It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jun 2018, 03:39

Jennifer wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 17:54
Eric the .5b wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 17:41
That's demented; I'm not sure whether in the good or bad way.
I don't know about the other people who watched and liked the new Roseanne, but: for me, at least, it wasn't Roseanne herself who was the draw. (For that matter, I highly doubt I'd've watched the show in the first place if it were a "new" offering.) For me, it was a bit of a nostalgia kick -- the equivalent of "I wouldn't care how so-and-so is doing if he were somebody I just met; I'm only interested in so-and-so because I knew him when we were kids." Provided the show has good writers, I'd still be interested in watching The Conners sans their matriarch--and since the reboot already showed that Roseanne has a prescription opioid addiction, if they want her to die off-screen they already have a plausible and consistent way to do this, in a manner that "addresses" the show's overall theme of "working-class American life kinda sucks nowadays" far better than, say, having her die in an off-screen car accident would.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jul 2018, 12:24

Pose is Woke2. How could it be anything else? And it gets eye rolly when it's thumping on Trump, the middle class, and the burbs. But it's excellent entertainment. The characters are fully formed, the writing is good, and the performances are amazeballz.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Jul 2018, 08:10

Anyone watch the new Sacha Baron Cohen series? I think Nick Mullen (Cum Town) wrote for it.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Jul 2018, 11:56

dbcooper wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 08:10
Anyone watch the new Sacha Baron Cohen series? I think Nick Mullen (Cum Town) wrote for it.
Yeah, it was three bits showing that regular people and Bernie Sanders have infinite patience followed by one bit showing that Republican and right wing operatives are either too dumb to breathe or live in a conservative media bubble that is perhaps so much more all-encompassing than I had previously thought possible. Whether you will enjoy it mostly will have to do with whether or not you found him funny before, I think. I have never thought he's funny. It wasn't offensive or anything, just meh, which is how I find all of his stuff.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Jul 2018, 20:07

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 11:56
dbcooper wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 08:10
Yeah, it was three bits showing that regular people and Bernie Sanders have infinite patience followed by one bit showing that Republican and right wing operatives are either too dumb to breathe or live in a conservative media bubble that is perhaps so much more all-encompassing than I had previously thought possible. Whether you will enjoy it mostly will have to do with whether or not you found him funny before, I think. I have never thought he's funny. It wasn't offensive or anything, just meh, which is how I find all of his stuff.
Thanks. I'll probably just skip to the conservative/gop stuff.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Jul 2018, 21:16

The thing that I thought was funniest was actually Sanders bit. He's trying to explain his position and Cohen is being nuts which leads to a great "are you fucking kidding me face" from Sanders.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jul 2018, 15:36

The Terror was pretty good. Ending a bit clunky, but good mood acting and dialogue.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jul 2018, 13:58

After seeing various news stories about it, I watched the first two episodes of Sacha Baron Cohen's "Who Is America?" It's uneven -- when it is good it is very, very good, but when it's not it's pretty boring. In the "good" sections he convinces people to expose some very nasty bigotries they have -- the two news stories that inspired me to watch the show were "sleazebucket state legislator in south Georgia resigns after appearing on Cohen's show" and "town of Kingman, Arizona has some real shitheads attending their city council meetings" -- and those scenes were as facepalmingly fascinating as the news articles led me to believe -- but the dull ones merely show Cohen's character being a lunatic asshole, with the presumed humor coming from the Americans being too polite to tell him "You're a fucking lunatic; get the hell out of my house."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Sep 2018, 22:00

Ugly Delicious

He may well be a culinary wizard, but David Chang's food dogma is smug, capricious, and self-serving. I'd like to give him a hot sauce enema.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Sep 2018, 19:49

Fried chicken episode is dope tho.

Unrelated but the series finale of adventure time was super good.

Eta: adventure time is a series I'd unequivocally recommend to anyone however.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 07 Sep 2018, 20:49

Been watching Lodge 49. It's somewhat low key, like a show that Lebowski would watch. It's fun and lighthearted but not really aiming to get anywhere fast.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Sep 2018, 08:57

dhex wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 19:49
Fried chicken episode is dope tho.
And racist AF
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Sep 2018, 14:33

Am I the only one watching the Good Place? Because that show is terrific.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Sep 2018, 14:36

I don't know if I have ever before genuinely used the word "triggering" but I couldn't watch more than a few episodes because my teenage depression was SERIOUSLY bound up in weird quasi-Catholic ideas about guilt and hell, and this show actually triggers that again for me.

Which sucks, because it's fucking amazing and hilarious. (Except the dog getting kicked into the sun. Obvs, me being me, I got upset there.)
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Sep 2018, 14:45

Barry is pretty good but I find the tone shifts jarring.

ETA: if it were a cabernet I'd accuse it of un-integrated tannins

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Sep 2018, 14:47

I hadn't heard of that show before. Bill Hader AND Stephen Root? Two of my favorite people ever! (On the other hand, dark comedy isn't usually my thing ... )
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 12 Sep 2018, 15:19

Hugh Akston wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 14:33
I quite enjoy it too.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Sep 2018, 19:33

Hugh Akston wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 14:33
I have a tumblr post that keeps getting reblogged by The Good Place fandom tumblrs.