It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Nov 2018, 19:44

Fraiser was sort of the archetypal three-camera sitcom, with humor largely derived from setup-and-punchline, wordplay, high-brought-low, and absurdity, with occasional masterclasses in physical comedy by David Hyde Pierce. Its success owed a lot to the cast's ability to deliver their dialogue with just the right inflection and timing to make it land. Also Fraiser was probably the best I have ever seen at the callback. Jokes can pop back up at the end of an exchange, at the end of a scene, or the end of an episode.

Calling either Friaser or Arrested Development cringe comedy does not jive with my understanding of the term.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Nov 2018, 00:50

You don’t find arrested development chicken dance cringey?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Nov 2018, 02:01

That's just physical comedy.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Nov 2018, 03:00

JasonL wrote:You don’t find arrested development chicken dance cringey?
It’s too absurd for cringe. The cringe comes from too close for comfort.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Nov 2018, 08:59

TiL we humans cringe at different things. The cringe for me comes from feeling humiliation by proxy. It would probably take me a while to pin down why something like Monty Python is absurd but not cringey while chicken dance makes me want to die, but it feels very different to me.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Nov 2018, 09:43

For me, cringe comedy means when one character is doing something super awkward/embarrassing/rude that the other characters are judging them for. So The Office is cringe comedy because a lot of the times when Michael is being an ass, the other characters are clearly sitting there thinking, "This guy is being such an ass." On the other hand, on Arrested Development, everybody is into the chicken dance.

"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Nov 2018, 23:17

Yeah, Michael [Scott] coming up to Pam's desk and pounding on it going "PAM! PAMPAMPAM!" is cringey, not least because my boss then decided to do it to our coworker named Pam. So if you've had a childish wants-to-be-one-of-the-guys boss, or just a roommate/friend with boundary issues that's cringe inducing because it's uncomfortable and real.

The chicken dance is just ludicrous, and the only one who's embarrassed by it is Michael [Bluth]. Les Cousins Dangereaux or whatever was cringey, but that's not nearly so much of the comedy as the Michael and/or Dwight being an asshole and making the entire office uncomfortable on The Office.

And Monty Python is absurd because instead of a chicken it's a fish and they slap each other with fishes one of which is fucking huge and knocks the dancer into the canal.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jake

Post by Jake » 30 Nov 2018, 23:51

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 23:17
And Monty Python is absurd because instead of a chicken it's a fish and they slap each other with fishes one of which is fucking huge and knocks the dancer into the canal.
That's all the excuse I need!

"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2018, 11:03

I couldn't sit through more than five minutes of either Curb Your Enthusiasm or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia because cringe.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Dec 2018, 11:26

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 19:44
Fraiser was sort of the archetypal three-camera sitcom, with humor largely derived from setup-and-punchline, wordplay, high-brought-low, and absurdity, with occasional masterclasses in physical comedy by David Hyde Pierce. Its success owed a lot to the cast's ability to deliver their dialogue with just the right inflection and timing to make it land. Also Fraiser was probably the best I have ever seen at the callback. Jokes can pop back up at the end of an exchange, at the end of a scene, or the end of an episode.

Calling either Friaser or Arrested Development cringe comedy does not jive with my understanding of the term.
Frasier did sometimes use what I would call "cringe comedy" to make a joke -- virtually always at the expense of Frasier himself -- but it wasn't the cornerstone of the show's humor the way it is for The Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm. It just got used occasionally.

The farce and physical comedy were way more prevalent. (And, oh my god, I had the biggest teenage crush on David Hyde Pierce and it has only grown stronger with time. :lol: )

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Jan 2019, 15:39

Killing Eve was... disappointing. Felt like there was a lot of potential that just needed a slightly different jiggering.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jan 2019, 15:58

dead_elvis wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 15:39
Killing Eve was... disappointing. Felt like there was a lot of potential that just needed a slightly different jiggering.
I agree that it could've been spectacular instead of merely quite good, but it definitely hit the quite good mark.

It felt kind of appropriately nihilist. The blubbering panickyness of the douchetraitor in the car chase was hells of funny. The only thing that really took me out of it was having first gotten to know the sidekick guy in The Thin Blue Line.

