It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 May 2019, 10:52

Netflix picked up Lucifer for a 4th season. I stopped watching somewhere around the middle of Season 2 when it became little more than a romcom police procedural.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 May 2019, 11:20

I understand the extreme usefulness of having a setup where you can tell a single story per episode, but why does practically EVERY show have to make that setup "... and they solve crimes!" Joan of Arcadia, for instance, did a problem-of-the-week without it being a police procedural. I'm just weary of shows about solving crimes. Which is not a place I thought I'd ever get to...

(I started watching Lucifer last night after the discussion here, but it wasn't grabbing me. For one thing, Lucifer the sexy desire fiend should be a LOT more bi, just saying. I did like the implied man-on-woman oral sex near the beginning of the pilot. I'm just in the mood for more smut and less law 'n' order, apparently.)
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 May 2019, 15:03

Lucifer is sort of the opposite of Burn Notice, in that the case of the week is usually the least interesting part of Lucifer and the most interesting part of Burn Notice.

I don't care about the people who burned Michael. I want to see him take down the con artist who ripped off his mother's friend. OTOH, I don't care about some murdered Hollywood stunt man. I want to see Lucifer deal with a demonic former employee, a divine mother, a fallen angelic brother, and a therapist who is addicted to sex with the devil. These things are far more interesting than formulaic murder cases.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 May 2019, 22:06

My parents are watching "The Voice"
please kill me
NO WAIT
please take a corkscrew to all the contestants vocal cords.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 May 2019, 04:16

Warren wrote:My parents are watching "The Voice"
please kill me
NO WAIT
please take a corkscrew to all the contestants vocal cords.
Mrs lunch watches that sometimes. I believe the corkscrew thing is part of the application process.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 May 2019, 09:56

Is the Chernobyl series a documentary or an historical reenactment a la the People v O.J.?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 May 2019, 09:57

Historical drama.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 May 2019, 20:41

Finally saw last season of The Americans. Great dismount. Way stronger than most of the great shows we've had recently.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 May 2019, 23:54

Lucifer season 4 really picked up after the weak season 3. In season 3 they didn't know what to do with 24 episodes and didn't really develop Cain. But season 4 really stepped up.

And Tom Ellis deserves an Emmy.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 May 2019, 16:43

Binge-watched all of "Good Omens" (one of my all time favorite books). Very good adaptation for which I have only one minor complaint: unlike the book, the series did NOT specify what the Satanic nuns did with the third baby.

EDIT: Also, the show never explained WHY Queen songs were the only songs that ever played over Crowley's car stereo.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 01 Jun 2019, 15:42

Enjoying Good Omens. Except for this empty feeling that however it is, it would be better if it could have had Alan Rickman in it, in any role at all. And once again Jon Hamm somehow irritates the heck out of me. I have yet to see him in anything post-Mad Men that I didn't find him to be jarringly distracting. Luckily he doesn't get much screen time.

Deadwood anybody? What the fuck was that? Was there a point to that, other than hey GoT isn't the only show that can have a character throw away a perfectly good plan that others sacrificed a hell of a lot for in a selfish fit. And sorry, nice guy that he was Charlie Udder wasn't the emotional heart and soul of the show to get that kind of mawkish send off. I didn't really get much out of it except that yeah it *is* real nice to hear these characters talk again for a couple hours. Also fun to listen to my wife yelling at Skylar White during the show.

Also in middle of season 2 of Fleabag. This is good, enjoyed the first season. Cringey, but cringey for a reason and has a payoff.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jun 2019, 16:49

dead_elvis wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 15:42

Also in middle of season 2 of Fleabag. This is good, enjoyed the first season. Cringey, but cringey for a reason and has a payoff.
I think "cringey" was probably the one-word pitch for that show. The first season was cringe-inducing for different plot purposes, of course, but since I don't particularly care who her love interest in the second season does or doesn't have sex with, I rather lost interest a few episodes in.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2019, 01:24

dead_elvis wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 15:42
And once again Jon Hamm somehow irritates the heck out of me. I have yet to see him in anything post-Mad Men that I didn't find him to be jarringly distracting.
I tend to find this true for me, too! The exception was Kimmy Schmidt (which I haven't finished yet so no spoilers please :lol: ). He was sometimes distracting but sometimes worked. It's too bad because I think he's a very skilled comedic actor, but it's hard for me to get into any characters he plays instead of just seeing JON HAMM.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jun 2019, 08:43

Also on team Not Sure Hamm Can Actually Act - Draper mystery may have been incapacity to show range.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jun 2019, 10:01

I liked Baby Driver. Thought Hamm pulled off his character as well as the rest of the cast. Wasn't about the acting though.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 02 Jun 2019, 10:10

After one episode, I'm pretty impressed with Catch-22. It's pretty close to the feel of the book.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jun 2019, 10:13

Number 6 wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 10:10
After one episode, I'm pretty impressed with Catch-22. It's pretty close to the feel of the book.
Another endorsement.
Glenn Garvin panned it pretty hard.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Jun 2019, 20:14

We've been using What We Do in the Shadows as our need-to-fill-half-an-hour-to-an-hour of time and we're really sad that we're coming up on the end of the season.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jun 2019, 03:16

I freaking love what We Do In The Shadows. I'm hoping all the various revelations Guillermo's been having eventually payoff at the end of the series (not season; it has been renewed for at least one more).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Jun 2019, 11:05

They also play more with the documentary conceit than most pseudodocumentaries like The Office and Modern Family, which I appreciate.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jun 2019, 11:59

Yeah but vampires. No.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Jun 2019, 16:23

Is comedy not drama.

It's about vampires the way Archer is about spies.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jun 2019, 17:08

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 11:05
They also play more with the documentary conceit than most pseudodocumentaries like The Office and Modern Family, which I appreciate.
Especially the finale -- which I won't discuss yet for fear of spoiling it for you -- but hurry up and watch it so I can share my theory/prediction for how Guillermo might end the show!

And remember: there's no shame in being a pinata farmer. People LOVE those colorful little donkeys!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Jun 2019, 17:48

I just started watching Building Off the Grid with hopes that it would be a how-to show -- not as awesome as This Old House because nothing is, but still providing some step-by-step info on choosing a solar panel, or installing a rainwater collection system, or whatever.

Alas, it is bog-standard "We are working on this project! There will be a potential disaster before every commercial break!" fare. And every project is "We are a young white hetero couple / group of older white men (choose one) building a house off-grid in the forests of Alaska / Colorado (choose one)."

Also, I've seen fewer white dreadlocks than I was expecting. (Not zero white dreadlocks though, obviously.)

Though there was one unintentionally hilarious episode where a group of mountain bikers were building a retreat in Colorado, and decided they wanted to be totally zero-carbon-footprint so they didn't bring any power tools. Somebody pointed out that cutting one joist took them half an hour with a hand saw but would have taken half a minute with a power saw. You could kind of see everyone wishing the camera crew wasn't there so they could give up their stupid zero-carbon idea without anybody else knowing about it.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Jun 2019, 17:52

My wife watches that one. It is rather tropey as you say, but it does vary between 'stupid hippies' and 'hippies that actually know what they're doing'
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex