It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Highway » 02 Apr 2013, 09:47

Between winter and spring anime seasons, taking the time to catch up to older shows. So I'm watching Star Driver, which has the most fabulous transformation sequence!

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Apr 2013, 11:34

Highway wrote:Between winter and spring anime seasons, taking the time to catch up to older shows. So I'm watching Star Driver, which has the most fabulous transformation sequence!

"Show me your true power, Galactic Pretty Boy!" is sig worthy.

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Apr 2013, 15:39

JasonL wrote:You know what makes HBO's Girls look even worse? Putting it on right after the HBO BBC Parade's End with Cumberbatch etc.
Wait wait wait time out. Has this been on US HBO yet? Is it on HBO Go? I have been waiting A VERY LONG TIME to watch that miniseries.

ETA: It is on HBO Go! Finally! And without JasonL, I would probably never have known! Or at least not for a lot longer! OMG THIS WEEKEND IS GOING TO BE AMAZING.
Last edited by nicole on 02 Apr 2013, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Apr 2013, 15:43

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Highway wrote:Between winter and spring anime seasons, taking the time to catch up to older shows. So I'm watching Star Driver, which has the most fabulous transformation sequence!

"Show me your true power, Galactic Pretty Boy!" is sig worthy.
Man, do I even want to know?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Apr 2013, 15:53

nicole wrote:
JasonL wrote:You know what makes HBO's Girls look even worse? Putting it on right after the HBO BBC Parade's End with Cumberbatch etc.
Wait wait wait time out. Has this been on US HBO yet? Is it on HBO Go? I have been waiting A VERY LONG TIME to watch that miniseries.
I watched it on HBOGo, but saw it on HBO Regular a few times when scanning channels.

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Apr 2013, 15:53

Painboy wrote:Man, do I even want to know?
Actually, the show isn't too bad. Despite the fabulousness of Tauburn and the Ginga Bishounen, the rest of the Cybodies (what they call the mechs) are more utilitarian looking. I mean, it's an anime story, so explaining it will sound stupid (this one's not perverted sounding), but you have the good guys and the bad guys, and the four maidens keep the bad guys confined to the island, and the bad guys have to go through all sorts of other crap to control a cybody, while Takuto is able to summon and control his super easily. There's the usual weird story where all the characters go to the same high school, and the good guys know who the bad guys are, but they still all hang out together. I'm only 4 episodes in, and they've used that transformation every episode so far, so it's kind of approaching "We can waste a whole minute with this sequence we've got in the can" at this point (and another minute with a far less fabulous stock transformation sequence for the bad guys).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 02 Apr 2013, 15:57

Highway you are awesome.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Apr 2013, 17:03

Highway wrote:
Painboy wrote:Man, do I even want to know?
Actually, the show isn't too bad. Despite the fabulousness of Tauburn and the Ginga Bishounen, the rest of the Cybodies (what they call the mechs) are more utilitarian looking. I mean, it's an anime story, so explaining it will sound stupid (this one's not perverted sounding), but you have the good guys and the bad guys, and the four maidens keep the bad guys confined to the island, and the bad guys have to go through all sorts of other crap to control a cybody, while Takuto is able to summon and control his super easily. There's the usual weird story where all the characters go to the same high school, and the good guys know who the bad guys are, but they still all hang out together. I'm only 4 episodes in, and they've used that transformation every episode so far, so it's kind of approaching "We can waste a whole minute with this sequence we've got in the can" at this point (and another minute with a far less fabulous stock transformation sequence for the bad guys).
Thanks for the summary. I don't have the time these days to do the research to find the anime I like. I tend to be very picky about which ones I watch anymore. It's not so much a love/hate thing as it is a love/frustration thing. There's few things as good as good anime but that's not always easy to find. As far as introducing worlds and ideas anime and manga are great. It's where they go with it that often is the problem for me. That's where the frustration comes in. Weird tonal changes, unnecessary melodrama, or just general plot and character absurdity seem to invade, often without warning. And it sucks to invest the time getting into it only to realize it's going off the crazy cliff, or worse, just kind of sputtering out into incoherence.

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Apr 2013, 17:10

If you're looking for something good to watch, one I mentioned here before you were posting that just finished is Shin Sekai Yori (Link goes to my review of it, first post at Metanorn!). It was really an excellent series, great worldbuilding and coherence, and great themes dealing with humanity in a future where people have psychokinetic ability. It really held up from start to finish, no huge plot holes, no weird tangents. Every episode moves the story along and is a great experience. I highly recommend it.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Apr 2013, 20:29

Painboy wrote:I wrote this elsewhere about Shea:

I'm actually kind of concerned that the show might mess this up. In the book Shea is kind of enigmatic and even shown to be petty from time to time. You never really get a handle on who she is and there is always a kind of uneasiness about her motivations. When the betrayal happens it makes sense in hindsight. Something you didn't want to happen but seems almost obvious in retrospect.