Also in confirming that I was thinking of the right guy, I found out that he played Jim Hacker in a 2013 remake of Yes, Prime Minister.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jan 2019, 16:04

My Brilliant Friend is actually pretty good. Pace is very slow - lingering shots where you are not quite sure if a glance is meaningful or not. I found the setting of post war italy engaging in an "i haven't really seen much about this place" way. Writing carries it along with pretty solid kid actor performances.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 12 Feb 2019, 16:47

Brockmire. A couple episodes into season 2. Funny show, I like it. But I feel it running the risk that all "entertaining disaster of a person" shows have, in that you can only laugh at someone fueled by alcoholism and drug abuse and cringey assholishness so long before it just feels sad and not funny anymore (and partly because in real life you know they would actually be dead or homeless by now). At the same time if they send it in a direction of redemption it ruins why you were watching it in the first place.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Feb 2019, 23:07

On Amazon Prime, I'm about halfway through the episodes of This Giant Beast That is the Global Economy with Kal Penn. It's really very good and hilarious when, as often happens, there's almost grudging praise for how market economics works and how it doesn't, e.g., by rent seeking, which is the real subject of the episode "Are Rick People Dicks or Do Dicks Get Rich." DAR sez two thumbs up! (At least for the four episodes I've watched.)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Feb 2019, 23:21

I just watched the first season of Killing Eve on Hulu and really enjoyed it. Someone called it "Grey's Anatomy with British spies" and that's a pretty good way to describe it in terms of how dramatic but non-gritty and non-realistic it is. The actress who plays Villanelle is amazing, and a lot of the show's success hangs on her performance.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Feb 2019, 04:56

Ellie wrote:I just watched the first season of Killing Eve on Hulu and really enjoyed it. Someone called it "Grey's Anatomy with British spies" and that's a pretty good way to describe it in terms of how dramatic but non-gritty and non-realistic it is. The actress who plays Villanelle is amazing, and a lot of the show's success hangs on her performance.
mrs lunch and I make Villanelle’s sad face at each other a lot.

JD

Post by JD » 28 Feb 2019, 10:23

The Rookie is kind of a guilty pleasure. I like the general concept (it follows three rookie officers in the LAPD, one of them a guy who joined much later in life than your average rookie), but the amount of action is hilariously unrealistic. These guys get into a massive gunfight pretty much every single week. I actually prefer the sequences that are more realistic looks at how there are small wins and small losses all the time.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Feb 2019, 11:21

lunchstealer wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 04:56
Ellie wrote:I just watched the first season of Killing Eve on Hulu and really enjoyed it. Someone called it "Grey's Anatomy with British spies" and that's a pretty good way to describe it in terms of how dramatic but non-gritty and non-realistic it is. The actress who plays Villanelle is amazing, and a lot of the show's success hangs on her performance.
mrs lunch and I make Villanelle’s sad face at each other a lot.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are the best.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Feb 2019, 20:34

ATTENTION GRYLLIADE

Set your DVRs to record Wheel of Fortune Wed March 13th
My cousin's daughter and her husband Jon will be on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Feb 2019, 20:45

Warren wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:34
ATTENTION GRYLLIADE

Warren, YOU were supposed to get on and dedicate your winnings to hosting the next gryllicon.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Feb 2019, 21:30

Aresen wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:45
Warren wrote:
ATTENTION GRYLLIADE

Warren, YOU were supposed to get on and dedicate your winnings to hosting the next gryllicon.
Are you kidding? I'm lucky Vanna dropped the harassment claim.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Feb 2019, 22:35

Warren wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 21:30
Aresen wrote:
Warren wrote:
ATTENTION GRYLLIADE

Did you try to buy an O?

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Mar 2019, 20:15

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:35
Warren wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 21:30
Aresen wrote:
Warren wrote:
ATTENTION GRYLLIADE

Did you try to buy an O?
I just wanted a Free Spin.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Mar 2019, 19:00

There’s no thread for live theater, but this is close enough. I saw Hamilton (much cheaper and shorter wait than in NYC). It was an excellent play, the music and choreography were outstanding. And there was something a bit odd/subversive watching it in King George’s country and in a theater named after his granddaughter.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex