It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Mar 2019, 14:55

Vanity Fair (recent Amazon version):

I found the use of songs by Bob Dylan and Kate Bush and such in a period drama to be oddly distracting, but the truly painful anachronism was hearing Borodin's second string quartet (composed 1881) being played as music at a party that is clearly taking place in 1815.

Joking aside, we enjoyed this very much. Though I'm not sure I came to the conclusions I was supposed to... I mean, out of everything "vain" and "not worth having", I have a hard time begrudging Becky, a poor person looked down in a system that offers little prospect of an enjoyable life becoming obsessed with obtaining the things that might offer some independence. Maybe she shouldn't have been such a manipulative lying shit to get it, but being obsessed with obtaining money in that environment seems like a reasonably correct choice. Yeah, money's not worth having, as long as you have some.

It occasionally felt like the moral of the story was "they could have been happy, but they weren't because they didn't know their place".

As a kid my brother (and I to a much lesser extent) played wargames with painted napoleonic miniatures, so the battle scenes were extremely fascinating.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Mar 2019, 15:02

dead_elvis wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 14:55
Yeah, money's not worth having, as long as you have some.
As great as it is, and as much as I enjoyed it, I did the same wince at the end of Fargo when the cop is driving Steve Buscemi and she asks him something like "Why did you commit all those terrible crimes? For a little bit of money? Don't you know there are more important things than money?" And I think the first time I saw it I actually said out loud "Not if you don't have any".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Mar 2019, 16:46

Not being a fan of comedies in general, I find my wife's use of Parks and Rec for background comedy pleasant enough. I like the earnestness of it.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Mar 2019, 16:52

It's a really fantastic show. Particularly because they have a character who is so openly libertarian, and they never make him have some stupid revelation about how government is really a good thing after all; and while his libertarianism / hatred of government is often used as the occasion for jokes, it's never the punchline itself (i.e. the joke is never, "This guy thinks government is bad! Lololol what a moron!")

My only complaint is how mean everyone was to Jerry the whole time, because I love him SO MUCH
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2019, 22:58

Season 10 premier episode Trading Spaces
70's and Mid Century Modern
sploosh and sploosh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Mar 2019, 11:05

I saw that one. I was fine with the mid century modern, but the 70s one was too literal. I didn't care for the frisbee wall at all, and the Burt Reynolds thing was visibly poorly crafted.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Mar 2019, 11:45

Kolohe wrote:I saw that one. I was fine with the mid century modern, but the 70s one was too literal. I didn't care for the frisbee wall at all, and the Burt Reynolds thing was visibly poorly crafted.
Concur, although the lineswoosh thing was pretty good. Could a stopped there.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Mar 2019, 12:45

Letterkenny is hilarious.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Mar 2019, 14:41

Everyone I know is suddenly quoting letterkenny.

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 Mar 2019, 20:37

After you guys mentioned it (and I subsequently learned that we had a subscription to Hulu), I decided to watch Letterkenny. Finished Season 1 yesterday, and that was pretty darn hilarious. Excellent use of callbacks throughout the season, it built some good stories around some side characters, and just really funny throughout.

Favorite joke: Squirrelly Dan's "Allegedly..."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 29 Mar 2019, 13:55

Started watching a few episodes last night, and yeah, it's pretty good.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Apr 2019, 15:10

So, the new Twilight Zone, two episodes in...

Well, the first episode started slow and not in a "slow burn" good sort of way, but it did pick up and the ending, though telegraphed in the last couple of minutes, was okay. A bit heavy handed and, as was the problem in Season 4 of the original series, padded. I'm not sure TZ can be done well as an hour length series, and nothing about either of these first two episodes have led me to reconsider. (Very roughly speaking, this was a reworking of "Printer's Devil" with Tracy Morgan as Burgess Meredith, sort of.)

Second episode was significantly better, though for different reasons the ending -- more a coda than a finale -- was thin. I was really dreading having to sit through yet another iteration of "Terror At X,000 Feet," but it was sufficiently reworked that I actually enjoyed it.

