It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Jennifer » 18 Sep 2017, 22:21

I've watched the first two episodes of "The Orville," and it's pretty bad. Feels like Seth MacFarlane couldn't decide if he wanted to do a straightforward ripoff of Star Trek TNG or a rude-n-wacky comedy set in space, so he keeps flip-flopping between the two.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Sep 2017, 23:25

Ken Burns' Vietnam.
Fuuuuuu
I knew Ken would infuse his awful elitist politics in this. I was braced for that. Still he does good work when he puts his mind to it. I was hoping to learn something.
And I am learning. But why did he have to go with Peter Coyote to narrate the whole damned thing?

The smug! It Burns!
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 19 Sep 2017, 00:28

Time to play, "What's Netflix losing now?"

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/how-i-me ... tflix.html
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Sep 2017, 19:34

So ... now two eps into The Orville, and ... I think it was clearly too much to hope that it would hit the Galaxy Quest mark. And it could get better, but I don't think the problem is that it doesn't know whether it wants to be a satire or not. It's that it's not clever enough. The parody isn't good parody, the space opera isn't good space opera, and too few of the characters are fleshed out.

This episode came way too soon. We don't know Macfarlane or Palicki's characters well enough to care about their relationship yet. We don't know enough about Becky's green-ness or insecurities yet to feel for her when she's thrust into command. Nav-bro and Helm-bro are way too broad to work (and I kinda don't like anything that helm-bro has ever done).

This may be Fox fucking with the airing order, so maybe the next couple of episodes can fill things in better, but I'm mostly thinking that Macfarlane's heart is in the right place - he CLEARLY loves Trek - but he's just not a good enough writer to pull this off.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 20 Sep 2017, 19:48

The Vietnam documentary is pretty good so far. I am on ep 2.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Sep 2017, 20:37

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 19:48
The Vietnam documentary is pretty good so far. I am on ep 2.
The tapes of LBJ saying how stupid what he's about to do every step of the way would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic. I am surprised to learn that the Teach-Ins and marches were so organized and well attended prior to the draft.

But I don't know how much more of Coyote's voice I can take. Not to mention, the sound track needs to segue from Guthrie/Seegar to Stones/Airplane like tonight.

EDIT
And it did! :D Well not Stones and Airplane. Mostly Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel, but with some Donovan and Howlin Wolf thrown in.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Sep 2017, 09:40

lunchstealer wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 19:34
So ... now two eps into The Orville, and ... I think it was clearly too much to hope that it would hit the Galaxy Quest mark. And it could get better, but I don't think the problem is that it doesn't know whether it wants to be a satire or not. It's that it's not clever enough. The parody isn't good parody, the space opera isn't good space opera, and too few of the characters are fleshed out.

This episode came way too soon. We don't know Macfarlane or Palicki's characters well enough to care about their relationship yet. We don't know enough about Becky's green-ness or insecurities yet to feel for her when she's thrust into command. Nav-bro and Helm-bro are way too broad to work (and I kinda don't like anything that helm-bro has ever done).

This may be Fox fucking with the airing order, so maybe the next couple of episodes can fill things in better, but I'm mostly thinking that Macfarlane's heart is in the right place - he CLEARLY loves Trek - but he's just not a good enough writer to pull this off.
It's ... MacFarlane. He's terrible in all ways.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Sep 2017, 09:48

This Jason speaks my mind.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Sep 2017, 18:56

I watched 40 of the 80 minutes of the pilot for The Deuce, then I realised that I was more interested in being asleep.

I assume it's going to be another Treme.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Sep 2017, 19:00

Blew his wad, that guy did.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2017, 11:02

dbcooper wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 18:56
I watched 40 of the 80 minutes of the pilot for The Deuce, then I realised that I was more interested in being asleep.
Thanks for reminding me I wanted to check that out.
I had no trouble staying awake. I'm a sucker the retro look, and unlike 60s Mad Men, I remember the 70's. They nailed the 70's NYC I remember. Keep in mind I observed the 70's from my perch in Midwest suburbia. This is the NYC of Serpico and Taxi Driver, with the gritty realism even grittier and more realistic. Love the little touches like the John Waters movie playing in Times Square. For sure I'll watch the next couple of episodes and most likely the rest of first season.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 24 Sep 2017, 11:46

The Good Fight is a better show than the show that spawned it, The Good Wife, or at least it's better than the later seasons. The Good Wife managed to lose its most interesting characters and the central character almost always seemed like someone to whom things happened, rather than someone with much agency. But maybe that was the point. The character Maia Rindell in the sequel series is similar.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 24 Sep 2017, 13:00

Based on the last few seasons, and this season thus far, South Park is not worth keeping up with. Better to let other people decide which episodes are good and watch them later.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 24 Sep 2017, 15:40

If you want to see Lucy Liu repeatedly use the word "cunt" and talk about how she needs to visualize plane crashes to orgasm, I repeat my recommendation of Difficult People.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 24 Sep 2017, 22:19

Controversial opinion, only mediated by the low bar set:

The Orville is so far better than S1 of ST:TNG.

Fite me.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Sep 2017, 16:38

the innominate one wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 13:00
Based on the last few seasons, and this season thus far, South Park is not worth keeping up with. Better to let other people decide which episodes are good and watch them later.
For all that I thought the first episode of this season absolutely sucked, the second episode -- about North Korea, with Tweek standing in for Japan -- was quite funny.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Sep 2017, 18:42

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2017, 11:08

IMO the last episode of Rick and Morty ("The ABCs of Beth") was an awesome return to classic form, and a really good exploration of the Rick/Beth relationship, which when you get down to it is really the ultimate plot driver of the show.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 28 Sep 2017, 22:34

Andrew wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 12:29
the innominate one wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 12:26
Andrew wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 22:00
Season 4 of Bojack isn't exactly blowing my mind.
How far along are you?
4 episodes.
Did you, like Senator whatshername, persist?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Sep 2017, 23:02

I watched episodes 5, 6, and 7. Episodes 5 and 7 had some good jokes and were a big improvement over the first 4, but the increasingly political content is very annoying. Episode 6 with Bojack's internal criticism is the only one I've seen yet that I'd call good. Perhaps they get it together in the last 5 episodes, but so far it seems that they had no idea how to keep going after season 3 and decided to focus on the zany adventures of the other characters.

Paul F. Tompkins' voice work for Mr. Peanut Butter remains a delight, though. That's now the voice in my head for all labs (golden and otherwise) that I see.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 28 Sep 2017, 23:14

The main problem with season 4 is too little BoJack, too much about the other characters.

I don't like Mr. Peanutbutter.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 28 Sep 2017, 23:21

Though Bill Maher can be unctuous, annoying and sometimes dense, as well as sometimes humorous, I used to appreciate that he would try to have people from all sides of issues on, and he frequently has Nick Gillespie and Matt Welch on his show. However, he really ought to stop providing a platform for liars like Ralph Reed and idiots like SE Cupp (though to be fair, maybe she's less an idiot than another liar).

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Sep 2017, 09:00

Cupp is frickin voltaire compared to most of the under 45 woman right wing media personality field. Like, there's her, and Ham, and most who regularly writes for reason. Otherwise you might as well be Tomi Lahren.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Sep 2017, 09:26

It's evidently the 50th anniversary of the Prisoner today.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Sep 2017, 09:40

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 09:26
It's evidently the 50th anniversary of the Prisoner today.
Say, where is No. 6 anyways?