common last name that I don't think it would occur to anyone to fake-mispronounce it. It would be like calling someone named Jones "Jew-ness." You look like an idiot who doesn't know the most basic of words. Second, people are plenty racist around here, but (outside of St. Cloud, and especially in small towns) we don't have enough black people for the n-word to be on most people's radar. You want slurs against American Indians, we have them by the boatload ...

All right, thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jun 2019, 17:28

Ellie wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:05
Jasper made a Fargo reference in another thread, which reminded me that I never ranted about attempting to watch Fargo: The TV Show a few years ago. I just couldn't get past how the bully dude kept deliberately mispronouncing Lester Nygaard's last name as "Niggard." That would just not happen in Minnesota! First of all, Nygaard is such a common last name that I don't think it would occur to anyone to fake-mispronounce it. It would be like calling someone named Jones "Jew-ness." You look like an idiot who doesn't know the most basic of words. Second, people are plenty racist around here, but (outside of St. Cloud, and especially in small towns) we don't have enough black people for the n-word to be on most people's radar. You want slurs against American Indians, we have them by the boatload ...

All right, thank you for letting me get that off my chest.
Sincere question from someone who's never been to Minnesota (and can't recall ever seeing that particular name in print, even): how DO you properly pronounce "Nygaard?" This is the sort of informational tidbit I think might come in handy someday....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Jun 2019, 17:58

NYE-gard.

Jake

Post by Jake » 25 Jun 2019, 00:52

It's spelled "NYE-gard", but it's pronounced "Throatwarbler Mangrove."

(That was for Warren.)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jun 2019, 04:06

My guess was "Chumley."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jun 2019, 09:16

Jake wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 00:52
It's spelled "NYE-gard", but it's pronounced "Throatwarbler Mangrove."

(That was for Warren.)
You're a very silly man.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jun 2019, 14:23

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Jun 2019, 14:31

Legion is back and still better watched while high.

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Jun 2019, 14:46

Ellie wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 17:58
NYE-gard.
The funny thing of course is if you're watching a Swedish show you hear it the actual right way which is with a close front rounded vowel aka German ü/French u (viz. "Nyberg" in the Swedish Wallander production) but my mind would have been blown if that had been what you meant!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jun 2019, 15:01

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 14:23
That looks interesting
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Jun 2019, 22:34

I am one and a half episodes into True Detective. Somehow I knew nothing about it going in -- not the premise, not the stars, nada. I want to like it. But OH MY GOD IT IS SLOW. I feel like I've been watching for weeks. Maybe a lot of these interminable, repetitive scenes are actually placing Chekov's guns on the mantel. I'm not sure if I can hang in there long enough to see them get fired.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Jun 2019, 10:59

The first season, particularly the first half of the first season, is slow for very good reasons, imo.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jun 2019, 21:59

Hmm. I'm concerned because I'm not sure how you top Blackadder Goes Fourth but could be interesting for Dr. T.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5399/b ... _series_5/
Blackadder stars meet to discuss Series 5

* Reports suggest Blackadder Series 5 is going to be made
* Rowan Atkinson, Tony Robinson, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie met to agree on a return
* The new series will reportedly see Blackadder as a university lecturer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jul 2019, 00:17

Kolohe wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 10:59
The first season, particularly the first half of the first season, is slow for very good reasons, imo.
I'm through episode 5 (so a bit past halfway) and I'm enjoying it a lot now. Glad I hung in there. It was SLOW though; those first two episodes, omg.