In the show Shea comes off as a much stronger personality and even comes off as kind of principled. Her devotion to Tyrion comes off as a little too genuine at times. Not really some one who is going to lie down with whoever gives her the most pretty jewels. I'm worried that the whole betrayal will come off as contrived for viewers of the show.
Ok, now having seen the first GOT episode of Season 3, I think they are setting it up nicely, with the brief interaction between Shae & that other girl at the dock and especially the conversation between Tywin and Tyrion that everyone is talking about.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Apr 2013, 10:28

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Apr 2013, 15:26

I've been re-watching X-Files. And I think there's an under-appreciated genre of episode that falls between the Monster-of-the-Week episodes and the big Alien Conspiracy episodes: Episodes that either involve some sort of government conspiracy (possibly with involvement of Mulder's sources and/or Smoking Man), something about aliens without involvement of conspirators, or something that manages to advance the bigger storyline without aliens.

Examples:

Season 1 had a bunch of these, before it was made clear that the "main" story was about alien conspiracies. Deep Throat would give Mulder info on an experiment with cloned kids, or a person whose AI building security software has attracted government attention. Or Mulder would hypothesize that the outbreak in an arctic research station was alien, but Men In Black never showed up.

Season 2 had a few of these early in the season. Like the one where Mulder is investigating a monster in the sewers, and even though it doesn't involve aliens or whatever, the major story of the episode is Mulder trying to move back toward investigating the paranormal, and his interactions with Skinner, and Mr. X establishing contact with him. There was something going on that mattered for the big story, even if there were no aliens. Or the first episode with Krycek, which doesn't have any aliens but still has, well, Krycek. Or the one where the scientist investigating dark matter has a shadow with magical powers, and it turns out that Mr. X is also interested in the technology.

Season 3 had 2 classic episodes, the cockroach one and Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space' that involve aliens but are not really part of the conspiracy storyline. Or the episode where Skinner is framed for Murder and Smoking Man is watching the interrogation. Or the one where TV signals are driving people to murder and Mr. X is involved, and it sets up the storyline that will lead to his death.

There were others in later seasons, but I don't have time to list them all. But I'm realizing that I liked these because they tied into bigger stories than some random "Look! A monster in the swamp!" episode, but they weren't as frustrating as the alien conspiracy episodes.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Apr 2013, 16:26

Ellie wrote:
Ellie wrote:I just started watching Revenge on Netflix and am lazily enjoying it. It's full of beautiful spoiled people doing beautiful spoiled things; exactly the sort of mindless soapy entertainment I like for my background noise while I'm working on editing. Plus, the title is really fun to shout. REVENNNNNGGGGGE!
On to Season 2!
Man, talk about a sophomore slump. Geez, this season is boring and stupid. I don't give a shit about British-accent-squinty-eye-boyfriend or Nolan's girlfriend (as objectively adorable as she is). Moar REVENGE!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Apr 2013, 09:55

Two hour season premier of Mad Men. Just like going back on heroin.
Best scene: Roger consoling his secretary with drinks in his hand "there there" HA!
Needs more Joan. Holy shit, Christina Hendricks gets more irresistibly fuckable ever year.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 08 Apr 2013, 10:07

Warren wrote:Two hour season premier of Mad Men. Just like going back on heroin.
Best scene: Roger consoling his secretary with drinks in his hand "there there" HA!
Needs more Joan. Holy shit, Christina Hendricks gets more irresistibly fuckable ever year.
While that may be true, the way the show costumes her runs against that truth. She looks completely ridiculous in the show.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Apr 2013, 10:19

Ayn_Randian wrote:
Warren wrote:Two hour season premier of Mad Men. Just like going back on heroin.
While that may be true, the way the show costumes her runs against that truth. She looks completely ridiculous in the show.
GET OUT
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Apr 2013, 10:27

What the fuck are you saying AR? The words on my screen make no fucking sense! No sense AT ALL!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Apr 2013, 00:34

Hugh must have gotten to AR. This and GoT.

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Apr 2013, 06:26

women's clothing are getting less "classic" and a bit more experimental during that time period, so i sort of understand what he's saying.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Apr 2013, 06:33

Also, her body type (not her lovely face) is going out of style in that period. She may not respond with perfect rationality.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Apr 2013, 09:56

CH only had one minute of screen time in the two hour season opener. (Unforgivable!) It was not her best dress, or even close to what we've seen on her in previous seasons. It was still jaw dropping.

GoT this week had not one tit. Swinging or otherwise. I love the show, but it's got too many open plotlines. It needs to tie up a few before opening anymore. Diana Rigg was a welcome sight. Cersei attempting to instruct her brat in the ways of governing was good for a giggle. As was the interrogation of Theon. But in spite of spending some time beyond the wall, we didn't lean very much. And we didn't see the Dragon Queen in exile at all. Best line "I think you lost this war, the day you married her."

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 09 Apr 2013, 10:11

Warren wrote:
Ayn_Randian wrote:
GET OUT
No Warren. That purple dress made her look like a cartoon character. It looked like she had fuckin' missle silos bolted onto her chest. It was abjectly terrible.

To review, here is attractive Christina Hendricks:

And this is a Clown Costume, bro:

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Apr 2013, 10:20

AR discovers that 60s fashions were fucking terrible. Up next, a report on the color of the sky.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Apr 2013, 10:37

Ayn_Randian wrote:And this is a Clown Costume, bro:

All I can say to that is, I want to run away and join the circus.
I say again, Jaw. Dropping.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Apr 2013, 10:39

Ayn_Randian wrote:
And this is a Clown Costume, bro:

Yeah, the weird ruffles thing that cursed women's professional fashion for like 25 years was a bad one.