Jordan Peele was okay as the narrator, but he lacks the slightly sardonic expression both Serling and Forest Whitaker brought. Hell, even Whitaker managed to get a bit of a twinkle in one eye! Maybe if Peele at least held a smoldering cigarette....

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Apr 2019, 12:34

I like that new show "What We Do In The Shadows" (based on a movie of the same name): it's a fake reality show about central European vampires living in modern Staten Island. Only two episodes have aired thus far, but they were very funny.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 04 Apr 2019, 17:17

Jennifer wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 12:34
I like that new show "What We Do In The Shadows" (based on a movie of the same name): it's a fake reality show about central European vampires living in modern Staten Island. Only two episodes have aired thus far, but they were very funny.
If you haven't seen the movie, highly recommended. Matt Berry is funny but he's no Jemaine Clement.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Apr 2019, 20:21

Kwix wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 17:17
Jennifer wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 12:34
If you haven't seen the movie, highly recommended. Matt Berry is funny but he's no Jemaine Clement.
I saw it after watching the TV pilot episode. I like how the show added the "energy vampire," but I hope it also adopts the movie's idea of a vampire played by a young actor "turning" a very elderly woman because that was the woman he loved when she was young (plus various cradle-robber jokes because the young-looking vampire is many times older than the elderly woman).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 15 Apr 2019, 23:03

Been watching Blindspot. One of the weird things about it that I've noticed is that there is constant background music. There is literally never a moment when there isn't some music behind people speaking. It actually gets kind of intrusive once you notice it.

edit: fixed formatting
Last edited by JD on 17 Apr 2019, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Apr 2019, 03:34

It's called Blindspot not Deaf Jam?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 May 2019, 21:35

I just watched the episode of the Grand Tour where they drove from the Black Sea to the Caspian, and I'm wondering if it's possible for Trump to negotiate a trade of the former Soviet state of Georgia for the former Confederate state of Georgia.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 May 2019, 23:08

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 May 2019, 21:35
I just watched the episode of the Grand Tour where they drove from the Black Sea to the Caspian, and I'm wondering if it's possible for Trump to negotiate a trade of the former Soviet state of Georgia for the former Confederate state of Georgia.
♫ And Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my my mind! ♫

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 May 2019, 13:01

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 May 2019, 21:35
You want to trade a heavily African American state for a place full of Caucasians?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 05 May 2019, 22:55

Watched the first season of Letterkenny. Mildly amusing. Everyone is way too attractive, though. Trailer Park Boys did a better job of finding regular-looking actors.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 May 2019, 12:46

[sigh]Bonnie McMurray![/sigh]
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 May 2019, 19:42

Kim’s Convenience is kind of the standard sitcom, but it’s written really well. I’m liking it a lot.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 May 2019, 21:33

"American Dad" on TBS has been getting very weird, in a cool way. Just watched an episode called "Rabbit Ears" (which aired a couple weeks ago, but I only got around to the recording now) -- it actually would've made a very credible episode of a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits-type show.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 May 2019, 01:05

Jasper wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
31 May 2018, 19:03
Kwix wrote:
31 May 2018, 14:17
Well crap. I just found out that Fox has cancelled Lucifer. It happened the week that the finale aired. They did this big story arc and left it at a cliffhanger figuring that there was no way Fox would dump them.
My clue was this past Monday's episode was actually two episodes, back to back, and not at all connected to what felt like the season finale (which it was). These "bonus" episodes were filmed for Season 3 and then pushed to now cancelled Season 4. Seems everyone on the social media webz is aware but I, a humble mushroom, was not.
My nerd friends - well different nerd than you guys - were all getting the vapors. I'd never had a chance to watch it, but sounds like it was worth keeping compared to some stuff these days.
Wife and I watched maybe the first half of the first season, and it seemed promising. I was skeptical going in since Lucifer is set up as a modern sleazeball dudebro out for kicks that just happens to be the Prince of Darkness, but it was kinda fun to watch the actor chew scenery. I think my wife continued watching it. I saw it more as a fun diversion unless there was something better on.
I just got into Lucifer and have binged my way into season 3. Honestly, Cain is boring. He's the most infamous of sinners on a show about the devil and yet he's boring.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo